PDA

View Full Version : What to do when the engine is pulled??

2wingedterror
09-13-2003, 07:57 AM
Im considering buying an svx that needs a head gasket(hopefully thats all). Local subaru dealer quoted me at close to 1600 to change both head gaskets, and do the timing belt. Is there anything else that will, should be done while the engine is out? Would I be better off to just find a running engine and swap them out? Is swapping an svx engine any more difficult than other cars with strait 6 or 4 cyl engines? Thanks!

Zeppelin
09-13-2003, 10:53 AM
It shouldn't cost that much to swap out the head gaskets.. I know a few shops around here that could probably do it for cheaper..

2wingedterror
09-13-2003, 11:30 AM
What shops would you recomend? I have called pdf automotive, and was quoted close to 1300 just for 1 side head gasket, and nothing extra except shop supplies, coolant, oil change. Have considered calling foreign aid, Alpine autohaus,,,but my guess is that both those will be close to the other quotes, because they are top level shops(IMO).

Zeppelin
09-13-2003, 11:42 AM
I'm a delivery driver for AutoZone, so I see a few shops, and I would recommend Atlas Auto (probably the cheapest), or Katz auto for any repairs you would need. Atlas does lots of engine work (just rebuilt a 400hp 300ZX twin turbo motor last week, and a Ford diesel with a T66 turbo pushing 18psi!), so they know their stuff, but they only have room for 2 cars, so you may wait a little bit. The owner's son had a friend with an SVX, so he's familiar with them. Katz also does great work, and they are a real great bunch to deal with. I can get you a quote if you want..

Where's this SVX at? I see one on either Ute or Pitkin on my way home from work. It has a spare on the right front I think.

svx_commuter
09-13-2003, 11:43 AM
I hope your head gasket change is a success. :D
I also hope your SVX does not have a wrapped head. :(
If you know why the head geasket is leaking it may help out.
After the engine comes out and the heads are off, the block and the heads have to be checked for flatness. They should be flat provided the engine has not over heated and the exhaust pipes have not been slamed into the ground. What do you do at the dealer when they tell you the heads need to be reconditioned? Oh $1600 sounds good as long as you do not need anything else.
I feel for you man and may your heads always be flat.:)

2wingedterror
09-13-2003, 12:21 PM
Well, the car isnt mine yet, and may very well be somebody elses new problem right now, as the seller has given me the brush off. I figured the head(s) would need resurfaced. Isnt that normal procedure when replacing a head gasket? I havent heard the car run yet, but am told it does, so would guess that the head isnt cracked, but most likely does need resurfaced because it overheated. Regarding jamming the exhaust pipes into the ground,, is that a common problem? I suppose that could mess up a head if they hit hard enough. Zeppelin, the car is out in fruita, its not a driver. Needs to be towed to a shop to become a driver. Seems like a good deal, I have the $$ to do it, but am just wasting time and effort trying to make the deal. Thanks for the shop info. If the deal is successful, I will call those shops!

Zeppelin
09-13-2003, 12:45 PM
Where in Fruita? I'd be willing to take a look at it this weekend with you if you want.. I live near the corner of 31 1/2 & E road. My # is 242-0897

-Mark

2wingedterror
09-13-2003, 02:55 PM
Its at a storage facility in fruita. I dont think there will be any need to inspect it. My bet is that its already gone. I can try to get hold of the owner again, and if the car is still available, then I will call you and see if we can check it out. Hey, was your svx a deep shiny blue? If so, I think I Saw it before.

Thanks!

Zeppelin
09-13-2003, 03:32 PM
Nope, mine was pearl white with red accents (click the link in my signature to view my web page).. I know of a blue that lives about 500 yards away from me.. I met them the day they bought their SVX!

2wingedterror
09-13-2003, 03:40 PM
My friend lives in that same neighborhood as the blue svx. I have only seen it a couple times, but it looks very nice. I almost bought an ae86 corolla gts from a girl in that neighborhood, but that deal fell through as well. Dam, I just cant get hooked up with a nice tuner car! Im just almost finished fixing up a toyota cressida(to running condition), and have an xr4ti in my driveway that will get a head gasket soon, so I really cant complain too much. By the way, why did you sell your svx?