PDA

View Full Version : Neons and Rap music RULE

neon03
09-09-2003, 10:33 PM
I have been reading on this forum for about a month and I know everyone has opinions but I have read alot of hate posts( I don't like this or that). I love my cars, Neon, SVX, XR4TI and I am shocked at the dissrespect I have read toward the Neons and other cars. An SVX is a very cool car but it is not the best car ever made. And a SVX don't want no parts of a SRT-4 trust me I know. And what is with the rap bashing what does that have to do with the SVX, I know we have a forum for stuff not exactly SVX but coming on and telling everyone you dont like a certain type of music, whooo cares, if someone would have asked that would be diffrent but no one did. You are the type of person who makes someone want to go out and buy a big subwoofer and play it loud so you have to listen to it. By the way Jay-Z is the illest rapper ever period.

NomadTW
09-10-2003, 01:36 AM
*sniff sniff

hmmm where's the bridge

SVX10
09-10-2003, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by neon03
An SVX is a very cool car but it is not the best car ever made. And a SVX don't want no parts of a SRT-4 trust me I know.

First of all, YES IT IS!!! :)
Second of all, it's the SRT-4 that wants no part of the SVX. :o And the crowd sez *ooOOOOOOOOoooOOOOoOO*

Landshark
09-10-2003, 05:42 AM
the problem was, this 'Off Topic' forum wasn't always here. we used to have every thread in the other forums degenerate into a 'why Neons are good' soapbox. you may post about Neons and rap until you are nauseated in THIS forum because this is the right place to do it.

i don't really think everyone thinks SVX's are the best car ever made. i think everyone here is painfully aware of its faults. an SVX and SRT-4 are in two completely different categories, so what is the point in comparing them? an STi will eat an SRT-4 for lunch - does this prove anything?

i'll agree that Jay-Z is indeed the illest rapper evAr. i would go so far as to say that he is unrivalled in musical ability. a talent like his will be held in awe for generations. i know when i think of the word 'ill', i think of Jay-Z.

RRX
09-10-2003, 06:21 AM
And what is with the rap bashing what does that have to do with the SVX, I know we have a forum for stuff not exactly SVX but coming on and telling everyone you dont like a certain type of music, whooo cares,

I agree..some people have too much time on their hands..Nobody gives a fu#k if you like rap music or not.. Don't buy it then..I don't like certian music but don't feel i need to bash it on a car forum..Simple enough I don't buy it. Every week some geek on this board is always mocking what they call "ghetto slang" (I guess thats what the preppy people call it) Anyways they sound stupid and don't know what the hell they are talking about. The funny thing is us rap listening, "ghetto talking" people can care less about these tight asses.

neon03
09-10-2003, 08:15 AM
Landshark is right, a STI will destroy a SRT-4. They are in two different leagues and that was my point, you cant compare two totally diffrent cars. Well you can but whats the point.

P.S. This place is great :p

Landshark
09-10-2003, 08:36 AM
Landshark is right, a STI will destroy a SRT-4. They are in two different leagues and that was my point, you cant compare two totally diffrent cars. Well you can but whats the point.

P.S. This place is great :p

too many people think the SVX is a stoplight-to-stoplight drag racer, when it is the exact opposite - a high speed grand touring car. its heavy and its geared for high speed cruising. if you want a tossable car to rip around town in, you'd be better off with a WRX/SRT-4/etc.

sure, it would be nice to have more power, even just for highway cruising. unfortunately, what you're going to pay to do it just makes it unreasonable, at least IMHO. :(

JLittell
09-10-2003, 09:54 AM
I guess everyone is entitled to their opinions...:)

petesvx2
09-10-2003, 09:55 AM
I'm going to have to say Jay-Z although he is talented, has not done alot to impress me as of late. But then again I'm more into older mid 90's rap i.e Pac , BIG , Big L, Lost Boyz etc. Jay-Z is definitley ill though if you are listening to the right song! for example D'evils, or Brooklyn's Finest.:D

And i do enjoy looking at the SRT-4....I think its pretty sweet.

GreenMarine
09-10-2003, 11:38 AM
Opinions, opinions...... How about everyone bring their opinions to this thread and tell us all how you feel about Rap Music and Neons...

I'll tell ya mine... I think Rap Music really sucks... I don't see the point of these people that are suppose to be role models "singing" about guns, drugs, *****es and fat ridz... But that is the beauty of america and I can't change that... Neons may be cheap transportation but I would never own one... Even after looking at an article where they tore down one of the SRT-4's engines... It had some thought into it, but I am a Suby guy for life... Sorry Dodge:rolleyes: :cool:

Aredubjay
09-10-2003, 11:49 AM
Once more, George Santana's words ring true:

"Those who ignore history are destined to repeat it."

SHISVX
09-10-2003, 12:31 PM
hey Randy....what's up??

:DKelli

SVX26517
09-10-2003, 12:58 PM
i drove a neon before, id rather ride a bus in isreal full of arabs

SHISVX
09-10-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by SVX26517
i drove a neon before, id rather ride a bus in isreal full of arabs

LMAO

Aredubjay
09-10-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by SHISVX
hey Randy....what's up??

:DKelli

Well, it's certainly not the collective IQ of this board, lately. :D:D:D

Just joshin', y'all. don't get your panties in a wad. :D

SHISVX
09-10-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Aredubjay

i thought you were the only guy here who wore panties...

Kelli

JLittell
09-10-2003, 01:34 PM
Kelli, We all wear panties here...and some don't wear anything at all...So what's you point? ;)

SHISVX
09-10-2003, 01:51 PM
i must be on the wrong forum....

darn it:mad:

Kelli

(are they the lacey kind???:D)

Chicane
09-10-2003, 02:16 PM
If you really think Rap music 'rules', I invite you to my anti rap music thread to have a debate. As for neons, I think they're great performance platforms (So are eclipses), but one, they're everywhere, and two, the interior sucks. The whole car just radiates 'cheapness'. They sure handle and accelerate great though.

- Rob

NikFu S.
09-10-2003, 05:29 PM
i am one of the biggest rap fans ever, who is not a wigger.
ive been such for 5 years.
i am one of the biggest neon haters ever, who likes dodge.
ive been such for 3 years.

i dont have a lifelong bias.

experiences in life just let me evolve to this current state of enlightenment.

plus i like techno and trance and HH better than rap, i just dont listen to it much.

an equally tuned XT6 will smash any neon.

im not really into lace.

Subafreak
09-10-2003, 06:32 PM
Who's Jayz? BONE RULES!!!!

Yet to find a fast Neon. Sorry Rob but I think your lying , they don't really exsist do they?

gordon gekko
09-10-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX

I'll tell ya mine... I think Rap Music really sucks... I don't see the point of these people that are suppose to be role models "singing" about guns, drugs, *****es and fat ridz...

Sorry, but I really hate hearing this "rappers are supposed to role models" ****. Why are they supposed to be role models? All they get paid to do is rap. They don't have any other obligations to you or little Johnny who buys his albums. Besides, where are the parents in all this? They're supposed to be the real role models in a kid's life. And don't act like it's only rappers who are fukk-ups either. There are a million rock stars, movie stars, and athletes out there who set just as bad an example as these "horrible" rap stars do. Just because someone gets thrown in front of a TV, doesn't mean they're ready to be a role model for America's youth. Just my two cents.

svxistentialist
09-11-2003, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Randy, you are so right.

I go away for two weeks, the collective IQ on the forum plummets.

How's it going dude?

Not that anybody cares, or should, but I am not a fan of rap music either. [And whatever a preppy is, I'm not it] It's too crossover for me. I admire it as an art form that evolved from ghetto culture, and because I believe change is imperative.

It's just the old fashioned part of me that insists that music ought to have a tune or a melody. I do like eminem's brand of vitriol, there is music in it, but I suspect from the sounds of the fans on here, he is probably not sick or ill enough to get a look in.

Joe:D

LarryIII
09-11-2003, 04:36 AM
I prefer Gregorian Chant and PT Cruisers. :D :D

A question to SVX26517.... Can you please post a comparison between your Plymouth Volare and a Neon?

SVX26517
09-11-2003, 01:11 PM
A question to SVX26517.... Can you please post a comparison between your Plymouth Volare and a Neon?

Round headlights :D

But to tell ya the truth, the Volare is a real nice car. If i can get my butt in gear and get the choke fixed, i would drive her, but for now im stuck with the Mirage with its nice sounding tranny :)

MOPAR or no car.

Chicane
09-11-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Subafreak
Yet to find a fast Neon. Sorry Rob but I think your lying , they don't really exsist do they?

Ask Phil about the guy he knows with the white neon. (Phast SVX). I could show you vids of lots of them in the 13s, and quite a few in the 12s, and some in the 11s, and 10s, but I'm a biased source. Please PM Phil about it.

- Rob

marlettpat
09-11-2003, 04:18 PM
why do i see the poor svx compared to an srt4 all the freakin time!? there is nothing putting them into the same class, or even the same school. people say "my car is faster blah blah blah", thats cuz we own different cars.

As for me, i sorta like regular neons. although uncomfortable, i love the gas milage and for some reason i like the exterior and they can be exteriorly modded very nicely.

I love rap music and have for many many years....or atleast as long as i have listened to music. there is a line i draw. i dont like yelling rap. i like rap that gets me movin......ok, no comments from anyone on that one........

Chicane
09-11-2003, 05:38 PM
I'm not the one bringing up the SRT4.

I'm talking about REGULAR 1st gen neons. The coupes. They have an identical power/weight ratio as the SVX, and they handle great. They're dirt cheap. They're reliable.

Why'd I sell mine?

I like the SVX better. :D

hehe

- Rob

mikecg
09-11-2003, 05:59 PM
Ok, everyone else has thier opinions, heres mine.

1) I dont like opera

2) I agree the neon is faster off the start, but I wouldn't try driving from Maine to Florida at 100+ mph in one. The SVX is capable of high speeds for long dorations. I resently drove 300 mile at 1am. I determined I get my best gas mileage between 85 and 100mph. The cars engine just purrrs happly along.

3) I have never been a fan of the neon. I don't find it physically appearing.

4) I don't believe Dodges are undependable as a rule. I owned a 96 Status. I but 120,000 miles on it with no major maintenance. It still ran like new when I traded it.

5) No matter what vehicle you talk about you will find someone who does not like them and people that have had bad exspirences with them. Ive vn met people who think the SVX is ugly because of the windows, but most are just intreaged.

6) If you worry about what everyone else thinks you'll have a miserable life, because someone will always have a different opinion and argue with you.

7) If you disagree with me on any of the above, good for you. that means you have a mind of your own and you know how to use it to form your own opinions, but dont try to change mine, because they are mine.

mikecg
09-11-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Chicane

Ask Phil about the guy he knows with the white neon. (Phast SVX). I could show you vids of lots of them in the 13s, and quite a few in the 12s, and some in the 11s, and 10s, but I'm a biased source. Please PM Phil about it.

- Rob

I've seen a Ford Pinto do 9's. You can make anything go fast with enough money. they got 4 cylinder hondas turning 10's in the NOPI series without turbos.

Chicane
09-11-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by mikecg

I've seen a Ford Pinto do 9's. You can make anything go fast with enough money. they got 4 cylinder hondas turning 10's in the NOPI series without turbos.

We're not talking a lot of money. Neons can be had for under 3 grand, EASY. Turbo kits can be had for cheap also. The best thing, and engine swap to a 2.4 4 banger, is also under 1000 dollars.

Think of this: Neon Coupe with blown engine: 1000 dollars
2.4 junkyard engine: 600 dollars
2.4 engine mount kit? 80 dollars.

It'll run high 13s for dirt cheap. Reliable also.

- Rob

mikecg
09-11-2003, 07:27 PM
pinto body $400
small block v-8 $800 (rebulit)
cheap blower $1000
NOS $500

How fast you think it'll go?

in this case your talking light weight, high horsepower by lowtech means.

Chicane
09-11-2003, 07:37 PM
I haven't seen any complete rust free pinto bodies laying around. Nor was I aware you can bolt a V8 into a pinto. If what you said is true, cool. :)

- Rob

neon03
09-11-2003, 09:46 PM
search the net a few people put a v8 into a pinto. Look at my Merkur, it has a 2.3 pinto motor, the turbo version and it pushes 180 hp and almost 200 lb-ft torque. There are a few pintos with this turbo motor and they are fast.

Landshark
09-11-2003, 10:21 PM
what about the Monster Miata, with a Mustang 5.0 V8? fast, yes. cool, no. you could be the fastest hairdresser around, though. :D

svxistentialist
09-12-2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by Landshark
what about the Monster Miata, with a Mustang 5.0 V8? fast, yes. cool, no. you could be the fastest hairdresser around, though. :D

You could do a blow-dry in what? about 10 seconds?

Joe:rolleyes: :)

svxistentialist
09-12-2003, 03:54 AM
This thread has come a long way from Neons and rapping. Comparing cars for speed and power, and mostly, not comparing like with like.

Seems in the US, making a quick car is about making it go like a dragster. The SVX will never shine in such comparisons, it was designed as a high-speed cruiser, is too heavy and the gearing is wrong.

My favourite comparator for kick-ass and muscle cars is 0-100-0.

To do well, you need:
Good power to weight. For acceleration.
Good traction. Ditto.
Wide tyres. As above.
Seriously big brakes. For stopping.
Light weight. For braking.
More torque than horsepower. For launching the weight.

Like drag racing, too much weight will work against a good run here. Too much mass has to be speeded up [at huge cost] then slowed down again.

The SVX would not do well here either because of the weight. But it is still one of the best cars in the world, because that weight gives comfortable body movement and high speed stability in real world driving. The range of abilities makes the car way better than the sum of its parts, or performance figures.

Likewise, it is fair to say that this "sum of the parts being better than the whole car" equation makes the Neon a good car too, when looked at for it's design brief, and place in the market.

Long post I know, but, bottom line, only compare the SVX with cars that are its natural peers, those it was meant to market against.
{And Rob, that last point does not mean cars that can be bought for, or modded up for the same money NOW, OK?}

Joe:)

Landshark
09-12-2003, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by svxistentialist
This thread has come a long way from Neons and rapping. Comparing cars for speed and power, and mostly, not comparing like with like.

Seems in the US, making a quick car is about making it go like a dragster. The SVX will never shine in such comparisons, it was designed as a high-speed cruiser, is too heavy and the gearing is wrong.

My favourite comparator for kick-ass and muscle cars is 0-100-0.

To do well, you need:
Good power to weight. For acceleration.
Good traction. Ditto.
Wide tyres. As above.
Seriously big brakes. For stopping.
Light weight. For braking.
More torque than horsepower. For launching the weight.

Like drag racing, too much weight will work against a good run here. Too much mass has to be speeded up [at huge cost] then slowed down again.

The SVX would not do well here either because of the weight. But it is still one of the best cars in the world, because that weight gives comfortable body movement and high speed stability in real world driving. The range of abilities makes the car way better than the sum of its parts, or performance figures.

Likewise, it is fair to say that this "sum of the parts being better than the whole car" equation makes the Neon a good car too, when looked at for it's design brief, and place in the market.

Long post I know, but, bottom line, only compare the SVX with cars that are its natural peers, those it was meant to market against.
{And Rob, that last point does not mean cars that can be bought for, or modded up for the same money NOW, OK?}

Joe:)

Joe,

you are absolutely correct about the U.S. and its obsession with 0-60. we just seem to have the drag racing mentality. cars that can launch you off the line are fun, but i learned that i have more fun in a car that has drive-on-rails handling and neck-snapping brakes. unfortunately, the SVX isn't fast, has inadequate brakes, and doesn't handle that great. (why do i like this car again? :confused: :D )

as far as comparisons go, i have always considered the SVX a peer to the 928. the similarities:

* 3400lb+ luxury grand tourer
* 2 door, 2+2
* flagship models, later abandoned by the factory
* financial failures
* completely different from anything the company had done before (or since!)
* semi-exotic, uniquely styled, not familiar to the majority of the public
* not much aftermarket support
* a labor of love by the engineers and designers

the differences:

* SVX has AWD
* 928 has freight train torque, unbelieveable brakes, bulletproof transmission, incredible handling
* SVX had 5 years of development, 928 had 18 years
* SVX has more reliable modern electronic systems vs. '80's technology
* 928 much more expensive when new

i've been extremely lucky enough to own these two cars that i have always loved. i wish the SVX had the power/handling/brakes the 928 has, but the AWD in winter always seems to make me forget about that. ;)

neon03
09-12-2003, 07:26 AM
So comparing a SVX to a 3000 GT VR-4 would be a good comarison right?

Landshark
09-12-2003, 08:54 AM
So comparing a SVX to a 3000 GT VR-4 would be a good comarison right?

maybe if you take away the turbo. ;) the poor SVX would have its ass handed to it by a VR-4. if the NA 3000GT had AWD, then that would be the best comparison you could make i guess.

SVX26517
09-12-2003, 01:21 PM
i feel like brinning up the mitsubishi lancer EVO, but i cant bring myself to it. :)

Benny D
09-12-2003, 02:44 PM
I would just liek to say that Jay-Z is very good, but he can never touch the illness of Nasir Jones, the one true rapper from Queensbridge, he made Jay-Z and now owns him in any of their disses. Listen to Ether by Nas and name one emcee that can touch that diss... ("Rockafella died of AIDS that was the end of his chapter, and that's the guy you chose to name your company after? Put it together, I rock hoes, ya'll rock fellas.")

Benny D

GreenMarine
09-12-2003, 03:45 PM

That is very true!!! Those of ya that saw me at Reading this year know that I was in a little 2001 Miata SE... Nomatter how much I tried to tell myself that I was cool in that thing, it still came down to me driving a chicks convertible... And I got strange looks for that on the trip up to PA and on the trip back to SC...

Subafreak
09-12-2003, 06:20 PM
Convirtables are for chicks or old balding men. (no offence to the elders here)*

And I don't care for rap, and what else were we talkin about?

*Jeeps or older Blazer types exempt.

Subafreak
09-12-2003, 06:29 PM
Oh ya, My dad actually gave me his 87 GL-10 Turbo sedan when he bought a brand new 95 Dode Neon. It wasn't a bad looking car, it was a black 2door with the "cool" hub caps. But it had a lot of thing that just made it seem like a step down from the Subaru. No power windows, cardboard seats, no tach, hub caps!, and it had a few little problems. The defrost sucked, the side widows wouldn't seal right, it just felt cheap, and the rear main was seeping at like 15,000 miles. Fortunatly he dumped it at 30,000 miles before the headgasket let go.

It did handle pretty good thoe.

Chicane
09-12-2003, 11:44 PM
No power windows, cardboard seats, no tach, hub caps!, and it had a few little problems. The defrost sucked, the side widows wouldn't seal right, it just felt cheap, and the rear main was seeping at like 15,000 miles. Fortunatly he dumped it at 30,000 miles before the headgasket let go.

Just so you know you can get an R/T or something with power windows, nice buckets, tach, alloys, etc. The side windows are frameless, so if someone grabs the window to shut the door, isntead of the actualy door, it will throw them out of alignment, and then you have to open up the door to realign it. It sucks. :| But yeah, they handle pretty durn good. :)

- Rob

NikFu S.
09-13-2003, 02:52 PM
no car ive been in handles as well as an xt6..
yup.
:cool:

SVX26517
09-13-2003, 04:57 PM
Oh ya, My dad actually gave me his 87 GL-10 Turbo sedan when he bought a brand new 95 Dode Neon. It wasn't a bad looking car, it was a black 2door with the "cool" hub caps. But it had a lot of thing that just made it seem like a step down from the Subaru. No power windows, cardboard seats, no tach, hub caps!, and it had a few little problems. The defrost sucked, the side widows wouldn't seal right, it just felt cheap, and the rear main was seeping at like 15,000 miles. Fortunatly he dumped it at 30,000 miles before the headgasket let go.

Yeah, neons are prone to headgasket/head probs. Its just the way they come from the factory because its a flaw in the engine design.

Subafreak
09-13-2003, 07:30 PM

Yeah, neons are prone to headgasket/head probs. Its just the way they come from the factory because its a flaw in the engine design.

Oh I know all about it, I,v had to give many customers the good news that there Neon/Strattus/Breeze needed a new headgasket. I didn't feel bad about it at all, in fact I would ussually smile to myself every time I found it. My dads was a 95 so it was just pure luck that he got rid of it be for the headgasket thing happend, no one really knew about it yet. I don't understand how something like that can happen, aren't these cars tested for a few years before they ever hit the market? Don't they beat the crap out of them to find any potential problems. I mean hell, the SVX motor was being tested in XT6's before the body was even ready, dosn't every company test vehicles this well before sending them out for the public to drive?

SVX26517
09-13-2003, 07:59 PM
I think MOPAR just needed to put something out or the K/P cars would have killed them

Subafreak
09-13-2003, 08:34 PM
I think MOPAR just needed to put something out or the K/P cars would have killed them

At least the head gaskets in thoes could be done in any whitetrash's driveway, the Neons suck to do.

Chicane
09-13-2003, 11:54 PM

WRONG

This is what ****ing pisses me off. IGNORANT PEOPLE WHO THINK THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.

Look, I had a 97 Neon. The headgasket went out at 27k miles. Guess what? THEY REPLACED IT WITH AN MLS WHICH MEANS MULTI LAYERED STEEL HEAD GASKET. The problem was, the original PAPER gasket was too thin in one area, and when the aluminum head and iron block expanded and contracted at diff rates due to heat, it would fail. THE MLS GASKET SOLVED ALL OF THESE PROBLEMS, AND CAME WITH MID 1998 NEONS AND UP! HENCE! NEONS HAVE NOT HAD HEADGASKET PROBLEMS SINCE 1998! Read this paragraph, reread it again, and emblazen it into your f*cking skulls.

ACK

- Rob

Chicane
09-13-2003, 11:55 PM
I mean hell, the SVX motor was being tested in XT6's before the body was even ready, dosn't every company test vehicles this well before sending them out for the public to drive?

Yeah, and SUBARU did SUUUUUCCCHHHHH a bang up job testing the SVX's transmission, didn't they? Oh. They didn't? Oh. Well at least they got the rear wheel bearings right!! Oh. Crap. Those fail quite often too eh? Hrm. Well, at least the brakes weren't undersized and they didn't warp rotors all the time. what?

Aw crap.

- Rob

Chicane
09-13-2003, 11:56 PM
At least the head gaskets in thoes could be done in any whitetrash's driveway, the Neons suck to do.

How so? I've helped do headgaskets in motel parking lots, they aren't really different from any other 4 banger except the engines actually have that thing called 'torque'.

- Rob

Trevor
09-14-2003, 12:40 AM
Head gaskets have caused most auto manufacturers strife at some time or other within a certain model range. The problem is that the failure takes time in actual customer use to show up. No great expense is usually involved and the effected car can in most cases limp home and to a facility to be fixed.

Not a big deal. My favourite car, Subaru FF1, has a head gasket problem. Keep it cool guys, no need to get personal.

neon03
09-14-2003, 07:31 AM
Thank you Chicane . I wanted to clear that up but you did a good job. I never even heard of any neon owners complain about a headgasket and I am on the Neon forums all day. Just remember no car is perfect.

Chicane
09-14-2003, 10:21 AM
Sorry, this is just a huge sore spot for me. Consumer reports listed the neon as "UNRELIABLE" for years, and years, and YEARS, and up until THIS year, it was unreliable. Now, they FINALLY changed it to average.

THE PROBLEM with CR is that they say "Hey, do you own a neon? Is it reliable or not?!" Nevermind which model year it is... if you have a 95 Neon, and you reported that your neon was 'unreliable' due to a headgasket problem, the 99 Neon gets labeled as unreliable. It's BS, and not a very accurate way to find out the truth.

Fortunately, I've been heavily involved in the neon community, know hundreds of neon owners, and been to the past THREE neon conventions.... headgaskets ARE NOT the neons weak point. If you actually want to know what it is... its the front axles. :\ Even a STOCK Dohc can snap the axles if it has pretty sticky tires and dumps the clutch from 5k. Pretty chinsy. Luckily, changing axles is REALLY easy (a lot easier than the SVX with those spring loaded pins and everything) and this past year I helped do one in about 15 minutes at the Route 66 dragstrip parking lot.

But then when people who've just 'heard' of neon headgasket problems try to tell me that its a huge problem and thats why neons are unreliable...ARGh that ticks me off. Yes. It was a problem. Faulty design. They revised the headgasket with a completely new design, and the problem was SOLVED. Now if you want to talk about unreliable, lets talk about our beloved SVX's transmission.... did Subaru ever offer to replace it? NOoooOOOOOOooo. Did they ever 'correct' the problem? Nope. At least with the headgasket problem you can get the dealership to fix it, and not have to pay much (secret warranty, basically they don't wnat to publicize the fact that chrysler will pay for it, but they actually will if you print out the right page from the internet).

Anyway, sorry I was somewhat personal, its just something I'm really sick of hearing.

- Rob

SVX26517
09-14-2003, 03:14 PM
if it makes you happy, i am a mopar nut, we have like 4 of them, if you count the mitsubishi, and i do like the 2003 models. I just dont like the 95-98/99 or whatever because they looked cheap and dont really handle that well. They do have alot of pep if you get the 2.0 DOHC motor, I dont really like the SOHC engine.

Subafreak
09-14-2003, 04:42 PM
EEEAAAAASSSSYY ROB! I know they fixed the head gasket problem so chill. And a K car head is easier to pull than a Neon head, and no need to get all SVX bashy, I know they have there problems too. What I ment was why can't car manufactures seem to simulate the real world conditions that seem to make parts of thier cars fail relitivly easy at low milage?

Chicane
09-14-2003, 05:07 PM
I just dont like the 95-98/99 or whatever because they looked cheap and dont really handle that well. They do have alot of pep if you get the 2.0 DOHC motor, I dont really like the SOHC engine.

Well, you're wrong here too. The 1st gen neon (95-99) IS one of the best handling FWD cars ever produced.... the ACR model especially, but even the regular models. Go to an autocross. See what car is turning the fastest times. Chances are, it'll either be a MIATA, or a 1st GEN NEON!

Also, about the DOHC being more peppy and powerful, again, you're somewhat wrong. The DOHC has a more honda-ish powerband, so at lower RPMs it isn't as responsive or powerful. The SOHC, is actually a better engine to have around town, due to increased low RPM torque, and if you were to put the two next to each other, and race them, the SOHC would jump ahead of the DOHC, and at about 40-60mph somewhere the DOHC might catch up and pass.

Anyway.... :rolleyes:

- Rob

Landshark
09-14-2003, 06:26 PM
Chances are, it'll either be a MIATA, or a 1st GEN NEON!

chances are, they will also be driven by hairdressers. :D

immortal_suby
09-14-2003, 07:25 PM

chances are, they will also be driven by hairdressers. :D

:D :D :D :D :D :D

the srt4 is FastAr :p

neon03
09-14-2003, 08:02 PM
Most Neon enthusiests prefer the first gen Neon to the secend because they were more performance oriented and for the dohc motor. specialy the R/T and ACR cars which are highly recomended for auto crossing. A company Forward Motion has built one of the fastest front wheel drive Chrysler vehicles ever, a first gen turbo Neon 1/4 mile 9.36 @ 150.4 mph and its an auto.
And if anyone reads Car and Driver they had a four banger tuner shootout and there was a 03 Neon 2.4 bored and stroked to 2.7 all motor with claimed hp of 348 and 257 lb-ft. It only placed 7th because of a blown clutch but was still highly praisd.

SVX26517
09-14-2003, 08:25 PM

Well, you're wrong here too. The 1st gen neon (95-99) IS one of the best handling FWD cars ever produced.... the ACR model especially, but even the regular models. Go to an autocross. See what car is turning the fastest times. Chances are, it'll either be a MIATA, or a 1st GEN NEON!

Also, about the DOHC being more peppy and powerful, again, you're somewhat wrong. The DOHC has a more honda-ish powerband, so at lower RPMs it isn't as responsive or powerful. The SOHC, is actually a better engine to have around town, due to increased low RPM torque, and if you were to put the two next to each other, and race them, the SOHC would jump ahead of the DOHC, and at about 40-60mph somewhere the DOHC might catch up and pass.

Anyway.... :rolleyes:

- Rob

Well, whatever dude. the neon i drove was a POS so bahh. You can lay off being a dousche bag now :rolleyes:

Chicane
09-14-2003, 09:44 PM
Most Neon enthusiests prefer the first gen Neon to the secend because they were more performance oriented and for the dohc motor. specialy the R/T and ACR cars which are highly recomended for auto crossing. A company Forward Motion has built one of the fastest front wheel drive Chrysler vehicles ever, a first gen turbo Neon 1/4 mile 9.36 @ 150.4 mph and its an auto.
And if anyone reads Car and Driver they had a four banger tuner shootout and there was a 03 Neon 2.4 bored and stroked to 2.7 all motor with claimed hp of 348 and 257 lb-ft. It only placed 7th because of a blown clutch but was still highly praisd.

Ugh, don't even bring that up, it was a disgrace. What'd it run? 15s?! Omg. 348hp my f*cking ass.

Gary Howell is a liar. Hahn racecraft is where its at. They ahd a full street neon that ran 11s. It looked damn near stock. >spooge<

- Rob

neon03
09-14-2003, 11:39 PM
Yea I think Howell was full of it and blamed the slow runs on the clutch. I was saving to get a Hahn racecraft turbo kit before I purchased the SVX which needs the seals replaced now I'm starting to think did I make the wrong decision:confused:

Chicane
09-15-2003, 07:59 AM
Yea I think Howell was full of it and blamed the slow runs on the clutch. I was saving to get a Hahn racecraft turbo kit before I purchased the SVX which needs the seals replaced now I'm starting to think did I make the wrong decision:confused:

IF you want to go fast and street race, yes, you made the wrong decision. If you want a car that has class, style, and a somewhat exotic flavor to it, you chose wisely. The cool thing about the SVX is that it does everything pretty well. You can drive it at 125mph pumping the techno, flip over to a classical station and drive the speed limit, pull into a parkinglot full of ricers and have them all stare trying to figure out what car you have, or pull into an expensive country club and have the valet driver be excited to drive your car, and get looks from the 911 drivers.

I think its cool. :)

- Rob

GreenMarine
09-15-2003, 10:49 AM
That's exactly right rob... That is the main reason I like my car... Because I get looks and I can just cruise on the Hiway all day... Also the sound that the Stebro makes with the 5 speed behind the engine!!!! Just like a Ferrari!!! :D:D:):cool:

neon03
09-15-2003, 07:40 PM
I know I made the right decision I love my SVX

SVX26517
09-15-2003, 08:27 PM
legacy GT with somehow a twin-turbo. get em everytime :rolleyes: ;)

mikecg
09-18-2003, 04:51 PM
Geeze 5 pages!

Starting to sound like the old shoot the dead horse deal here. All cars have problems, Its a fact of mechanics. And the stereo types dont apply to everyone. Hell I ran into and SVX owner not on the board whose SVX just turned 100k. It's never had the yranny or bearings worked on.