PDA

View Full Version : ABS Light

sk8ing19
08-30-2001, 07:50 PM
Okay so my ABS light popped on tonight, on my way home from work. Does anyone have any ideas as to what would cause it to come on?

Thanks
Chris

Stevebsy
08-30-2001, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by sk8ing19
Okay so my ABS light popped on tonight, on my way home from work. Does anyone have any ideas as to what would cause it to come on?

Thanks
Chris

Could be the relay problem showing up. Mine did this a couple of times only, then it never did it again. I still have the replacement relays in the glovebox though...

Next time it happens, turn the car off and listen under the hood. If you hear a buzzing from the ABS box, then it's the relay sticking on when it should be off.

There is a guy from the Yahoo site who found a replacement relay for super cheap compared to the Subaru one. Look up mtente on the yahoo board, he may have some left. It is a fairly standard relay, aparrently.

vkykam
08-30-2001, 09:27 PM
Chris,

Underneath the passenger seat, towards the rear, next to the right hand seat rail, there's a carpet flap that can be lifted up to reveal the Blinky light for the ABS computer. Next time the ABS light comes on, take a look to see how many blinks (1 to 16 I think) there are on the light.

I can dig up the code list or you can do a search around here for the meanings of the code.

VK

Thanks
Chris

sk8ing19
09-01-2001, 09:59 AM
If you could get those codes that would be great.

Thanks
Chris

Aredubjay
09-01-2001, 11:28 AM

Thanks
Chris

Chris,
E-mail me with your e-mail address and I'll attach a scan from the service manual with a diagram of the location of the abs self diagnosis light and the list of codes and send it back in my reply. My address is trspit80@aol.com

vkykam
09-01-2001, 11:08 PM
Here are the codes for the ABS blinky light under the seat:

0 (LED OFF) - Improper power line voltage or faulty harness
1 - Broken / Shorted Solenoid Valve Curcuits in hydraulic unit, LF
2 - Broken / Shorted Solenoid Valve Curcuits in hydraulic unit, RF
3 - Broken / Shorted Solenoid Valve Curcuits in hydraulic unit, RR
4 - Broken / Shorted Solenoid Valve Curcuits in hydraulic unit, LR
5 - Faulty ABS Sensor, LF
6 - Faulty ABS Sensor, RF
7 - Faulty ABS Sensor, RR
8 - Faulty ABS Sensor, LR
9 - Faulty Motor and/or Motor Relay Broken or shorted harness circuit
10 - Faulty Valve Relay or Broken or shorted harness circuit
16 - Faulty ABS Control Unit or G Sensor or Broke or shorted harness circuit, or other unidentified problem

VK

Thanks
Chris