PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous and Long Term Engine Durability

ykobayashi
09-01-2003, 11:05 PM
Hey All,

I am thinking about setting up a dry nitrous system on my wife's 1999 Legacy GT Wagon. The 165 horses leave something to be desired, especially on on ramps and at the stoplight. A Passat V6 AWD wagon, blew my doors off and I really think that is a very indignant position to be for any late model Subie.

So now I am curious of giving the family grocery go getter a shot in the arm of horsepower and the cheapest way to go, that I have found, is a dry nitrous setup. However, I have concerns about long term engine durability with nitrous, anybody know anything about this or have any comments?

Thanks!

Yoshi

ensteele
09-01-2003, 11:21 PM
Do a search for nitrous. There have been several threads about this in the past. Most of the members have used the moist system. Good Luck :)

LarryIII
09-02-2003, 04:21 AM
There is an SVXer on the Yahoo site that has had a wet nitrous system in his SVX for about 4 1/2 years now. I can't remember his name but he is in California. Go to the Yahoo SVX site and do a search on nitrous. Good Luck.

elninoalex
09-02-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by LarryIII
There is an SVXer on the Yahoo site that has had a wet nitrous system in his SVX for about 4 1/2 years now. I can't remember his name but he is in California. Go to the Yahoo SVX site and do a search on nitrous. Good Luck.

His name is Henry- goes by the handle HENRY.

Phast SVX
09-02-2003, 06:45 PM
actually most of us are running dry(from my experience talking to people) Nitrous does raise engine temperature, and if your car has small problems it will make them bigger, but as of right now im using a 75 shot on my 178k mile svx. :)
phil

Trevor
09-02-2003, 10:33 PM
As a rule Subies have well built bottom end. ( Hold it; Ron may fire on that thought ! )

You are getting more power by increasing pressures and therefore loading on all the reciprocating bits. If everything in the, to be stressed Subie engine you are whipping, is first rate all should be OK. Oil pressure would be a number one. How is that for a non committing statement ?

But I will say, surely an important aspect would be to not stretch the rev. limit. Have fun.