PDA

View Full Version : I hate mice!!! Any advice???

Szalkerous
09-08-2003, 12:23 PM
WARNING: Venting and anger ahead...

I went to fire up my camaro today that has been sitting since spring... and the damn thing has been infested with mice!! Mice in the exhaust, in the interior (damn thing smells like mouse sh#t!

Car ran like total crap, idling at 3300, wouldn't idle down at all, even after I let it warm up, tried giving it a kick of throttle, and as I do this, I notice little field mice running around in my car! After which I look back to see white smoking coming out of the exhaust :eek: , sure to be, there were mouse nests in there burning away! GRRR!! So I shut it off, knowing full well the fire risk I was running.

Does anyone know a good method to rid myself of this horrible turn of events?? I happen to like the car, it has a good personality. I cleaned it out of all items in there, leaving only a few aftermarket metal parts in the cargo area. Then I proceeded to soak the carpets with cleaner and left moth balls in there hoping to keep more rodents away...

My real concern is the exhaust. It's a 3" flowmaster system, welded together. (Bought it like that). Should I just start it and let the nests burn? Do it little by little every day until I can blow it all out in ash form??? :confused:

HELP!!!!!!!!!! :(

-Sz

rufus
09-08-2003, 01:35 PM
I find mouse nests in the airbox of my Jeep if it sits for a couple weeks. Blocks up the intake really good and obviously makes it run very poorly. You might want to check that, too.

I had a nest in the muffler of my old pickup once, and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start. It finally fired up and blew chunks of mouse nest all the garage with a significant bang. Scared the crap out of me.

Chicane
09-08-2003, 02:05 PM
A mouse chewed up my fuel injector wiring a few months ago... and it happened to chew it up right under my exhaust manifold too. That was a pain in the ass. Anyway, check to make sure all of your cylinders are firing.

- Rob

JLittell
09-08-2003, 02:19 PM
Get a dog or even a cat?;)

immortal_suby
09-08-2003, 05:26 PM
Better yet, put a snake in there.

Tim
09-08-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by immortal_suby
Better yet, put a snake in there.

If the snake eats all the mice and it gets too large it could get stuck in your exhaust and die, and then be stuck in within your labyrinth of an exhaust.:p

Just kidding btw. :)

Noir
09-08-2003, 07:20 PM
guess you could learn how to blow/play a pipe.

:D :D :D :D

Motorsport-SVX
09-08-2003, 10:19 PM
because of the desert area we have actual
pack-rats. they love to nest under your hood
and eat the insulation off your wires....

Noir
09-08-2003, 11:32 PM
yeah, i'm not a fan of rodents. i remember waking up to smoke as a kid (maybe of 6 years) and waking up my parents to get out of the house. my parents took me and my sister to the neighbors and called the fire department. our house burned down because a squirrel in the attic was chewing on the insulated power wires, electrocuted himself, and set the house on fire. we had a smoke detector, but i guess the battery was out. i guess i was the human smoke detector :D.

hmm..which reminds me i have a nest in the engine bay of my new svx. forgot to clean it out. guess the squirrels up north likes to make homes in the nice warm engine bays.

Trevor
09-09-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Szalkerous

My real concern is the exhaust. It's a 3" flowmaster system, welded together. (Bought it like that). Should I just start it and let the nests burn? Do it little by little every day until I can blow it all out in ash form??? :confused:

-Sz

No one else appears to, have noted or given attention to your real concern.

I would say run the car and burn out the exhaust. After all the exhaust is used to heat inside and out. Use some care and common sense. :)

Andy
09-09-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Noir
yeah, i'm not a fan of rodents. i remember waking up to smoke as a kid (maybe of 6 years) and waking up my parents to get out of the house. my parents took me and my sister to the neighbors and called the fire department. our house burned down because a squirrel in the attic was chewing on the insulated power wires, electrocuted himself, and set the house on fire. we had a smoke detector, but i guess the battery was out. i guess i was the human smoke detector :D.

hmm..which reminds me i have a nest in the engine bay of my new svx. forgot to clean it out. guess the squirrels up north likes to make homes in the nice warm engine bays.

<HORRIFIED >

6 is far too young to be smoking!!!!

:D :D :D

Motorsport-SVX
09-09-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Trevor

No one else appears to, have noted or given attention to your real concern.

I would say run the car and burn out the exhaust. After all the exhaust is used to heat inside and out. Use some care and common sense. :)

okay, then Id say get a cat !
then to get rid of the cat, ....get a dog,
to rid the dog, ......a mountain lion!
it would be like Wild Kingdom in your garage!

Or you could get a humane moustrap :)
Pull the car outta the garage, throw some jackstands
under it and yank out the nest, meese and all :) :)

Trevor
09-09-2003, 01:13 AM
Does a Camaro not have a CAT :confused: :D

Phil Hill
09-09-2003, 02:54 AM
"I know a mouse, he lives in my house, I don't know why I call him Gerald........" - Syd Barratt, "Bike", Pink Floyd.

Yeah, ok Syd, whatever you say.......

Szalkerous
09-09-2003, 09:21 AM
LOL I should've known I'd get 80% humor and sarcasm. I think I'll go along with running it and carefully watching the car... I'm really thinking of doing an oil change on it first, oil that has sat for a while isn't too good for a motor wanting to idle at more than half it's redline. Besides, it's a bit darker than I'd like.

The other paranoia is what could they have possibly chewed through that I'm not aware of... oh well, that's life.

Thanks everyone! Even for the humor, it made me feel a bit better about the whole thing. I was so aggravated that I was considering a mouse-stomping contest...

-Sz :rolleyes:

mohrds
09-09-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Szalkerous

I went to fire up my camaro today that has been sitting since spring... and the damn thing has been infested with mice!! Mice in the exhaust, in the interior (damn thing smells like mouse sh#t!

Car ran like total crap, idling at 3300, wouldn't idle down at all, even after I let it warm up, tried giving it a kick of throttle, and as I do this, I notice little field mice running around in my car! After which I look back to see white smoking coming out of the exhaust :eek: , sure to be, there were mouse nests in there burning away! GRRR!! So I shut it off, knowing full well the fire risk I was running.

Does anyone know a good method to rid myself of this horrible turn of events?? I happen to like the car, it has a good personality. I cleaned it out of all items in there, leaving only a few aftermarket metal parts in the cargo area. Then I proceeded to soak the carpets with cleaner and left moth balls in there hoping to keep more rodents away...

-Sz

I place an oiled wad of steel wool in each exhaust tip when I store the car. I learned that tip from an old article on how to prepare a car for storage. Just don't forget to pull it out with pliers when you take the car out.

As for mice in the interior, There is no great way to prevent it. You can use a combo of moth balls and cat urine around the car but it will stink and is not 100% effective.

I would pull as much of the nest out as you can using a coat hanger.

Doug

srmifer
09-10-2003, 12:20 PM
...with my air rifle. We've had mice problems in our garage occasionally. I park all the cars outside...and shut the garage door. The adventuring little sh*ts scurry around as long as they don't think you're there. So, I just leave the lights on...leave some little tidbit sitting in the open...and wait...and wait...and wait... :p All the while, I'm laying prone looking through my cracked open garage door. Doesn't usually take too long for the f'er to come out...and then, BAM! Watch the mouse fly across the floor...heh...and yes, I know I could find a much better use of my time...and yes, I know I'm crazy :p

srmifer
09-10-2003, 12:21 PM
hmmmmm...i screwed up and can't get this post to delete

<--------

SHISVX
09-10-2003, 12:28 PM
one of the easiest and cheapest things to do is to go to a barn and ask a farmer if you can borrow, or have one of their barncats. usually they will let them go easily. ppl drop cats off at farms all the time. they make great mousers. show the cat where the food is, by your car and let the cat do it's job.

Kelli

JLittell
09-10-2003, 12:46 PM
You know what's cool!! Those glue boards that mice stick to!! What a humane way of dealing with the little rascals!! Starve 'em!! You can tape glue boards on the inside of engine bay a watch them struggle away! ;)

srmifer
09-10-2003, 12:49 PM
glue boards...then shoot them!!!!!!! lol...sorry, i'm in a sadistic mood today :D

SHISVX
09-10-2003, 01:04 PM
how about we melt their skin off with acid?????

JLittell
09-10-2003, 01:25 PM
...and then eat them!!:eek:

SHISVX
09-10-2003, 01:52 PM
while they are still screaming in agony!

Noir
09-10-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by SHISVX
how about we melt their skin off with acid?????

wow, i just love the evil side to kelli :D:D :D :D

JLittell
09-10-2003, 01:59 PM
Back to the main purpose of this thread...I hope Szalkerous has some ideas by now from preventing his rodents from moving in on his SVX.