PDA

View Full Version : 2 SRT4s

SubaSteevo
08-23-2003, 09:39 PM
Found 2 srt4s zigzagging through traffice today on my way to work. I stayed behind them for a while until I was sure they noticed I was there, then I sped past them and took my exit. They seem to be pretty quick, but they're butt ugly, and they're still neons.

Landshark
08-24-2003, 06:28 AM
cheap price + Dodge + turbo = unreliable junk

maybe Mercedes will get their engineering put into the Neon in the coming years and it will improve, but i doubt it. :p

GreenMarine
08-24-2003, 09:55 AM
Yea, there is one here in Beaufort, SC... Guy thinks he is the **** or something... He won't tell anyone what he runs in the Quarter... I just walk up to him and tell him that his car is a peice of ****... He knows me really well... I am the founder of the club that gives him the most hell in Beaufort... There are three of us in my club, 2 MY02 WRX's heavely modded, and my 2003 WRX driven SVX... We are the **** and the only Subaru Club in the area...:):) SRT-4's don't stand a chance with either of the WRX's, especially Aaron's 380hp RedWagon!!!!

SHISVX
08-24-2003, 11:38 AM
ha ha ha...neons suck....

Kelli

Shot king
08-24-2003, 01:42 PM
They seem to be pretty quick, but they're butt ugly, and they're still neons.

I still have'nt seen one up close but i've seen the pics and i agree does'nt matter whats powerin it its still a neon.

solarsvx
08-25-2003, 07:53 AM
the question is how much boost can they hold,, and reliability issues.

and still FWD usless,

but again u are paying 19,000 u get what u pay for, they are good bang for the buck cars,

Phast SVX
08-25-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
Yea, there is one here in Beaufort, SC... Guy thinks he is the **** or something... He wom't tell anyone what he runs in the Quarter... I just walk up to him and tell him that his car is a peice of ****... He knows me really well... I am the founder of the club that gives him the most hell in Beaufort... There are three of us in my club, 2 MY02 WRX's heavely modded, and my 2003 WRX driven SVX... We are the **** and the only Subaru Club in the area...:):) SRT-4's don't stand a chance with either of the WRX's, especially Aaron's 380hp RedWagon!!!!
what turbo is he running, ive heard of very few cars running 380awhp. My friend with his sp1820 ball bearing beast only runs 326 and he has EVERYTHING(all supporting fuel and utec management)
phil

NikFu S.
08-26-2003, 06:32 PM
The next line of srt's are going to have a larger turbo and awd. this is what the guy at dodge said. then one of his buddies came out and looked at my X. he used to sell them he said. i wonder why he works there.....

GreenMarine
08-27-2003, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Phast SVX

what turbo is he running, ive heard of very few cars running 380awhp. My friend with his sp1820 ball bearing beast only runs 326 and he has EVERYTHING(all supporting fuel and utec management)
phil

He has a T4 (of somesort) and a full custom exhaust... Borla Headers, 3.5" up pipe, 4"down pipe, 3.5" all the way back, also a Massive Front mount intercooler, STi injectors from japan (565cc), Turbo XS piggy back fuel computer, Boost controller running 18psi... and my favorite, one hell of a loud BOV!!!! Attracts attention like you wouldn't believe!!!! When I said 380HP, I ment it at the flywheel... it is an estimate... But I have driven an STi and his wagon... His wagon pulls so hard above 5,000 rpms that you just get molded to the seat... The STi has nothing to compare to the raw power of the "Red Grocery Getter" :):D:COOL:

Chicane
08-27-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Landshark
cheap price + Dodge + turbo = unreliable junk

maybe Mercedes will get their engineering put into the Neon in the coming years and it will improve, but i doubt it. :p

Uh..... Dodge has been doing the turbo thing for a while. Remember the Spirit R/T? The turbo Shadows? Lebaron GTC? Shelby Omni? Shelby Daytona? TSI Conquest? Basically, almost any 'dodge' car with a turbo is basically a mitsubishi engine, so unless your ready to say 'mitsubishi sucks at turbo cars' then I'd take that back. :P

And... any SRT4 would destroy ANY current SVX in the 1/4, roadcourse, etc, so give them some respect.

- Rob

Chicane
08-27-2003, 06:40 PM
SRT-4's don't stand a chance with either of the WRX's, especially Aaron's 380hp RedWagon!!!!

I'm not disputing the fact that the SRT4 owners in your area might be complete tools, but how much did that 380hp redwagon cost? The SRT4 costs 20grand, and has a factory warranty. That's pretty cool.... especially since its so much faster than any of our SVXs.

- Rob

Chicane
08-27-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by SHISVX
ha ha ha...neons suck....

Kelli

Why? The SRT4 will completely assrape an SVX, in EVERY performance catergory. A first generation neon with a 5spd will hold its own in the quarter mile, sports an identical power/weight ratio, has a larger aftermarket, a ton of performance parts, HANDLES A LOT BETTER (stock 1st gen ACR with hoosiers will pull almost 1G on the skidpad), cheap to own, has a reliable transmission, and gets better gas mileage.

I think I made my point.

- Rob

Chicane
08-27-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Shot king
I still have'nt seen one up close but i've seen the pics and i agree does'nt matter whats powerin it its still a neon.

And it doesn't matter what it is, it's still a LOT faster than your car, and handles a lot better. I'd still rather have my SVX, but I hate those 'it's just a neon' comments. I even know neon owners who have license plate frames that say "Race me... after all, it's just a neon". They run 13s on street tires. 12s on slicks.

- Rob

Landshark
08-27-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Chicane

Uh..... Dodge has been doing the turbo thing for a while. Remember the Spirit R/T? The turbo Shadows? Lebaron GTC? Shelby Omni? Shelby Daytona? TSI Conquest? Basically, almost any 'dodge' car with a turbo is basically a mitsubishi engine, so unless your ready to say 'mitsubishi sucks at turbo cars' then I'd take that back. :P

And... any SRT4 would destroy ANY current SVX in the 1/4, roadcourse, etc, so give them some respect.

- Rob

yeah, my buddy used to have a turbo Laser (biggest POS evAr!!!), guy at school had a Daytona (ditto).

let's see how many SRT4's make it past 150,000 miles. :D an SRT4 would destroy the SVX, but too bad the SVX wasn't designed to be a drag racer. the SVX will destroy it in the snow. :P let's not compare apples to oranges.

NikFu S.
08-27-2003, 07:34 PM
nobody in the official racing communities up here respect the neon or its drivers. its for kids who work and eat at mcdonalds.
sure you can slap better equipment on it but the engine is limited and the body style is flawed.
your talking about a car that is nearly maxed out in potential. what is the SVX? most of ours are stock with minimal mods.
you cant really compare the two. swap in a manual gearbox and a decent turbo and the svx competes.

BTW....
with the 20 degree cooler weather and the weight loss from my window, i think i can hit 14s easy. i can feel it.

Nik - Stuck out in the boonies again

Shot king
08-27-2003, 07:49 PM
I should have seen this one coming, i forgot you were a neon fan. Sorry if i offended you but this is my opinion that i'm entitled to i don't care if these cars can run a 7 second 1/4 mile its STILL A NEON. My car preference is not only based on performance if it was i'd have to get rid of all my vehicles and replace them with somthing with some guts. It also takes into account styling and reliability . I don't like the styling of the neon and i know of plenty of Neon owners who can't seem to get there cars outta the shop.

Chicane
08-27-2003, 07:52 PM
I'm going to call your BS here. Give me 'examples' of these neon owners and the repairs they've 'had' to have done. I'm more than just a 'neon fan', I'm someone with a LOT of knowledge about them. They are very reliable once you get that MLS (multi layered steel) headgasket installed in them. In fact, if we go SVX vs Neon in reliablity, the neon blows the SVX outta the water.

So basically, they're more reliable than an SVX, they're a lot faster, they handle a lot better, but you don't like the way they look. Fine. Just say that then.

- Rob

Chicane
08-27-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by NikFu S.
but the engine is limited and the body style is flawed.
your talking about a car that is nearly maxed out in potential. what is the SVX? most of ours are stock with minimal mods.
you cant really compare the two. swap in a manual gearbox and a decent turbo and the svx competes.

BTW....
with the 20 degree cooler weather and the weight loss from my window, i think i can hit 14s easy. i can feel it.

The engine is limited?! How the hell is it limited?! Let's see... we have street neons with full interiors running 11s, and full race neons running 6s and 7 second quarter mile times. So how is it limited? In fact, if you want to talk about 'limited', lets talk about the H6. It's a great engine...but what the hell can you even buy for it? NOTHING! And a flawed body design?! How is it flawed? You might not like the way it looks, but thats just an opinion, not a 'flaw'. Some people don't like the way our SVXs look.... >shrug< Who cares what they think. :)

But again, you said swap in a manual gearbox, a decent turbo, and the SVX competes? Name one SVX in the 13s. Go ahead. And name a turbo system. Go ahead. You can't do either.

- Rob

PS: You will not hit 14s without nitrous.

Shot king
08-27-2003, 08:00 PM
ok, I don't like the way they look

NikFu S.
08-27-2003, 08:18 PM

...and full race neons running 6s and 7 second quarter mile times. So how is it limited? In fact, if you want to talk about 'limited', lets talk about the H6. It's a great engine...but what the hell can you even buy for it? NOTHING!...

...you said swap in a manual gearbox, a decent turbo, and the SVX competes? Name one SVX in the 13s. Go ahead. And name a turbo system. Go ahead. **You can't do either**.

- Rob

PS: You will not hit 14s without nitrous.

EXACTLY.
if this car had the support that common Nokia-mobiles have trust me hitting 10s would be a possibility. with the right weight reduction gearing power and traction conditions ANY car can be fast as hell.
give me a 5spd turbo with nos. ill hit 13s

and as far as the neon being limited, its a puny 4-banger. im not a friggin drag racer. i just like to race 1/4. the neon cant hold its own in a TS highway or highspeed track and touring and it will flip on a rally-x. i [had] an xt6 for dragging. now there is some potential for multiple category racing.

oh yeah, and i used to like how they look. i used to want one til i got laughed at for it.

SubaSteevo
08-27-2003, 08:28 PM
Didn't mean to start another war, just thought I'd make conversation since the car has come up in a couple threads and I found 2.

I have also had a chance to see 2 Stis, 3 RX-8s, 350Z (plenty of those), G35 Coupe (ditto), and a new Crossfire. From pics I thought the Crossfire was ugly but its actually pretty damn cool (besides fake plastic fender vents). The only new car I still want to see is the Lancer Evo and a Chevy SSR.

Landshark
08-27-2003, 08:46 PM
Ford Festiva>Geo Metro>Neon :D

Chicane
08-27-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by NikFu S.
oh yeah, and i used to like how they look. i used to want one til i got laughed at for it.

So basically, you let other people make up your mind for you. At least you can admit that. 99% of all 'anti neon' people cannot admit that, but you did, and I commend you for that. Of course, I'd commend you more for thinking for yourself, but hey, baby steps.

- Rob

SHISVX
08-27-2003, 10:26 PM

Why? The SRT4 will completely assrape an SVX, in EVERY performance catergory. A first generation neon with a 5spd will hold its own in the quarter mile, sports an identical power/weight ratio, has a larger aftermarket, a ton of performance parts, HANDLES A LOT BETTER (stock 1st gen ACR with hoosiers will pull almost 1G on the skidpad), cheap to own, has a reliable transmission, and gets better gas mileage.

I think I made my point.

- Rob

"assrape"...now how much do you know about that subject?
and i think a SVX can outdo a Neon in the snow :p and class...did the neon ever come out with leather seats? or was it just the peeling paint edition?

oh wait....i'm sorry, but i didn't see anything about me comparing the SVX to a PEON..........:rolleyes:

but that is okay...if it makes you feel better to talk about something nobody cares about...go ahead:p

Kelli

i think you didn't make a point, nor ever will about neons...sorry

Noir
08-28-2003, 12:25 AM
<Harry starts cheering Kelli on!!!!!>

Good job Kelli, keep up the good work knocking on Rob's statements. Always funny to see what Kelli has to say.

I can't help it, but it's funny seeing Rob fight for Dodge's 'Neon'. Rob you are truly the last man standing against an army.

oh well......

<Harry drives by and drops a gum wrapper on Rob's lawn.>

Chicane
08-28-2003, 02:06 AM
"assrape"...now how much do you know about that subject?

That was really lame. I think a 7th grader would come up with an insult like that, but of course a 7th grader would also feel that it's okay to throw his trash out the school bus window, just like you flick garbage out of your car and help ruin the environment. Because of that, I really don't respect you much, especially since you never even admitted you were wrong about that.

and i think a SVX can outdo a Neon in the snow :p and class

Snow? Yep. Class? Yep. High Transmission Failure Rate? Yep. No aftermarket? Yep. Not one SVX has ever been in the 13s? Yep.

..did the neon ever come out with leather seats?

Actually, YES! It was a rare option in 1995, but you could get a leather interior for your neon! After 1995, the option dissapearred, but it remained over seas so a lot of european and canadian neons have leather.

or was it just the peeling paint edition?

Hrm... I don't know... did that come after the 'most easily chippable paint in the world" SVX edition, or was it before the "Flakey Black Subaru Paint" edition SVX?

oh wait....i'm sorry, but i didn't see anything about me comparing the SVX to a PEON..........:rolleyes:

Oh wait, I can't think of any good excuses so I guess I'll just contort the name 'neon' into 'peon' and hope that someone, somewhere, finds that witty.

- Rob

PS: This just in! A 12 yr old mentally retarded kid with down syndrome did in fact find Kelli's comment witty! Congrats! :rolleyes:

Chicane
08-28-2003, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by Noir
keep up the good work knocking on Rob's statements.

Knocking on them? How so? She changed a letter to say "Peon", and brought up 'bad paint' when Subaru also has paint problems (at least on the SVX). Other than that..she.... made.... no point whatsoever. Hrm. Weird. I could have sworn she posted something worthwhile. Hrm. Guess not.

Always funny to see what Kelli has to say.

Indeed. :rolleyes:

I can't help it, but it's funny seeing Rob fight for Dodge's 'Neon'. Rob you are truly the last man standing against an army.

Yep. Why? Because I think for myself. I don't listen to 'popular opinion', and I don't dislike or like something based on what others have to say. I like the SVX, and I have my reasons. I also like neons, but for different reasons. The sad thing it seems that almost none of you are intelligent enough to comprehend that.

<Harry drives by and drops a gum wrapper on Rob's lawn.>

And it's THAT type of mentality that makes me glad I'm not real acquainted with some of you. Littering is just not cool, I don't care where you are from. I got married outside in a park, and you wouldn't believe the amount of trash I had to pick up that was laying within 40 ft of a trash can. I guess some people are just lazy f*cks.

- Rob

SHISVX
08-28-2003, 09:16 AM
what i find is always funny is how angry Robbie gets when someone picks on his fellow Neon...they are quite the same in many ways

both stupid looking
both annoying to see (or see post)
both irritating to hear about
both have about the same respect...>zero<
both have a crappy interior

i could go on, but i don't feel like Rob is worth the energy...

and class...you know what class is rob??....something you lack

Kelli

solarsvx
08-28-2003, 09:29 AM
LOL back to wasting more bandwith space on a neon .

rob never sease to amaze me.

Chicane
08-28-2003, 09:37 AM
...you know what class is rob??....something you lack

Kelli

Who was the person who just took jabs based on my physical appearance? Yeah, that was cool in what, elementary school? And prior to that you inferred that I would know about ass raping. Yes yes, very classy.... for a 4th grader.

:rolleyes:

- Rob

Chicane
08-28-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by solarsvx
LOL back to wasting more bandwith space on a neon .

rob never sease to amaze me.

Think of it this way Solar....

Let's say a lot of the SVX peeps here keep saying DSMs are slow pieces of ****. How would you respond? You and I both know that Lasers/Eclipses/Talons are a great platform to modify, and when modified, have INSANE performance potentials. So you say that. But then some littering person says "oh its just a SHME-clipse" for her response. Wouldn't you get annoyed at that?

- Rob

SHISVX
08-28-2003, 10:42 AM
pitty party for Rob...on three...one two three

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

GreenMarine
08-28-2003, 11:21 AM
Now hold up guys... Rob does have a point... and usually I would be all about just getting into an arguement over this with him... But I am trying to grow out of that phase that I went through back when I was a newer member to the forums... Rob, I understand what you are trying to say about the neons and their performance potential... But you have to think about this.. The reason why they have that performance potential is because there are lots of them out there... There are enough people that have them for the performance manufacturers to start building parts for them... Too bad that it isn't that way for the SVX right??? Other wise we might have some SVX's running circles around 300ZX's and Supras... We are just outta the performance picture since we own SVX's... I di agree with ya on the face that the Neon is a pretty reliable car... I drove one with 178,000 miles on it and it still went like a shower of ****... So that's alright about it... But Just in my oppinion, I didn't like the way that it drove... Not quite like a WRX... I mean as far as handeling goes... Then again it is about 10,000 cheaper... So over all if you are looking for a little car to get you around in, it wouldn't be bad... Conclusion--- The Neon really isn't a bad car, but there are alot of people out there that just don't like them... Alot of those people just happen to be members on this board, including me... But if it makes ya feel better, I pick on my friend who has a Ford Focus that is Superdharged and will run with a WRX in the quarter mile... I still give him **** because I don't like it... I call the car a Ford Fucus... Because if you get in a wreck in one you are F**ked... Ya know what I mean... So just do yourself a favor and back down from this one Rob, you'll never win the conflict here... On the SVX boards the Neon will always be considered a POS... That's just how it, only a matter of oppinion... Just don't sweat it man...

Chicane
08-28-2003, 11:40 AM
And that type of post is perfectly cool with me. But when people call them 'unreliable' and 'slow', etc, they're just plain wrong. People just can't seem to admit that a neon may in fact be a better performance platform than the SVX. I love my SVX, and I SOLD my neon for it. But thats because I wanted something 'different', I wanted a grand tourer, something with a great interior, lots of options, and an exclusitivity. The SVX is all of these things. And I agree with you on the aftermarket/numerous car thingie. Frankly, I'm kinda GLAD there isn't a huge aftermarket for our cars, that way we never see bodykit'd ugly ricey SVXs with supra wings and 19" bling wheels with 5000watt stereos and clear taillights.

- Rob

Chicane
08-28-2003, 11:41 AM
pitty party for Rob...on three...one two three

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Yes, definitely very classy. :rolleyes:

SHISVX
08-28-2003, 11:46 AM

Yes, definitely very classy. :rolleyes:

:p :p :p

Noir
08-28-2003, 02:17 PM
hey rob, you got me all wrong.

'Knocking on them?' ---> in regards to the Kelli's 'assrape' response & the 'peon'

(I think it's funny, but then again I find quite a few little things funny.)

You are the last man standing. Not that this is bad or anything, it's just a fact for the Neon posts. I mean I welcome anyone to join Rob's defense to the Neon posts. Poor Rob won't be the last one standing anymore if someone else would join him. I think he's getting lonely :D.

Have you seen me saying anything about Neons? Nope, you know why? Cause I don't care about them. But, I do find it amusing how easily it is to get a rise out of you and then you start pounding away on your keyboard trying to prove something that's not really that important in my opinion (oh wait, it's my opinion doh.... forgot you don't care about my opinions) :D.

Now as for the littering, if I didn't litter (which I'll do more of in your neighborhood), you wouldn't have a job now would you? I'm giving you meaning to your life. Think of all the little ants that you saved by picking up that paper napkin from micky-d's. Doesn't it make you feel better that you have made a difference in this world by putting that napkin into the garbage can? You are helping your fellow sanitation co-workers keep their job by having baskets of gar'bage for them to bury. YOU ARE THE MAN ROB!!!!! :D

Keep up the good work.....we need good people like yourself :D.

ROB FOR PRESIDENT, you got my vote!!!!!!!

:p
umm...no offense rob, here's something for you to do :D

<Harry shamelessly goes over to Rob's house and dumps all the garbage that Rob's been collecting at the park onto the green grass near the white picket fence.> :eek:

SubaSteevo
08-28-2003, 03:52 PM
Littering is definately very not cool but neither is fighting over stupid and trivial things (like in Iraq for example ;) )
I just stated that I saw 2 cars and I thought it was interesting, THE END.

P.S. Rob, I have seen an SVX with a Supra Wing in pics, the front lip spoilers or different bumpers could be concidered a body kit, someone just asked about 19s, and I'm sure the German (Russian?) guy that put 3 speakers in each door and the 12" (?) subs in the back has close to 5000 watts. The only thing missing are altezzas, which someone has photoshopped on. Luckily for us I have never seen an SVX with all of the above, or even two of the above.

P.P.S. I thought comparing Rob to a neon was witty :p

Landshark
08-28-2003, 07:31 PM
And that type of post is perfectly cool with me. But when people call them 'unreliable' and 'slow', etc, they're just plain wrong. People just can't seem to admit that a neon may in fact be a better performance platform than the SVX. I love my SVX, and I SOLD my neon for it. But thats because I wanted something 'different', I wanted a grand tourer, something with a great interior, lots of options, and an exclusitivity. The SVX is all of these things. And I agree with you on the aftermarket/numerous car thingie. Frankly, I'm kinda GLAD there isn't a huge aftermarket for our cars, that way we never see bodykit'd ugly ricey SVXs with supra wings and 19" bling wheels with 5000watt stereos and clear taillights.

- Rob

Neons aren't so slow. agreed.
Neons are a good performance platform. agreed.
Neons are most likely faster in a straight line in good weather than an SVX. agreed.
Dodge's are reliable, well-built cars. this is hard to say without almost laughing!
People on Subaru SVX message forums are extremely fascinated by Dodge Neons and enjoy being educated about them at every opportunity. i'll let you think about this one. ;)

Chicane
08-28-2003, 07:58 PM
I never said well built, I said reliable. The thing was a freaking rattle trap. Imagine driving a snap on van filled with tools down a gravel road. That's what its like driving a neon. The interior blows. Hence the reason why my next neon will have NO interior. :P

- Rob

Noir
08-28-2003, 08:12 PM
woohoo..rob you are no longer the last man standing :D you're army has grown to 3 :D.

i hope you didn't get offended :D. i was just horsing around, trying to be funny :D. you are welcome to poke fun at me whenever you like, i'm up for it :D.

jeez...guess some people take this pretty seriously. oh well. not everyone is as laid back i guess.

cheers!

mikecg
08-28-2003, 08:43 PM
I was a previous Dodge owner. I owned a 96 Stratus. The car was Great. had the ES with the 2.5L V-6 power everything, keyless entry, ect. I got it used with 15K miles on it. When I gave it up it had 130K on it, and was still running strong. Anyone who was at the MD Crab Meet knows I dont baby my cars. I drive 'm like I stole 'm. The only problem I had after getting it was an exhaust leak that was a quick warranty repair. The exhaust pipe has a section of flex tubing to allow for engine torque and thats what stated to leak. If you look at the price of a car and the quality, yoou have to remember it's cheaper for a reason. And theres a reason the SVX sold for over $30,000 verses a $15,000 Neon. The SVX is got more quality built into it. Your getting what you pay for. My Stratus was 23,000 new. Hence I had a good high quality car that had good power, handled great(possibly better than my SVX), and was extremly reliable. I almost forgot safe. I wrecked the thing 3 times and it kept on going(after some minor body work). I use to be a Chevy fan growing up. I have since become a Dodge fan. Most of my family has owned Chevy's, and I had far better look with Dodge, both my car and dealing with dealers. As for Subaru, my SVX is my first, and truthfully the only subby I like. I'm not fond of any of there others. Im still trying to figure out if the Forester is an SUV of a hightop station wagon.

Chicane
08-28-2003, 09:02 PM
ha. There we go now. Anyway, the problem with dodge is fit and finish, rattles, and supposedly (if you get an automatic) they have trans problems. The SVX also has trans problems, but its SUPERBLY BUILT. The fit and finish of the SVX is fantastic, and I don't even know if you can get a car with comparable fit/finish for under 5 grand. The SVX is pretty much the only Subie I'd ever own... the WRX/STi is cool, but a bit too boy racerish for me. I do admit I'm starting to get a soft spot for the Justy and XT though. :)

- Rob

PS: Actually, I really like the older Legacy GTs also.

Shadow248
08-28-2003, 10:45 PM
Everyone has their opinion, and that is the problem with this never-ending argument.

Rob - your mission in life does not have to be to single handedly make the neon as classy as a Ferrari. Every car maker has their Econoboxes and they all have problems. Even the untouchable Civic. Which, incidentally, I hate as much as the neon. Anyway, you will never change the world's perspective, so relax.

It is my experience that chrysler products are of sub-standard quality. I know of NO post 1990 chrysler products that have made it over 100,000 miles without major problems. Certainly there are some, but I haven't seen any. Nor has my dad (former mechanic) or any of his friends. All the mechanics (read: knowledgeable) people I know say stay away from Chryslers. So that's what I do. My entire family buys only GM and all are very happy with the product. Of course this is all experienced based opinion, and that doesn't make it a rule, but if every brand A apple you ever saw was bad, you'd probably stay away from brand A wouldn't you?

GreenMarine
08-29-2003, 08:08 AM
On the discussion of Chrysler being reliable or not... The Jeep that I had (Now my friend has) was a little 2 door Cherokee 2.5ltr 4 banger... That engine put up with so much of my **** and now is putting up with my buddues ****... In just over a year we both have put over 60,000 miles on it.... I've actually driven it about 3 times more than my SVX... The only things that I had to do to it was change the oil every 3,000 miles and change the spark plugs and belts... It gave me awesome reliability and if I had to ever buy another American car I would buy a Jeep... And only a Jeep... I hate Chevy's, Ford's and everything else American.... Only because they are made so cheaply... But when ya think about it Chrysler has alot of forign influence in the company.... It is almost like an overseas anerican company.... In fact I would not be the least bit supprised if you look on the SRT-4's engine and see "Mitsubishi" on the side... They used Mitsubishi engines for the Talon abck in the 90's.... :rolleyes: :cool: :) Just something to think about... :cool: :) :D

Shot king
08-29-2003, 09:45 AM
Hell yeah, my daily driver is a Jeep Cherokee 4.0 liter approachin 175,000 and that thing has survived burnout after burnout, offroad misadventures, and i've beat the thing more than i care to admit but it still runs wicked strong and shows no signs of giving up.But i also have to add mines an "87" makin it an AMC not a Chrysler. All hail AMC.

Chicane
08-29-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Shadow248
I know of NO post 1990 chrysler products that have made it over 100,000 miles without major problems. .....

but if every brand A apple you ever saw was bad, you'd probably stay away from brand A wouldn't you?

My grandmas minivan (1996 Voyager) hit 106k without any problems. My neon hit 105k without any problems (the headgasket went out right after I bought it, and it was replaced with the MLS(multi layered steel) gasket, no problems since. All neons built after 98 had MLS gaskets, and they regularly hit 100k no problem whatsoever.

The problem here is that you are not actually 'witnessing' chryslers going bad, you're HEARING about it. It's like rumors and tabloids. Yes, its common knowledge that Chrsylers are unreliable. Common knowledge meaning opinions that a lot of people share. But is it true? No. It isn't.

- Rob

Chicane
08-29-2003, 02:02 PM
But when ya think about it Chrysler has alot of forign influence in the company.... It is almost like an overseas anerican company.... In fact I would not be the least bit supprised if you look on the SRT-4's engine and see "Mitsubishi" on the side... They used Mitsubishi engines for the Talon abck in the 90's.... :rolleyes: :cool: :) Just something to think about... :cool: :) :D

Exactly. The engine in the SRT4 however, IS A CHRYSLER engine, it's been in the mexican stratus R/Ts for over 5 years (the reason they had a turbo charged car in mexico was to get decent power out of really crappy gas), and they basically just retuned the engine for performance, instead of 'ability to deal with crappy gas'. However, about the whole foreign influence thing, you're correct. Mopar and DSMs share a LOT of information, and basically any turbocharged Dodge has some mitsu R&D behind it, and vice versa. So if you want to say "SRT4 is crap, its dodge and turbo so its unreliable and wont make 100k!!!" then FINE, but you must also say the same things about the new Lancer EVO.

- Rob

solarsvx
08-29-2003, 02:06 PM
hey rob the lancer evo has been around for abought 10 years now runing the 4g63 all the evos 1-8 run the 4g63 along with eclipse/laser/talons and also the galant vr4s wich are rare,, the new evo runs a stock titanuim 16g turbo the 90-94 TEL
'talon eagle laser" run 14b turbos and the 95-99 talon and eclipse run t-25 turbos wich are garetts

so education 101 dsm is all 4g63 engine basicaly so lots of history and work behind them

Chicane
08-29-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by solarsvx
so education 101 dsm is all 4g63 engine basicaly so lots of history and work behind them

Exactly. And since mitsu and dodge are bed buddies; they share all their info with each other, it'd be stupid to think the Evo as reliable but the SRT4 as unreliable.

- Rob

Landshark
08-29-2003, 04:03 PM
The problem here is that you are not actually 'witnessing' chryslers going bad, you're HEARING about it. It's like rumors and tabloids. Yes, its common knowledge that Chrsylers are unreliable. Common knowledge meaning opinions that a lot of people share. But is it true? No. It isn't.

- Rob

i guess my best friend (Chrysler Service Mgr.) is lying to me then. he tells me the horror stories he sees everyday, and tells me to NEVER buy a Chinsler product - why? :rolleyes:

i told him once that he should get a job at the Subaru dealer next door, and he said, "why? i'll never have a shortage of work here." ;)

Chicane
08-29-2003, 05:48 PM

i guess my best friend (Chrysler Service Mgr.) is lying to me then. he tells me the horror stories he sees everyday, and tells me to NEVER buy a Chinsler product - why? :rolleyes:

i told him once that he should get a job at the Subaru dealer next door, and he said, "why? i'll never have a shortage of work here." ;)

Uh... dude.. think about this a little bit.... HE WORKS AT A PLACE WHERE THEY REPAIR CHRYSLERS!!!!!!!! WHAT DO YOU THINK HE WORKS ON EVERYDAY!!!!!?!?!??!

Think about that long and hard, and maybe I'll tell you what the Subaru Technicians do all day, but you'd better be sitting down...;)

- Rob

mikecg
08-29-2003, 07:26 PM
Ihad a 90 Eclipes turbo(GST) I put 130,000 miles on it. The turbo still worked like new. You cant look at just the repair reports. You got to consider whose driving them. You put a turbo on an engine it increases stress on the engine. However if you drive it like you have half a brain it will run fine. You take it to the strip ever other weekend, you'll be lucky to get 2 years out of it. Your talking about cheap cars setup to atract a younger crowd. The type of crowd thats going to beat the living crap out of it. That is bound to make the car look bad, because there going to have a high failure rate. When I traded my Eclips into a Mitsu dealer, he was suprised to see the turbo working like new. The GST's were drivin by younger drivers and the turbos were regularly failing before the cars had 90k on them,

Landshark
08-29-2003, 07:26 PM

Uh... dude.. think about this a little bit.... HE WORKS AT A PLACE WHERE THEY REPAIR CHRYSLERS!!!!!!!! WHAT DO YOU THINK HE WORKS ON EVERYDAY!!!!!?!?!??!

Think about that long and hard, and maybe I'll tell you what the Subaru Technicians do all day, but you'd better be sitting down...;)

- Rob

umm...he's worked at other car dealerships (Chevy, Porsche, i forget what else) and he is always surprised at how crappily the Chinslers are put together, and the problems people bring in with their NEW cars. i know all makes of cars will have their share of lemons and problems, but the Chinslers have CONSISTANTLY TOO MANY. more than other makes.

i know you love them, though - maybe you just like a challenge. :rolleyes:

mikecg
08-29-2003, 07:27 PM
I was also married when I had the GST, wife would have killed be if I ran it hard

NikFu S.
08-29-2003, 10:06 PM
this thread is too long. dodge is a great company with great vehicles. but then again who doesnt make good vehicles?
kia.
nuff said.

Chicane
08-29-2003, 11:43 PM
I think every car marque has its ups and downs, and they all have their 'good models' and 'bad models'. I'm intelligent enough not to judge a company, but judge a CAR. That said, i still have a HATRED for Camaros and Mustangs, but I still think they're good cars, I'm just sick of seeing them all the time in car magazines, car shows, etc etc.

- Rob

Shot king
08-30-2003, 01:23 PM
I agree with ya on that one if there was a such thing as a completely bad company they would have been out o business a long time ago and its ok to ate a car even if ya have no goo reason for it:D

ensteele
08-30-2003, 01:43 PM
These Neon threads are always good for Chicane to get his post count up. He is so predictable and is so easy to get on a rampage! Will he ever learn? Will you guys ever learn? It is good for a chuckle though. :)

Chicane 20
Landshark 6
Shot king 5
SHISVX 5
GreenMarineSVX 4
NikFu S. 4
solarsvx 3
mikecg 3
Noir 3
BurgundyBeast 3
Shadow248 1
Phast SVX 1

:)

Landshark
08-30-2003, 02:52 PM
damn, i'm slacking. ;)

Shot king
08-30-2003, 02:55 PM
I'll keep posti since i'm sur no ones payin attention anymore:D

GreenMarine
08-30-2003, 09:41 PM
Not bad Idea!!! My goal is to get 1000 posts before I get moved from my job to my new one...

NikFu S.
08-31-2003, 06:01 AM
i just want to get a really high number so the newbies will think im some kind of guru.
:D

NikFu S.
08-31-2003, 06:20 AM
An exerpt from the Porche Carrera GT page.

"Every hairpin, corner and chicane has been studied by our drivers and engineers."

So thats what a chicane is. Something to do with hairpins and corners. Right on.

CigarJohnny
08-31-2003, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by ensteele
These Neon threads are always good for Chicane to get his post count up. He is so predictable and is so easy to get on a rampage! Will he ever learn? Will you guys ever learn? It is good for a chuckle though. :)

Chicane 20
Landshark 6
Shot king 5
SHISVX 5
GreenMarineSVX 4
NikFu S. 4
solarsvx 3
mikecg 3
Noir 3
BurgundyBeast 3
Shadow248 1
Phast SVX 1

:) Earl! You forgot "CA$H" and "$VX"! Shame on you forgetting those massive post listing aliases of his. :D

CigarJohnny
08-31-2003, 07:55 AM
Your revised list looks like this:

Rob's handles:
Chicane 20
CA$H 24
$VX 59

Everyone else:
Landshark 6
Shot king 5
SHISVX 5
GreenMarineSVX 4
NikFu S. 4
solarsvx 3
mikecg 3
Noir 3
BurgundyBeast 3
Shadow248 1
Phast SVX 1

:D:D:D

CigarJohnny
08-31-2003, 08:13 AM
Number of posts that mention Neons:

Chicane: 113 out of 1453
CA$H: 42 out of 397
$VX: 100 out of 1467

All those from 54 weeks of posting. Holy Crap! You post a lot, Rob! :D :p

Hmmm...I wonder how many include Macs...

CigarJohnny
08-31-2003, 08:16 AM
Not too bad...only 40 in total between all 3 aliases. :D

Ok...enough of this sillyness...back to work. Is it lunch time yet? I'm starving :(

SHISVX
08-31-2003, 10:41 AM
i am starving too, i am work...and i am soooo hungry...at least the patients are patient today...they just keep on rolling in:(

Kelli

Chicane
08-31-2003, 10:54 AM
http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/oliphant/th7260.jpg

V for...

Subafreak
08-31-2003, 11:35 AM
What are we talking about? I need more sleep.

Andy
08-31-2003, 12:18 PM
Maybe we could show some more respect for the Neons (that is, the day they can beat a Radical SR3 :D )

http://www.radicalmotorsport.com/

mbtoloczko
09-23-2003, 02:04 PM
Perhaps I'm resurrecting a dead thread, but I believe it was in Sport Compact Car where there was an article detailing the construction of the motor and tranny for the Neon SRT-4. The rest of the car may be **** (or it may not), but the motor and tranny were designed specifically for this car, and they built the things to be very tough. I wish our SVX motors were built as tough.

Chicane
09-23-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by mbtoloczko
Perhaps I'm resurrecting a dead thread, but I believe it was in Sport Compact Car where there was an article detailing the construction of the motor and tranny for the Neon SRT-4. The rest of the car may be **** (or it may not), but the motor and tranny were designed specifically for this car, and they built the things to be very tough. I wish our SVX motors were built as tough.

Believe it (or not), regular neon engines don't really suck either. Yes, they had headgasket problems. ORIGINALLY. But once you get the updated gasket, they're fine. Durable, taking 100shots of nitrous without complaining, lasting 150k easy, and most importantly, QUITE TORQUEY for being a 4 banger. :) Anyway, the SRT4 is pretty badass. The brakes are great also, they're CARAVAN brakes, on a tiny little neon. The suspension is alright from what I've heard, nothing too spectacular....... but yes, the interior sucks. :)

- Rob

EDIT: What's 'weak' about our SVX motors?!?! They run like champs, even after 170k miles! What else do you want?!?! Forged crank, aluminum pistons, silky smooth, etc. I love our H6!!!!!

mbtoloczko
09-23-2003, 03:54 PM

EDIT: What's 'weak' about our SVX motors?!?! They run like champs, even after 170k miles! What else do you want?!?! Forged crank, aluminum pistons, silky smooth, etc. I love our H6!!!!!

They may have a forged crank and are smooth, but I wouldn't be too comfortable running a 100 HP shot of nitrous, even with timing adjustments to stop detonation.

GreenMarine
09-24-2003, 06:37 AM
Ya know there are guys here that run 100 shot of "Nawwss" with no problem... I'd never do it though because I love my engine... If I could I would marry it and have sex with it and ........ oh, sorry.... Got a little carried away there... :D:D:cool: But yea, I love that engine, it is dreat!!!!

Phast SVX
09-24-2003, 08:13 AM
i have done it, and i run 70 normally, and im at 178k. The temp guage dosnt even go up after a run. everything is relevent to your engines capabilites. a common misconception is that nitrous will blow up your engine. It will accelerate problems already persistant if your not carefull, but is not inherently detrimental to an engines life.
phil

GreenMarine
09-24-2003, 08:25 AM
Hell my engine's been more reliable than the girls that I've dated over the past 2 years... And didn't cost me nearly as much to maintain... ( I hate high maintenance chicks:rolleyes: )....

mbtoloczko
09-24-2003, 11:01 AM
I'm waiting for the long term report from someone who runs a 100 shot regularly.

SHISVX
09-24-2003, 12:23 PM
Hell my engine's been more reliable than the girls that I've dated over the past 2 years... And didn't cost me nearly as much to maintain... ( I hate high maintenance chicks:rolleyes: )....

so date one that doesn't shower...just being seen with ya is good enough for her ;)

Kelli

SVX26517
09-24-2003, 01:32 PM
Yep, im beginning to think that it is true, chryslers are unreliable, oh well, ill buy a honda or something. :rolleyes: or maybe a svx, if i can get my hands on one:p

Chicane
09-24-2003, 01:39 PM
http://millenniumsound.net/video/camaro.mpg

Enjoy. It's pretty funny. Turn up the sound. HEhehe.

- Rob

SVX26517
09-24-2003, 03:05 PM
:rolleyes:

Landshark
09-24-2003, 03:51 PM
http://millenniumsound.net/video/camaro.mpg

Enjoy. It's pretty funny. Turn up the sound. HEhehe.

- Rob

i figure those clowns to be typical Neon owners. :)

Chicane
09-24-2003, 04:10 PM

i figure those clowns to be typical Neon owners. :)

I agree. Most neon owners are morons. Then again, most cavalier owners are morons, most SUV owners a morons, and most minivan owners a morons. :)

- Rob

SVX26517
09-24-2003, 08:40 PM

I agree. Most neon owners are morons. Then again, most cavalier owners are morons, most SUV owners a morons, and most minivan owners a morons. :)

- Rob

i have to say that is very true, and dont forget most sunfire,grand am owners

neon03
09-24-2003, 08:55 PM
You all need to lay off the Haterade

Landshark
09-24-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by neon03
You all need to lay off the Haterade

mmmmm......i like the purple flavor.

GreenMarine
09-25-2003, 01:00 PM
Yea, I'd have to say that Mountian crush is probably my most favorite flavor of Haterade... :D:D:D Then again Lime is pretty good after a good game of basketball... :cool::cool:

SVX26517
09-25-2003, 08:57 PM
haterade is good stuff. I like mine in Neon flavor :D ;)

GreenMarine
09-26-2003, 06:19 AM
Haha!!! We are hopeless!!! We don't just give the car ****, we give anything that says "neon" ****... :D:D:D:D:cool: What can we say, we're SVX owners!!! :):D:cool:

Chicane
09-26-2003, 12:39 PM
Haha!!! We are hopeless!!! We don't just give the car ****, we give anything that says "neon" ****... :D:D:D:D:cool: What can we say, we're SVX owners!!! :):D:cool:

>shrug< A modded neon would still destroy any SVX I've ever heard of.

- Rob

SVX26517
09-26-2003, 01:03 PM
a modded SVX will destroy any modded neon :D ;)

Chicane
09-26-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by SVX26517
a modded SVX will destroy any modded neon :D ;)

No modded SVX's have even made it into the 13s yet. I know of neons in the 11s, full street daily drivers. 8s and 9s drag cars.

- Rob

Andy
09-26-2003, 03:55 PM

No modded SVX's have even made it into the 13s yet. I know of neons in the 11s, full street daily drivers. 8s and 9s drag cars.

- Rob

But even the most heavily modded neon will be p***ed on by a standard SR3

Chicane
09-26-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Andy

But even the most heavily modded neon will be p***ed on by a standard SR3

Yeah, but HOW much do those suckers cost???

- Rob

SVX26517
09-27-2003, 04:21 PM
Hey Chicane, you see this show called driveshaft last night? Its on FX and they made a 98 Neon and a 91 Stanza in chariots like in ancient rome. Well the neon won :D

Oh yeah, neons are OK now ;)

Andy
09-27-2003, 04:25 PM

Yeah, but HOW much do those suckers cost???

- Rob

Tell me your budget