PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil Air Filter Sale

richeich
03-18-2001, 06:37 PM
I'd like to announce a sale on the Amsoil TS74 air filter. This is a drop in replacement two stage foam oil filter. It comes pre-oiled.

It fits the following:
All SVX's
1990-1999 Legacy, all engines.
1993-1999 Impreza, all engines.
All Subaru's from 1995-1999.

Supposedly also will fit the new WRX. I don't know that for sure though.

Will have the filter delivered to your door (continental US) for $31. If you want foam filter oil to go with it, cost will be $34.

Full retail for both items would be $40.35 with shipping. Amsoil also charges state taxes on the items. I know it doesn't sound like a big savings, but I'm cutting it pretty close to my total cost.

Paypal at richeich@msn.com . Any questions, e-mail or PM. If you want to order, I'll need you name and address for delivery. No PO boxes please (they won't deliver). Sale runs through the end of March.

Thanks!-
Rich
www.lubedealer.com/tulsa

Rev Hard
03-18-2001, 06:45 PM
Can i see a pic of the actual filter? and do i have to use the oil... i Kinda have a problem with oil and MAFs....

like i said i know its lame........

PAUL!

svxxx26
03-18-2001, 09:22 PM
Hey Paul,

I use a K&N drop-in filter in both the Legacy and SVX. The K&N filter is also pre-oiled, and yes, you do have to use the oil - without it, the filtration abilities of the filter "go away". So far, no MAF problems that I'm aware of.

richeich
03-18-2001, 10:12 PM
Yeah, Jerry's right. The filters need the oil there to capture the dirt. Otherwise it just works it's way through the pores. For some reason, people have had problems with the sensitivity of the MY99 Subaru MAFs, but I'm not aware of problems with any other year.

Here's links to a couple of pics. I just went out to the garage and took them, so they're not the best quality, but you get the idea. The one with the wire mesh facing up is the way it would sit in your airbox. The mesh faces toward the engine. The other one is showing the bottom of the filter. It's hard to tell, but it has 'two stages' of foam. A large pore foam, which the air passes through first, stacked on a small pore foam, which will take care of any small particles that make it through the bigger foam.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1472522&a=11419616&p=44142590&Sequence=0

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1472522&a=11419616&p=44142598&Sequence=0

Rich

Rev Hard
03-18-2001, 11:38 PM
Look for some money in ye' ole paypal account sometime this week from me. Thanks for the info, and the prompt reply......

how long does shipping take?

PAUL!

svxboy
03-19-2001, 01:48 AM
I would recommend the BLITZ conical filter to anyone that has the adaper on their SVX already. It uses a fine stainless steel mesh to filter out particles, unlike the cotton and oil combo in the K&N's. No oil to ruin sensors and to clean, you just spray it down. Summit Racing actually sells it for around 90 bucks. More expensive than a K&n, but it will last longer and provide a higher level of performance. -Greg

Rev Hard
03-19-2001, 02:54 AM
Im out of the cone filter market...
I've been translating alot of Japanese pages lately and NO ONE seems to have a good thing to say about them..

Let alone the fact Prova ADVISES AGAINST IT!

Hey i dont buy chevy tuning mags from japan why should i tune my japanese car with US methods?

Stay with the box. it has a air horn in it and is way large enough to flow the air you want it too..... Plus you have the beauty of not sucking in engine bay air

BTW.. I have a BLITZ license plate frame on the front of the car.. it looked naked and needed something :)

PAUL!

richeich
03-19-2001, 05:05 AM
Shipping shouldn't be any more than about 3 days.

Rich

Jaylinb
03-19-2001, 06:47 AM
I've been looking into K&N, but this sounds much cheaper and looks to be about the same quality. Question: How does the foam hold up over time? And is it relatively easy to find replacement oil once the stuff it comes with wears out? (I know that would be a long way off, but I'm thinking long-term)

htyei
03-19-2001, 12:27 PM
I just love(sarcasm) how both Amsoil and K&N
have charts and figures saying their better than each other on their website.

nubs
03-19-2001, 04:16 PM
I have the amsoil filter and have not had any problems with the MAF sensor. When you re-oil it just make sure that you don't let to much on and it should be fine. I have not had to oil mine yet, but when I do I will probably use the same foam filter oil I use on my motorcycle. You can choose from several brands at most cycle shops.

richeich
03-19-2001, 05:27 PM
Hello Jaylin- the foam seems to hold up well. I know guys that have used them for 5 or 6 years with no problems. You should only have to clean them every 25,000 miles. I don’t even drive that in a year, so I just clean it about once a year. At that rate, the bottle of oil should last about 3 or 4 years. It’s super tacky. You can, however, use any foam filter oil that you choose.

Henry, if you look at the K&N site, they show a comparison using an Amsoil LT style air filter. I’ve just been doing this a little over a year now, and those have been discontinued since before I became a dealer. Therefore, I don’t know how current that test data is. Also, they show that the K&N provides more airflow than the Amsoil filter. I don’t see anything about filtration quality, or tests to back it up.
http://www.knfilters.com/facts.htm

The Amsoil site shows a general chart comparing paper, K&N, and the Amsoil Two-Stage air filters. I admit that they don’t give hard numbers, so that may not be technical enough for some people. I personally believe that the K&N probably does provide more air flow, and if Amsoil showed the whole graph, the K&N flow rate would continue higher than the Amsoil does. I don’t really know what Amsoil, Inc. officially has to say about that, that’s just my opinion. http://www.amsoil.com/products/ts.html

Amsoil is trying to show that their filter flows better than a stock paper filter, and protects better than a K&N filter. It’s good for improved performance without compromising the integrity of your filtration needs. (There does seem to be a rather large disparity between the graphs though, doesn't there?) :D

Hope this helps,
Rich

Aredubjay
03-20-2001, 10:00 PM
Dang it, Rich. I just purchased a K&N Drop-in last month. Maybe in a hundred thousand miles (it's supposed to be guaranteed for that long :)), I'll replace it with an AMZOIL Filter. (I'm always a day late and a dollar short.)

Meanwhile, back in the early 80's, I went to a "Home Meeting" with a friend of mine (yes, I have one -- well had one, he moved away). They were trying to sign up distributors for their new product -- a brand new, specially formulated synthetic oil. It was my chance to get in on the "ground floor" of an amazing money making opportunity. I thought, "boloney" nobody's gonna buy that stuff, it's too expensive. Yep -- the product was Amzoil, and I could probably be settin' pretty right now, if I'd gotten in back then. Oh, the what if's.

richeich
03-22-2001, 04:56 AM
Hey Randy, that's kinda funny! Was back when they still used the 'z' in Amsoil? It used to be Amzoil back then, since the president/founder of the company is Al Amatuzio, hence the AMZoil. Somewhere along the line Pennzoil sued them, with the argument that Amzoil was too similar to Pennzoil, and could possibly confuse consumers! Believe it or not they won, so Al changed the brand name over to Amsoil. I think they won the case based on some kind of copyright protection argument. Pretty lame, huh?:D

Rich

Rev Hard
03-22-2001, 01:19 PM
Corporate baloney...

lemme think PENN ... AM.... sure they sound the same...... :)

PAUL!

Aredubjay
03-22-2001, 01:29 PM
There seems to be no stopping this "nit-picky" suit crazy society! I would think that Amway would've had more grounds for suit: Multi-level marketing product, "Am" as the first part of the name, Hmmm Oil from Amway -- what a great idea. (In fact, at that meeting, I thought it was a spinoff 'til the presenter said, "Just to let you know up front, we are not affiliated with Amway.)

richeich
03-28-2001, 08:44 AM
Bumping it up for one last go 'round before the end of the month!

Any Takers?-
Rich