PDA

View Full Version : Fast Dsl!

Landshark
08-29-2003, 04:30 PM
i went to http://us.mcafee.com/root/speedometer.asp to check my DSL speed after installing a program called 'Throttle' and i registered an insane 146.486 Mbps (downloaded 600kb in 0.032 sec!)

just a fluke i guess - i seem to average around 1.3 Mbps, but that's still good.

Chicane
08-29-2003, 05:50 PM
I always found that it wasn't the connection on my end necessarily, sometimes it was the server I was going to, and sometimes it was the number of jumps the information would have to go through.

>shrug< Cool for you though! I get DSL at home in about 2 weeks!

- Rob

Landshark
08-29-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Chicane
I always found that it wasn't the connection on my end necessarily, sometimes it was the server I was going to, and sometimes it was the number of jumps the information would have to go through.

>shrug< Cool for you though! I get DSL at home in about 2 weeks!

- Rob

yep, Kazaa can be frustrating that way. :mad: i was at my Aunt's the other day and she had dial-up. AAARRRRRGH!!!

SHISVX
08-30-2003, 05:25 AM
get off Kazaa...it sucks...go to IMESH.com, they rock!

Kelli

Chicane
08-30-2003, 09:03 AM
I use Poison for OSX, and for OS9, I don't know what I use since I haven't had a net connection (at home) in like 2 years. I can't wait! :D

Anyway, get off Kazaa, thats where the RIAA is catching people and slapping them with 20,000 dollar lawsuits.

- Rob

SHISVX
08-30-2003, 09:34 AM
don't go to Morpheus either....

petesvx2
08-30-2003, 09:36 AM
I use WinMX, you can get it at winmx.com

CigarJohnny
08-30-2003, 09:48 AM
I had heard that almost all the current PTP file sharing frontends use the old Gnutella network. Wouldn't that make them all potentially dangerous to use like Kazaa is?

Zeppelin
08-30-2003, 10:24 AM
I use WinMX too.. Kinda hard to get the hang of at first, but it's great after you learn it!

Subafreak
08-31-2003, 11:05 AM
Whats all this talk about Kazza? My wife downloads music from there all the time. Should I tell her to stop? So if downloading music is illegal why are there so many sites to do it from?

immortal_suby
08-31-2003, 11:25 AM
Yes, get off kazaa.
If speeding is illegal, why are there so many smooth, wide roads to open it up? ;)

Andy
08-31-2003, 12:08 PM
If you use the latest version of kazaa lite, it has a RIAA block built in and advice on how to avoid prosecution.

www.k-lite.tk

Subafreak
08-31-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by immortal_suby
Yes, get off kazaa.
If speeding is illegal, why are there so many smooth, wide roads to open it up? ;)

It's not the speeding thats criminal, it's the speed limits.

Kazaa is gone.

Landshark
08-31-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Subafreak
Whats all this talk about Kazza? My wife downloads music from there all the time. Should I tell her to stop? So if downloading music is illegal why are there so many sites to do it from?

i dunno, i'm kinda new to the whole file-sharing thing. i'll check out some of the other PTP stuff mentioned in this thread, but i find it hard to believe that the recording industry Nazis are going to sue every single one of the 4,000,000+ people on Kazaa at any given moment. :rolleyes:

TCamusJr
09-01-2003, 05:27 PM
They go after the folks sharing tons of files. Basically, download from kazaa, etc. but dont share any and you'll be fine.

Go to options and click the box 'unshare files' or something like that.

Landshark
09-01-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by TCamusJr
They go after the folks sharing tons of files. Basically, download from kazaa, etc. but dont share any and you'll be fine.

i just keep my Shared File folder clean. ;)

TCamusJr
09-01-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Landshark

i just keep my Shared File folder clean. ;)

Yeah! Now you're cooking with gas!

Subafreak
09-03-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by TCamusJr

Oh, thats good, I think she already has it set up that way.

northernkanuck
09-03-2003, 11:28 PM
Hey maybe some of you can give me some advice. I am currently on dial-up (no highspeed in my neighbourhood yet) and my 11 yr old daughter wants to start downloading music and burning her own CD's. I have no idea where to start with this, what is best etc :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . Any advice would be appreciated.

Keith

Landshark
09-04-2003, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by northernkanuck
Hey maybe some of you can give me some advice. I am currently on dial-up (no highspeed in my neighbourhood yet) and my 11 yr old daughter wants to start downloading music and burning her own CD's. I have no idea where to start with this, what is best etc :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . Any advice would be appreciated.

Keith

she will learn valuable lessons in patience and anger-managment downloading on dial-up.

immortal_suby
09-04-2003, 09:07 AM
And you will learn valuable lessons on the lack of a phone. I hope you have a cell. Have her start the download at night and schedule multiple downloads to go overnight.

northernkanuck
09-04-2003, 01:14 PM
Well, looks like a fun time will be had by all ;)

Any insight into which service/site to use etc. I am not to concerned about lack of having a phone etc I am just not up to date on which sites are the best. When doing a search there are so many options and most if not all require some form of payment. I don't want to have to pay for all of them at one time or another and learn by trial and error which ones are best. Just looking for some helpful advice/heads up on what to avoid or try.

Thanks,

Keith

immortal_suby
09-09-2003, 06:08 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,96797,00.html

Now they're suing a 12yr old girl for d/l music with kazaa.

Earthworm
09-24-2003, 07:51 PM
And in other news, Kazaa is suing thr RIAA for copyright infringement.

Story here. (http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGANUTFGZKD.html)

drivemusicnow
02-18-2004, 04:18 PM
nothing like awakening dead threads.... Anyone know a good program to download for the mac??? can't find any decent ones that have enough people to support my listening tastes;) thanks for any help... Rob???

Chicane
02-18-2004, 04:42 PM
eh.. not quite sure what you're asking. If you're asking about a p2p music downloading program, kinda like napster, then it depends on what OS you're running. If you're running OSX, use POISON. Just google search for it. If you're using OS9... I'm not sure. Personally, I don't use either, I can't stand most downloaded music anymore... crap quality, incomplete or the wrong song. :mad:

- Rob

petesvx2
02-18-2004, 04:48 PM
I have changed my d/l program. It's actually a "chat" program :) mIRC, easier to d/l whole albums rather than cds though.

Seraph
02-18-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by petesvx2
I have changed my d/l program. It's actually a "chat" program :) mIRC, easier to d/l whole albums rather than cds though.

Welcome to the world of internet relay chat.

DavieGravy
02-19-2004, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by northernkanuck

Keith
http://kdp.57host.biz/kclients.htm

Download K-Lite v2.6 RC 14b

Seraph
02-19-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by drivemusicnow
nothing like awakening dead threads.... Anyone know a good program to download for the mac??? can't find any decent ones that have enough people to support my listening tastes;) thanks for any help... Rob???

I've used napster, limewire, irc for such stuff.

drivemusicnow
02-19-2004, 02:30 PM
I'm downloaded limewire, and am presently using that...Thanks for the info... BTW, I only download MP3s at 192 kbps or higher, but i'm wondering about songs that have really low tones. Is it safe to play them on high powered systems? just not really sure what the lower bit rate would do with potentially dangerous notes.