PDA

View Full Version : Bumper plan, Part II

Stevebsy
08-28-2001, 08:20 PM
I've decided to start a new thread for any bumper updates.

Here is the original thread, just in case you are new to this topic:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=171

First, big thanks to Bill (subyQA) for letting me borrow his bumper for so long. The original plan was for me to keep his bumper and send him a new one, but since time has gotten scarce, the old one will be going back to him this week. (as well as a new one when this is all done)

Anyhoo, I made some progress over the last couple of days, I now have a plaster mold that is nearly complete. I need to seal it up, hopefully tomorrow, then wax it up good about 6-7 times and it will be ready so I can move on to the next step, the modifications. (the fun part)

I'll take my plaster mold, add clay to fill in the scoops and also to make the cavities for the foglamps/aux air scoops. Then I'll lay up a thin fiberglass test part and hook it to my car and take some pics. I'll then layup a thicker part which will become the master pattern that I'll modify to make the master for final product.

A few Q's for you interested customers:

What size ducting are you people looking for out of the smaller openings? I was thinking of 4" diameter, as that will give about 12 sq in of cross section. 5" might work too... depends on how big the rectangular opening turns out.

Anyone have some rectangular foglamps they're not using that they would like to donate to the cause? I'll either return them or buy them when I'm done with the R&D work, or give you a good discount if you are buying a bumper.

Guess that's all for right now. Any questions, comments, etc.. (other than Hurry Up! :P) let me know.

deligeds
08-28-2001, 09:12 PM
I would lean toward a little bigger opening - at least 5 inches. Thanks for the detailed info on your production plan. I am a bit puzzled, though. Looking back at the original oneoff model, it seems that the lower portion of the bumper is not at all recessed, but tapers down just slightly from the bumper's "nose". The lower portion of our stock bumper, however, is significantly recessed, giving the appearance that the "nose" sticks out much farther. To see what I'm talking about, compare, for example:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/~chris/oneoff1.jpg

to

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/1994SubaruSVX/601.bmp

Wouldn't you need to remove quite a bit of plaster from the lower portion of that stock mold (before adding clay for the radiator and fog light openings) in order to account for this? Maybe you're already on top of this and I'm just missing something.

Stevebsy
08-28-2001, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by deligeds

Wouldn't you need to remove quite a bit of plaster from the lower portion of that stock mold (before adding clay for the radiator and fog light openings) in order to account for this? Maybe you're already on top of this and I'm just missing something.

Well, you kinda have it right. I guess I left out the final step of making a production mold.
The process is like this: plaster mold = female mold taken from the original master (ie my car), the sturdy part taken from plaster mold is what is called the new master (or plug). Another layup is done on the finished plug to create the production mold.

If I wanted to use the plaster mold for production (which can be done for slight modifications), you are right, I would have to do a lot of carving to get the features we want. However, all the mods will be done on the plug, which means the new features are built up with clay instead of carved out.

Make sense? Hope so :O

SVX10
08-29-2001, 12:56 PM
I have 2 Pilot "rectangle" foggers you could use. They aren't exactly rectangular...they're more of an oval shape. They're about 5" wide and 2" tall...but you can use 'em if you want...just let me know...you can e-mail if you want.
mateodenewmexico@hotmail.com
Looking forward to the finished bumper, although it looks like my funds might be too low to buy right away (as much as I want to!). Anyway, let me know if you want them.
Mat-1

deligeds
08-29-2001, 08:04 PM
Cool. Makes perfect sense. I figured you had it all worked out, but ya just never know!

cdigerlando
08-29-2001, 08:10 PM
I would highly recommend making even larger side vents. These could be used for a tranny cooler on the driver's side and air intake on the passengers side. I don't think it is a huge big deal though. I am just happy you are doing so well on the project. As for the bumper recession, I agree, it should not be recessed. The one we were looking at originally is not. It would also be impossible to fit in a second radiator or an intercooler radiator:D

Good luck on the project. I am sorry but I have no Fog lights for you to use except from my WRX which I would be willing to part with for the cause. Let me know.

Chad
08-29-2001, 08:20 PM
I want to know what style this is going to be.

Please point me in the right direction.

cdigerlando
08-29-2001, 08:22 PM
Check the links Deligeds posted. The first link of the white car. Its bad to the bone.

suby_qa
08-31-2001, 09:07 PM
{What size ducting are you people looking for out of the smaller openings? I was thinking of 4" diameter, as that will give about 12 sq in of cross section. 5" might work too... depends on how big the rectangular opening turns out.

Anyone have some rectangular foglamps they're not using that they would like to donate to the cause? }

Since some will use for ducting while others will perhaps prefer fog lamps, I would think it would be a good idea to make them a size which is a very popular size & shape of a good quality fog lamp. I am not real familiar with what would fit this bill. Any suggestions out there? Ducting can be accommodated much easier than trying to float or shoe horn a foglamp into a somewhat odd shape. Just my .02

Thanks again Steve for all of the hard work.

Bill

cryo230
09-05-2001, 02:34 PM
how much do you think this bumper will be going for?

cocacola08
09-05-2001, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by cryo230
how much do you think this bumper will be going for?

Posted by stevesby in the aforementioned thread:
Pricing/ordering information:
-Pricing will be $500 + shipping if I receive 10+ orders total by April 12
-Pricing will be $550 + shipping for <10 orders total by April 12
-I will not require a downpayment, but those who promise to purchase
and do not follow through will be publicly flogged/humiliated
-I will request payment when the production tooling is ready
-Estimated that production tooling will be ready Late May/Early June

I don't know how many orders he got so I don't know the final price.

SVXMAN2001
09-05-2001, 03:13 PM
stevesby, I defintaly want one. My email is westphalc2@uofs.edu. Please keep me informed of the progress. and when the payments are needed. thanks

chris

Stevebsy
09-05-2001, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by suby_qa
Since some will use for ducting while others will perhaps prefer fog lamps, I would think it would be a good idea to make them a size which is a very popular size & shape of a good quality fog lamp. I am not real familiar with what would fit this bill. Any suggestions out there? Ducting can be accommodated much easier than trying to float or shoe horn a foglamp into a somewhat odd shape. Just my .02

Well, the plan is to have the front of the opening shaped in a semi rectangular manner and have it taper back like a funnel into a round duct.

Depending on how the tooling goes, I may leave the duct closed up so that it will be sealed unless cut open by someone who wants to run a duct off to a intercooler, tranny cooler, ram air, brake cooler, etc...

So.. both crowds should be able to work with it. I suppose with small foglites you could run ducting and get the best of both worlds.

Thanks again Steve for all of the hard work.

Thanks for the kind thoughts :) Hopefully most of the people who wrote me with interest in this will be there in the end to buy one :)

Stevebsy
09-05-2001, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by cocacola08

Posted by stevesby in the aforementioned thread:
Pricing/ordering information:
-Pricing will be $500 + shipping if I receive 10+ orders total by April 12
-Pricing will be $550 + shipping for <10 orders total by April 12
-I will not require a downpayment, but those who promise to purchase
and do not follow through will be publicly flogged/humiliated
-I will request payment when the production tooling is ready
-Estimated that production tooling will be ready Late May/Early June

I don't know how many orders he got so I don't know the final price.

Well, most of that is still right (except the may/june part) :rolleyes:

The price will probably be $500 unless materials cost more than my research has turned up so far. The bumper will come with a sandable primer surface, ready for your bodyshop to paint. It will bolt in place of your existing bumper without a problem.

Unfortunately, because of the carton size, you will have to pay shipping which could be as bad as $125 because this has to go truck freight. I'm working on finding a better deal for shipping. Of course, anyone near me is welcome to pick up in person. Perhaps I'll make a 'bumper run' down to Chicago if the logistics can be worked out for delivering a few at once.

I'll be asking for a $200 deposit once I get the mold a little farther along so that I can gauge the real interest and figure out how much material to order and purchase some equipment. I love doing this, but I've got to cover my behind too ;)

A few people asked about making a carbon fiber one. It can be done, but the price is going to be quite a bit more, as the materials are mucho$$$, and they also require more TLC to make them right.

PS if anyone wants to order and pay for 200 bumpers, I can quit my job and get this done a little sooner....anyone?? :)

cocacola08
09-05-2001, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Stevebsy

PS if anyone wants to order and pay for 200 bumpers, I can quit my job and get this done a little sooner....anyone?? :)

Send a message to motorsport whse or JC sports, Kinetic concepts, etc

Maybe they could market it for you and buy a bunch at once and sell them that way!!

cdigerlando
09-05-2001, 08:09 PM
I would be interested in paying extra for CF. I would also like it if you could do a lip around the big opening so I can easily mount a radiator. I would just request that you make sure there is more than a few inches to fit a radiator for my intercooler.

cdigerlando
09-05-2001, 08:11 PM
Let me know when you need a deposit. I really need to get this soon to make my timetable for installing the Tec II. If I wait much longer the warranty will go out on all this stuff before it is even installed

svx1
09-05-2001, 09:36 PM
hey stevebsy
i def. would like one of the bumpers, my email address is jakeusmc3000@aol.com, please let me know what i need to do and when so i can get one. thanks alot.

maximvsv
09-06-2001, 12:10 AM
I can't find the article right now, but it was in the British version of MAXPower magazine that I saw an article on the buildup of a kit for a Honda. The point of this being that the work done to the "plug" involved creating a substructure of styrofoam over which clay, and I expect some bonding material, was added to provide the rough framework for the surface clay.

I don't know if that's your method, but it seems to me like it would make it less tedious to maneuver the plug around if that should be necessary.

As for shipping, USPS parcel post can be pretty good, if they'll take it.

Stevebsy
09-09-2001, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by maximvsv
I can't find the article right now, but it was in the British version of MAXPower magazine that I saw an article on the buildup of a kit for a Honda. The point of this being that the work done to the "plug" involved creating a substructure of styrofoam over which clay, and I expect some bonding material, was added to provide the rough framework for the surface clay.

I don't know if that's your method, but it seems to me like it would make it less tedious to maneuver the plug around if that should be necessary.

As for shipping, USPS parcel post can be pretty good, if they'll take it.

Well, my method is somewhat similar to what you mention, except I used a special plaster to pull a mold off of my car. This mold, which I just finished sealing, will then be used to pull a plug/master from. It is to this plug that I will do all the modifications, leaving the original mold available for future projects.

Unfortunately the box the bumper requires is over the length+girth requirements for USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc.. They require length+girth < 130" Unfortunately, the bumper itself is about 72" and it is about 29" deep and about 15-18 high, which puts it over the limit. I did find a new place that'll ship it for $74 (at least to Indiana) so that's good news.

Stevebsy
09-09-2001, 05:20 PM
:D :D Ok, I have gotten far enough along this weekend to begin taking deposits for bumpers. :D :D

Please review the earlier posts for the style of bumper to be produced.

Here are the terms:

Price of fiberglass bumper with primer finish = $500
Price of CF bumper with gel coat (clear) finish = $TBD

You pay shipping for either, or arrange a pickup locally. If there is enough interest, I may make a delivery run to a pre-determined city and save you some shipping. We will have to see about this though.

Deposit terms:
$200 deposit with balance due before shipping. First production bumper to be shipped before October 31st. If I fail to begin production on time, you may either receive your deposit back, or a $50 discount on your bumper. I don't anticipate this happening, but just in case....

Those who want the CF bumper can also send a $200 deposit, and the balance will be due before shipping. If you are not happy with the final price (which I must determine) you may apply it to a fiberglass bumper, or receive a refund. Due to the size, the bumpers have to be sent truck freight, approx $75-$125

You may send payments through PayPal to my email address stevebsy@yahoo.com. Visit http://www.paypal.com if you don't already have an account there. It is a good service. Otherwise you may send a money order to the following address:

Steve Syck
1426 Swan Lake Road
Duluth, MN 55811

Please send me an email at stevebsy@yahoo.com to let me know if you are mailing a payment so I can tell you when it arrives and what customer # you will be. Use the same address for any questions.

Thanks!