PDA

View Full Version : interested in an RX-8?

Landshark
08-23-2003, 02:36 AM
not only are they ugly, but they are ugly AND weak! ha ha ha! :D

http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9347

LarryIII
08-23-2003, 07:06 AM
I just saw my first one in person about a 1/2 hour ago. I was very very disappointed in the styling. My '92 pearly was parked very close to it. The SVX has much much better styling.

Landshark
08-23-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by LarryIII
I just saw my first one in person about a 1/2 hour ago. I was very very disappointed in the styling. My '92 pearly was parked very close to it. The SVX has much much better styling.

agreed. its upsetting because i thought the last generation RX-7 was a REALLY beautiful car. :(

upnygimp
08-23-2003, 11:08 AM
Still, over 200 HP isnt really a slouch....try driving a 165 HP Avenger (I dont even wanna know what the fwhp is on that car). Then you'll appreciate over 200 HP :)

Landshark
08-23-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by upnygimp
Still, over 200 HP isnt really a slouch....try driving a 165 HP Avenger (I dont even wanna know what the fwhp is on that car). Then you'll appreciate over 200 HP :)

actually, i kinda think the SVX is a slouch. it has all the bases covered as far as looks, comfort, performance, AWD, etc. but its just not GREAT in any one category. i've owned a Plymouth Horizon and a Chevy Lumina, so your Avenger isn't so bad.

i've been driving the WRX alot the last few days, and getting back into the SVX is, well, kinda boring! <ducks and dons Nomex suit> i think i'm even getting a bit bored with the WRX. i'm thinking about getting the ECU reflashed, but i need an excuse to tell the wife that her car needs to sit for about 4 days. ;)

Noir
08-23-2003, 11:44 PM
i thought about buying one. i have a cousin that can get mazda's for dealer invoice price. dunno how much it'll be, but i thought i'd buy one, drive it for a bit then sell it if i didn't like it. won't lose much money. not sure though, too many projects underway and i'm trying to buy a house next year. hmm..maybe i need a 2nd job... :D

srmifer
08-24-2003, 02:48 PM
i saw one a few days ago at the mall. i think the dealer drove it around the lot till a spot in the front space opened up...so they parked it where everyone saw it as they walked out. personally, I was disapointed in the styling...reminded me of a cross between a chrysler crossfire and hyndai tiburon. i swear the prototype/concept pictures i saw had the car with a lot more of a smooth elegance to it...instead of a mixture of that and hard edges (which in my opinoin, ruins it). the rx-7 was a beautiful car...i think they just tried to 'modernize' the look too much. oh well...

LarryIII
08-24-2003, 05:48 PM
I saw a second one on Sat afternoon at the gas station. It was black. Rosie and I were gasing up her '94 pearly.

I was still disappointed in the styling.

Styling has very little to do with performnce. The Caddy 16 show car has 1000 hp. I think it's still ugly.

Coming out of the gas station we saw an Austin Healy bug-eyed Sprite followed by an Austin Healy roadster driving into it. Later on going down the road a 1920's Chevy came the other way. It was a taupe & black convertible. There must have been a local antique car show.

solarsvx
08-25-2003, 07:56 AM
the rsx8 is nothing like its predecessor. 4 doors? no turbos?

the rx7 was rated the one of the best sports cars ever made,, 2 seats light nimble RWD trwin turbo charged 9,000 rpm redline and looks that could kill

im a huge fan of the rotary and the rx7 they have some reliability issues though there apex seal go bad alot untill u up grade them, but it has huge after market and massive power also runing single turbo systems.

mikecg
08-25-2003, 02:00 PM
There is a large difference in what you get at the wheels and wha the engine makes. I have a 94L (FWD). Even with out all the extra gearing(AWD) eating up HP before the wheels I'm getting 147hp at the wheels. I had it Dyno'd at a NOPI drag show.

I still think I'd not be too conserned about coming up against an "Angry Guppy"(RX-8)

Landshark
08-25-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by mikecg
There is a large difference in what you get at the wheels and wha the engine makes. I have a 94L (FWD). Even with out all the extra gearing(AWD) eating up HP before the wheels I'm getting 147hp at the wheels. I had it Dyno'd at a NOPI drag show.

i think you might have some 'issues' - you're losing 37% of your power from the factory-rated crank hp to the wheels!
if i remember right, automatics should lose about 20-25% of the power through the drivetrain, manuals less, maybe like 15%.

JLittell
08-25-2003, 04:04 PM
I hate the doors the way they open!

RRX
08-26-2003, 06:47 AM
I don't think the rx8 is the replacement for the rx7. There are a few rumors of them reintroducing the rx7.

GreenMarine
08-26-2003, 07:39 AM
yea I heard that too... Saw the pictures for the new RX-7... Looks like it is gonna be one nice beast!!!... And with that new Renisses Rotary Turbocharged, you just can't go wrong!!!! :)

alacrity024
08-26-2003, 05:13 PM
my six cents:

.02- I like the way the new RX8 looks.. i saw a couple of them in person on my roadtrip and they're pretty stylish.. some ferrari cues, some blatent mazda cues.. pretty good looking cars

.02- the engine is pretty cool. it's a great step for the rotary in terms of efficienty and power. plus it revs to 9500 :D however 167 ft/lbs of torque is just weak as hell.. i hope to god they slap a big ol' turbo on the 2005 RX8

.02- it's my understanding that an automatic transmission will sap quite a bit of power from an engine to the wheels, but AWD will also take quite a bit. ~150hp at the wheels for an elderly SVX sounds about right to me. well, it's not RIGHT, but it's ok ;) I hear that the new STi dynos somewhere around 250hp at the wheels.. manufacturers need to start advertising their cars with whp instead of bhp....

-adam