PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded POWER light...

crow_road75
09-03-2003, 04:10 AM
Hi everyone,

After about a thousand lovely miles in my SVX, I had a bit of a strange experience last night...

When I started the car, the POWER light on the dash blinked about a dozen times, before going out. I didn't think much of it, and the car drove normally - but I was curious, and looked in the manual, and it said "contact your Subaru dealer immediately"... Eeek...

However, when I drove the car this morning, the light didn't come on... Is this a real problem? The car drives and more importantly changes gear perfectly... Or is it a bit like the "ghost" problems that you get with Lancias, and Alfa Romeos??

Any advice greatly appreciated...

Jason
--

Andy
09-03-2003, 04:47 AM
Try this link

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11498&highlight=power+light+codes

Aredubjay
09-03-2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by crow_road75
Hi everyone,

After about a thousand lovely miles in my SVX, I had a bit of a strange experience last night...

When I started the car, the POWER light on the dash blinked about a dozen times, before going out. I didn't think much of it, and the car drove normally - but I was curious, and looked in the manual, and it said "contact your Subaru dealer immediately"... Eeek...

However, when I drove the car this morning, the light didn't come on... Is this a real problem? The car drives and more importantly changes gear perfectly... Or is it a bit like the "ghost" problems that you get with Lancias, and Alfa Romeos??

Any advice greatly appreciated...

Jason
--

Jason,
More than likely, when you check the codes, you're going to get a "DUTY SOLENOID A" code (especially if it's shifting well). This may be the dropping resistor behind the battery (it's silver and you can't miss it. It's on the fender wall directly to the back side of the battery). Try unplugging it and cleaning it with some electronics cleaner or WD-40. If the light continues to come on, you can go to your local salvage yard and snip one off a 90's Legacy and splice it in. I certainly hope that's all it is. Best of luck.

Jamsvx
09-05-2003, 08:42 PM
Randy, I've filed this tidbit of info away!

Is there any wonder why I like this place so much!!

:D