PDA

View Full Version : Koni strut.....help....can't get the factory strut out

andivic
08-27-2001, 04:55 PM
Hey members:

I will be very very appreciated if anyone can share their experience of installing their Koni struts. I am having trouble with cutting the factory strut and i just can't get it out. I am afraid if i cut it more then i will destroy it. My email address is andivic@hotmail.com. or leave me your phone number then I will call you in person. Thannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnks.

cocacola08
08-29-2001, 10:21 AM
try sending an email to: dayle@motorsportwarehouse.com

That who I bought mine from and he's done the process before he may be able to shed some light on it for you

cdigerlando
08-29-2001, 08:12 PM
Did you get my e-mails?

andivic
08-29-2001, 10:07 PM
Hi Chunk:

Oh I got your email. and i am sure it would help a lot. thanks again. I will let you know how it goes...... by the way how's your turbo ? Is it fast ??? I heard it can add like 100 extra horse power to your SVX, am I right ?

andivic
08-29-2001, 10:09 PM
Hi cocacola08:

Thanks for the hint. I already contact Dayle and Chunk. They gave me some picture and it helps a lot. Well how about your koni struts ? I remember you got a set from Dayle also right ? Did you start installing it ?

svx_commuter
08-30-2001, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by andivic
Hey members:

I am having trouble with cutting the factory strut and i just can't get it out.

When you say you can't get it out... do you mean out of the car? I have removed both my front struts and I replaced with new factory struts. I also cut the top off my old strut to see how it works. So maybe I can help. The one I took apart was bent. The shaft was bent. I used a saws-all with a metal cutting blade to cut the top off. It was about a 1/4 inch from the top and only went in deep enough to cut the outside tube. The cut also went into the metal retaining ring a small amout. The lip seal and the metal bushing at the top came out pretty easy with the cut in this area. I think it only left a small burr. The guts and oil came out after that. :)

cocacola08
08-31-2001, 11:10 AM
Hi cocacola08:

Thanks for the hint. I already contact Dayle and Chunk. They gave me some picture and it helps a lot. Well how about your koni struts ? I remember you got a set from Dayle also right ? Did you start installing it ?

they have been sitting in my garage for, oh about----what is today----19months untouched. I have a buddy who is part owner of a shop nearby. We just need to set up a time. as of yet I'm just trying to find a period of time where I can be without the car for a couple of days.

While we have them off we've been talking about taking a coil (or part of one) out of the springs. thus lowering the car

cocacola08
08-31-2001, 11:11 AM
Hi Chunk:

Chunk? some people may take offence to that!!!!:D :D :D

1994SubaruSVX
08-31-2001, 04:02 PM
instead of cutting a coal you could just buy the ground control springs. me and chuck...not chunk.....have the ground control/koni setup and so far i have been please with the performance.

cocacola08
08-31-2001, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
instead of cutting a coal you could just buy the ground control springs. me and chuck...not chunk.....have the ground control/koni setup and so far i have been please with the performance.

If I had $600 sitting around I would, but for now (emphasis on FOR NOW) i'll take the poor man's route

that is if I even do that! I'm weary of ruining the integrity of the spring and end up with them braking

cdigerlando
08-31-2001, 06:14 PM
well I do have some lovehandles;)

cdigerlando
08-31-2001, 06:17 PM
I would be interested to hear how that comes out. I should have kept my old ones. Then you could have tried to match them to something new aftermarket. I bet that would be cheaper and probably more comfortable than the GC springs.

suby_qa
08-31-2001, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by cocacola08

they have been sitting in my garage for, oh about----what is today----19months untouched. I have a buddy who is part owner of a shop nearby. We just need to set up a time. as of yet I'm just trying to find a period of time where I can be without the car for a couple of days.

While we have them off we've been talking about taking a coil (or part of one) out of the springs. thus lowering the car

It is best not to cut a portion out of the coil springs, but rather obtain a WHOLE spring that will fit your car.

andivic
09-01-2001, 12:52 AM
Hi svx_commuter:

Thanks for the tips, that was also a big help.

What I meant can't get it out was the Macphearson inserts, but now its fine. I got some pictures from "cdigerlando" and Dayle at motorsport warehouse. I already had it done, and can't wait to modify the rear two, but school starts next week, don't know if i will have time for them ...........
:(

andivic
09-01-2001, 01:03 AM
"While we have them off we've been talking about taking a coil (or part of one) out of the springs. thus lowering the car"

Friend of mine did the cutting of his spring for his civic to make the car even lower, cuz he think the H&R he had is not lowing the car much enough. After he install the cut ones in the back, then he ended up putting back the H&R, cuz the stock spring is not hard/strong enough therefore can't pull the car up while the car go down under a sharp turn...........you know how gravity will do to a car while under sharp turn :)

andivic
09-01-2001, 01:05 AM
""""Chunk? some people may take offence to that!!!!""""

wait wait wait are you talking about me ??? I don't know if i did say something wrong ??

cdigerlando
09-01-2001, 07:10 AM
You just mispelled my name. Don't worry about it. FYI my name is Chuck.

SVXtc
09-02-2001, 11:44 AM
So let me get this straight. You need both the Koni struts and the Ground Control Springs to be able to lower the front of the car, correct. How much does this cost and is it easy. If anyone has done this to the front, are you satisfied with the results. I plan on doing this shortly.