PDA

View Full Version : Hesitation Found: Ecu Crush Mod Really Works

Subafreak
08-21-2003, 09:02 PM
I had some spare time tonight wile waiting for the paint on my wiper arms to dry, so I got on the Mitchell and looked up TSB's on hesitation and there it was right on the screen, I couldn't belive it. I had always thought the ECU crush mod was a hack fix, I didn't know it was an acctual factory TSB. So I had the directions and a nice pic of where it was, so I pulled out the ECU and crushed that baby, and on the way home NO MORE FREAKIN HESITATION! Happy Day.

Also disconecting the battery seems to have reset my idle problem after adjusting my TPS. Happy Day indeed.

Phast SVX
08-21-2003, 11:57 PM
wow, i guess i should check into this....do you have the tsb handy?
thanks
phil

FearWhat
08-22-2003, 12:00 AM
That all sounds kewl. But were do i look up for those for my SVX? and how to do it.

thanks man., I would love to kill that hesitation., well ttyl

Seraph
08-22-2003, 12:17 AM
Check the how-to locker and yahoo locker/archives for the TSB and how to on the crush mod. It's there. But I don't have a 92 so I don't have to do that. :)

Motorsport-SVX
08-22-2003, 12:43 AM
think Ill do mine this weekend and take some pics
of the process if I remember my camera.....
This stuff all over the web, just got to search ;)

Motorsport-SVX
08-22-2003, 01:03 AM
for some good pics and info

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98

FearWhat
08-22-2003, 02:08 AM
Now I do have one Q before i do end up crushing something in my newly purchaced svx hehe,

Does anyone know if this has any long term effects on the car?

thanks ttyl

Shot king
08-22-2003, 09:46 AM
Is this somthing everyone can benefit from? I don't have any noticeable hesitation on my 92 or maybe i do and i'm just so used to it i don't notice it. Any help you can give me subafreak and i'm sure Type O would be proud.

Motorsport-SVX
08-22-2003, 10:17 AM
if its a TSB directly from Subaru....
you can usually trust it. An engineer made this happen
not some kid in ohio who thought it may be a good idea.
If you have a 92, it cant hurt to do it regardless

Seraph
08-22-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Shot king
Is this somthing everyone can benefit from?

If you have a 92, it can't hurt.

CDG
08-22-2003, 01:04 PM
I'm more than ready to do this, but I'm not sure I understand the issue of Hesitation?
When, where does this occur?
I know the car definately hesitates when its cold, but is there something a little more specific?

I suppose I could just crush the bugger and see....:p

Trevor
08-22-2003, 10:06 PM
Yes please, will someone define the hesitation referred to. Is this the rather tardy kick-down response which is annoying when one calls for everything on tap when making an overtaking manoeuvre ? If so an improvement would be welcome.

The component involved in Òthe crushÓ is most certainly not a resistor and is more certain to be a ferrite bead inserted to prevent possible R.F. interference, hence the reference to noise suppression. Just how removing it could cure Òhesitation Ô is rather intriguing and must have presented a curly problem to the original designer.

Motorsport-SVX
08-22-2003, 10:22 PM
From a dead stop, when you take off
many 92 cars experience a hesitation
for a split second before the car actually
takes off.......
Sometimes the hesitation is also caused by
transmission woes when the cars cold
but thats a whole different ballgame.....

CDG
08-22-2003, 10:26 PM
Trevor, I think its actually an inductor or coil(can't remember what they are called, but opposite of a capacitor), and we can't remove it, we just crush it a little, which I would expect reduces its inductive charactoristics therefore changing some logic decision.
Capacitance/inductance.

Anyways, I'll give it a shot, and see where it changes the so called hesitation, maybe everywhere???

Phast SVX
08-23-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by CDG
Trevor, I think its actually an inductor or coil(can't remember what they are called, but opposite of a capacitor), and we can't remove it, we just crush it a little, which I would expect reduces its inductive charactoristics therefore changing some logic decision.
Capacitance/inductance.

Anyways, I'll give it a shot, and see where it changes the so called hesitation, maybe everywhere???
yeah, its a wire that we merely are removng the resistance from. Who knows why it is there to begin with :)
phil

Subafreak
08-23-2003, 12:31 PM
Yes it's acctually a noise suppresor, and your doing is crushing the suppresion stuff to make it crumble apart and fall off the wire. As the directions say "don't break the wire, or you will have to replace the ECM". The TSB states that if a customer comes in with a complaint of hesitation that it's a normal thing and it's just the ECM doiing it's thing, but if the costomer isn't happy with that answer to do the crush mod. Now I think I always had the hesitation but with the auto it seemed like more of a tranny thing, after I did the 5 speed swap the hesitation became a noticable and annoying engine thing. I belive the crush mod is a must for anyone with a 5 speed and that it can't hurt for anyone with an auto either. Just Do It.

P.S. Shot King, I think you might be the first person here to have any idea where I got that from.

CDG
08-23-2003, 01:01 PM
Thanks S-Freak, thats what I wanted to here.
Everybody has an opinion, but just tell me to do it. And I'll listen.:D

tuzem
08-23-2003, 01:17 PM
I just got the ECU off and I have no clue which of the damn resistors I need to cut! Here is what it looks like:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/tuzem/11342.jpg

Somebody, please help ;) Thanks!!!!

-Nick

immortal_suby
08-23-2003, 01:20 PM
Pics in my locker of the ECU location and internals - some may not have the bead in there to crush. This is a great mod - one of the first I did on mine shortly after buying it.

tuzem
08-23-2003, 01:30 PM
Hmm... I don't have the tan and the other resistor... Does this mean I don't have the hesitation problem? Or just that I can't do anything about it??? Thanks!!!

Nick

immortal_suby
08-23-2003, 01:33 PM
My wifes 92 did not have them either - see the pic in my locker. But her's did have a chip in the slot where mine was empty. Her svx was manufactured 6/91 and it does not hesitate a bit - looks identical to the ECU you have in your locker.

tuzem
08-23-2003, 01:35 PM
Cool :) Thanks! Mine was also made 06/91 and has the chip. I guess I'll put it all back together ;)) Thanks!

-Nick

CDG
08-23-2003, 01:44 PM
Crap, I just pulled my ECU, and opened it, and I have the Bead-less model, but with the tan resistor cut. So I guess thats why I don't feel the hesitation. see my locker.
BTW, I looked in the ECU before reading the above 2 posts, and wet myself, thinking some-one cut the tan resistor by mistake. But its apparently normal. Good to know.

Oh Well, no bead crush mod for me.:rolleyes:

Subafreak
08-23-2003, 04:33 PM
Hmm' mines a 5/91 and had the noise supressor and had the chip with no tan resistor. Another interesting thing on the TSB is that it says if you have the chip the tan resistor should be cut. It seems like the chip would be important and should be in every ECU. I wonder why they made so many variations of the same ECU? It also says that if there is a black dot next to the part # on the ECU that it won't have the noise supressor so don't bother opening it. Maybe I should have mentioned that earlier.

CDG
08-23-2003, 05:45 PM
Its ok, I would have stopped if I saw your first Post.

CigarJohnny
08-24-2003, 08:38 AM
I may have to investigate this for my SVX. It has a hesitation just off idle when accelerating from a stop. I doubt the mod has been done to it yet. I hope it works for me. :)

elninoalex
08-24-2003, 09:31 AM
I did it to both my cars(92s). On the black one, it made a huge difference. On my yellow one, it made no difference. Both ECUs were the same model #, the rarest of the bunch. So results may vary.

Stephen

ensteele
08-24-2003, 09:47 AM
I posted a How-To last night in the Documents on how to do this. :)

immortal_suby
08-24-2003, 05:10 PM
Good job on the how-to, Earl. Pretty soon we'll have our own version of the service manual with all the how-to documents that have been written! :D

ensteele
08-24-2003, 10:17 PM
Now I am trying to put them into folders so it will be easier to get to the ones you want. :)

Motorsport-SVX
08-24-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by immortal_suby
My wifes 92 did not have them either - see the pic in my locker. But her's did have a chip in the slot where mine was empty. Her svx was manufactured 6/91 and it does not hesitate a bit - looks identical to the ECU you have in your locker.

Which chip are you referring to ? can you circle it and post
a pic?
So far Ive seen ECUs with:

1 ECU w/ tan resistor (some cut, some not yet)
(whats cutting this wire suppose to do?)

1 ECU w/ tan and black resistor (with the black one crushed)
just leaving the tan one intact AND not cut...
(I know this should help with the hesitation)

1 ECU with no resistors and a chip in some ROM location
which shouldnt be touched.

Also, so this message:
"... clear the memory using the select monitor."
Hows this done ?

thanks...DG

immortal_suby
08-25-2003, 06:10 PM
Here's the pic with the chip circled
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/immortal_suby/11479.jpg

CDG
08-25-2003, 10:29 PM
Whats the Chip do?
Or whats it for?
looks like an old fashion Eprom, the kind anyone can read and write to?
Is this where the Region Mapping is done?
Mapping of Altitude compensation, fuel Mixture, etc?

ensteele
08-25-2003, 11:26 PM
There is a How-To in the locker with pictures. :)

CDG
08-26-2003, 12:03 AM
Thx Earl. But I'm still lost. (As usual)
Can you help me narrow down which How-To I should look at for the ECU Chip details?:confused:

Motorsport-SVX
08-26-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by CDG
Thx Earl. But I'm still lost. (As usual)
Can you help me narrow down which How-To I should look at for the ECU Chip details?:confused:

seriously dude, who knows who cares...
some engineer for Subaru knows what its for and why
its there. Thats not the type of info thats commonly
found out by joe shmoes like us. All I care is that its there for a reason and the cars price tag didnt jump up because of it. :):D

ensteele
08-26-2003, 07:59 AM
Gee Chris, you are gonna' miss out! We are having an engineer come and lecture our group at the next meet (Drive and campout). They will take it apart and put it back together for us and let you touch it and everything! :rolleyes: ;) :D jk

I don't think the how to details the chip itself, it only shows it. The name of it is "ECU Mod (Noise Suppressor Bead Crush)" That's all there is. :)

CDG
08-26-2003, 08:33 AM
Thanks Earl, :rolleyes:
Give the Guest Engineer my best:cool:
Oh, and finish writing that How To on Owning 5 SVX's:p

ensteele
08-26-2003, 01:20 PM
:D :D :D

immortal_suby
08-26-2003, 05:19 PM
The local subie tech told me the chip would show a noticeable increase in performance on my svx. He said all he needed was my vin to order one for me. I was concerned about it adding a speed limiter or something so I did not do it on mine.
I have, however, swapped ecu's between my car and my wife's car (her's is chipped, mine is noise suppressor crushed with no chip) and saw no difference in either car's performance. I did not test the top speed though.

Trevor
08-26-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by CDG
Capacitance/inductance.

I have been watching this thread and have checked the " how too " info and although I have not sighted the animal in question I am prepared to say that what is being crushed is most surely a ferrite bead.

Every thing points to this. There would be danger in givong instructions to crush an inductor as this would more than likely break the circuit which it is clear is not intended. The official instructions refer to " noise suppressor " and " bead " which ties in.

CDG
08-26-2003, 10:29 PM
Since my ECU has no bead, I'll never know.
But if someone can take a macro shot of it, and see if there are markings, we could identify the bugger and look it up. I might even have one in my bucket of electronic parts.

It also appears that many(no idea how many) have done the mod, and I haven't heard of anyone toasting their ECU, although I would think there must be someone who has destroyed the ECU, from static or other, while doing the Bead Crush???

elninoalex
08-27-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Trevor

I have been watching this thread and have checked the " how too " info and although I have not sighted the animal in question I am prepared to say that what is being crushed is most surely a ferrite bead.

Every thing points to this. There would be danger in givong instructions to crush an inductor as this would more than likely break the circuit which it is clear is not intended. The official instructions refer to " noise suppressor " and " bead " which ties in.

Yup, its definately a ferrite bead.

oab_au
08-27-2003, 05:31 PM
The Ferrite bead is an inductor with a single turn winding.
It is used to slow the rise time of a signal to the computer. Removing it just allows a faster response to the signal. The size of it would suggest that its effect would be in the low micro sec range.

That said, I have no idea what signal it is or what the signal is used for. :D

Harvey.

Chicane
08-27-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Motorsport-SVX
From a dead stop, when you take off
many 92 cars experience a hesitation
for a split second before the car actually
takes off.......
Sometimes the hesitation is also caused by
transmission woes when the cars cold
but thats a whole different ballgame.....

This could explain my poor reaction times and 16.7 second 1/4 mile times at the drag strip. I've used a 'practice tree' before and usually get .5-.7 but at the strip the best I could get was a 1.3 or something pathetic like that, and it seems like the car was like "uhh... hmm... OH YEAH! GO!!!!!"

So should I crush this sucker AND install the shift kit??

- Rob

Trevor
08-27-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by oab_au
The Ferrite bead is an inductor with a single turn winding.
It is used to slow the rise time of a signal to the computer. Removing it just allows a faster response to the signal. The size of it would suggest that its effect would be in the low micro sec range.

That said, I have no idea what signal it is or what the signal is used for. :D

Harvey.

Harvey a ferrite bead IS a ferrite bead and that IS the item being crushed. If one or several turns are taken through a ferrite bead the complete component, so formed, constitutes an inductor.

A ferrite bead can have a single wire through it without a turn and still perform a function. From all that has been in print here this would appear to be what is being described. Have you examined the item or can someone else describe its physical make up? If there is a turn through the bead this would be in danger of being broken as it must be of small cross section.

Your stated fact re " slows the rise time of an input signal " is an interesting conjecture to say the least, given the constant being discussed.

But whatever -- the CRUSHED component IS a ferrite bead. No more and no less.

Subafreak
08-29-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Chicane

This could explain my poor reaction times and 16.7 second 1/4 mile times at the drag strip. I've used a 'practice tree' before and usually get .5-.7 but at the strip the best I could get was a 1.3 or something pathetic like that, and it seems like the car was like "uhh... hmm... OH YEAH! GO!!!!!"

So should I crush this sucker AND install the shift kit??

- Rob

Yes. I,v heard you describe your cars attitued and I think you might have this problem. It work for me and I'm so fricken happy I could just kick my self for not doing it a long time ago.

Chicane
08-29-2003, 07:51 PM
Might be doing that stuff this weekend then. :)

- Rob

FearWhat
08-29-2003, 08:04 PM
I will prob be getting it done Sunday. I will post what the results were as well. I hope it kills that hesitation :cool:

oab_au
08-30-2003, 06:09 PM

Harvey a ferrite bead IS a ferrite bead and that IS the item being crushed. If one or several turns are taken through a ferrite bead the complete component, so formed, constitutes an inductor.

A ferrite bead can have a single wire through it without a turn and still perform a function. From all that has been in print here this would appear to be what is being described. Have you examined the item or can someone else describe its physical make up? If there is a turn through the bead this would be in danger of being broken as it must be of small cross section.

Your stated fact re " slows the rise time of an input signal " is an interesting conjecture to say the least, given the constant being discussed.

But whatever -- the CRUSHED component IS a ferrite bead. No more and no less.

' Ferrite Bead ' is a laymans term for a Toroidal inductor. Passing a wire through it constitutes a turn.
It is an Inductor.

Harvey.;)

edited with thanks to Trevor for pointing out my errors.

Chicane
08-31-2003, 01:31 AM
Passing a wire through it constitutes a turn.

I don't quite see that. Sorry.

- Rob

FearWhat
08-31-2003, 11:18 AM
I am just about to do the MOD, I go into my draw, and Find that all my eletrical tape is gone!! :rolleyes: LOL. Well I will be posting my results in a few hours :D

Trevor
08-31-2003, 03:16 PM
Use masking tape, a medical plaster or whatever. The idea it would appear is to stop the debry falling into the works.

Please advise as exactly as you can the physical make up of the component.

Trevor
08-31-2003, 05:54 PM

' Ferrite Bead ' is a law mans term for a Toroidal inductor. Passing a wire through it constitutes a turn.
It is an Inductor.

Harvey.;)

Harvey you are wrong what ever your confusing use of English is meant to convey.

" law mans " ??? ( layman's ) ???

Even a bush lawyer would not make such a blatant error !!!! The application of precise and accurate text is the basis of his training and trade. Technical knowledge is not required in respect of the correct use of the noun in question. An inductor in an electrical sense is a device which introduces an inductance into an electrical circuit . A ferrite bead does not perform this function and is not an inductor.

It is surely ironic and significant that a prime application of a ferrite bead is to increase the inductance of an inductor i.e. the entirely separate item which is run through it and can often comprise a straight conductor. The entirely separate INDUCTOR passes THROUGH the bead. The exact reason the old fashioned term has been coined to describe it.

Ferrite cores ( and the animal discussed here could very well be one ) are often similar to a bead and it is not too inaccurate to mix the terms. These are used to reduce EMI ( electromagnetic interference ) induced or radiated by an INDUCTOR.

The core of a transformer is a core. A core integral with an inductor, i.e. a conductor wound on it, is a transformer.

A toroid is a toroid. A toroid with a winding on it becomes a TOROIDAL INDUCTOR, usually in the form of a transformer or choke.

By the same token a ferrite core is just that and no more and a ferrite bead IS A FERRITE BEAD and no more and certainly nothing else.

Your continued efforts to justify, rather than accept your errors, is a disservice to members wishing to learn from the technical information presented here and I will continue to remain vigilant in their defence.

oab_au
08-31-2003, 06:56 PM

- Rob

Thats because your still on the Honeymoon.:D

oab_au
08-31-2003, 07:00 PM

Harvey you are wrong what ever your confusing use of English is meant to convey.

" law mans " ??? ( layman's ) ???

Even a bush lawyer would not make such a blatant error !!!! The application of precise and accurate text is the basis of his training and trade. Technical knowledge is not required in respect of the correct use of the noun in question. An inductor in an electrical sense is a device which introduces an inductance into an electrical circuit . A ferrite bead does not perform this function and is not an inductor.

It is surely ironic and significant that a prime application of a ferrite bead is to increase the inductance of an inductor i.e. the entirely separate item which is run through it and can often comprise a straight conductor. The entirely separate INDUCTOR passes THROUGH the bead. The exact reason the old fashioned term has been coined to describe it.

Ferrite cores ( and the animal discussed here could very well be one ) are often similar to a bead and it is not too inaccurate to mix the terms. These are used to reduce EMI ( electromagnetic interference ) induced or radiated by an INDUCTOR.

The core of a transformer is a core. A core integral with an inductor, i.e. a conductor wound on it, is a transformer.

A toroid is a toroid. A toroid with a winding on it becomes a TOROIDAL INDUCTOR, usually in the form of a transformer or choke.

By the same token a ferrite core is just that and no more and a ferrite bead IS A FERRITE BEAD and no more and certainly nothing else.

Your continued efforts to justify, rather than accept your errors, is a disservice to members wishing to learn from the technical information presented here and I will continue to remain vigilant in their defence.

Gee I am glad that I have you to correct my English. Don't know what I would do with out you.:(

Harvey.:(

Trevor
08-31-2003, 07:16 PM
Your sarcasm does not negate the fact that your statement of fact is wrong. This IS the essence of my post.

P.S. I now notice that you have promptly corrected your post and the " law man " as been obliterated by the " layman " . Honestly ! ?

Trevor
08-31-2003, 09:12 PM

- Rob

Rob you deserve the respect of a proper reply to your genuine query.

When a conductor is passed through an item which senses inductance the in and out ends do not have to be brought physically together to form to a turn as such. The effective portion of what would have been a true turn, had a second been made, through say a toroid or a ferrite bead, is in place and passes current. The turn or loop does not have to physically complete as long as one electrical path is present within and through the device.

Not an easy one to put into words. Your query shows that as usual you are thinking.

Regards, Trevor.

FearWhat
08-31-2003, 09:52 PM
Well I did is a while ago hhehe. but just finished taking car out :D The results, YEAHH!!! no Hesitation :cool: :D

Well thanks for all this info and the how to as well.

talk to you all later.

NikFu S.
08-31-2003, 10:06 PM
im taking mine out now. what a pain in the ass. definitely not good for my back. took half an hour to get the nuts out. one of them fell in my eye. 'x_o
lets see how long it takes to actually get the ecu out.

NikFu S.
08-31-2003, 10:43 PM
ah finally. got it open. looks like its already been done. that sux. explains why i dont get that laggy accelleration tho.

Trevor
08-31-2003, 11:38 PM
Bugger, once again we do not get an accurate description of THAT WHICH IS CRUSHED ! But no ones fault to be sure. :confused:

P.S. Can you indicate, using your excellent photo, the remains of what has been crushed and describe what you found. ?

Motorsport-SVX
08-31-2003, 11:53 PM
on my 92
06-91 to be exact.......
D1 ECU tag
and this is how mine looked when I opened it up....

I just leave that noise surpressor Black bead
alone.....
right.....?

NikFu S.
09-01-2003, 12:33 AM
ok, heres my understanding of how things should be done.

if you have the chip in the bottom right corner, leave the bead and cut the tan resistor if you have one.

if you dont have the chip, crush the black thingy while leaving the wire its on intact, and leave the tan resistor alone.

Motorsport-SVX
09-01-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by NikFu S.
ok, heres my understanding of how things should be done.

if you have the chip in the bottom right corner, leave the bead and cut the tan resistor if you have one.

if you dont have the chip, crush the black thingy while leaving the wire its on intact, and leave the tan resistor alone.

I have the Chip and the black bead, no tan thing
Darn, I wanted to crush something !!!:mad:

Or am I wrong and suppose to crush the black bead?

Maybe Ill check the other car..... :)

NikFu S.
09-01-2003, 12:50 AM
if you want you can crush the supressor (black bead). it wont hurt anything, but it might not change anything for the better. what year is the vehicle?
if its a 92 or 93 you can remove the chip and crush the bead, but youll need my tools to remove the rom.
unless ofcourse you have your own.

edit: nevermind if it doesnt have the resistor its obviously 94 and above.
-_-'

Motorsport-SVX
09-01-2003, 01:00 AM
if you want you can crush the supressor (black bead). it wont hurt anything, but it might not change anything for the better. what year is the vehicle?
if its a 92 or 93 you can remove the chip and crush the bead, but youll need my tools to remove the rom.
unless ofcourse you have your own.

edit: nevermind if it doesnt have the resistor its obviously 94 and above.
-_-'

No, look back a few post....my cars build date
on the VIN tag is 6/91 and its a 1992 car.
Is the chip soldered in ?

NikFu S.
09-01-2003, 01:04 AM
no it shouldnt be soldered. they are designed to kind of clip in with a lot of pressure.
its weird that you say its a 92. maybe the ecu is from a different model? mines an m7 tag.

Motorsport-SVX
09-01-2003, 01:07 AM
no it shouldnt be soldered. they are designed to kind of clip in with a lot of pressure.
its weird that you say its a 92. maybe the ecu is from a different model?

Im 2nd owner, dont have any record of it being
replaced by the orig owner.
I can pop the chip out and crush the bead...
Are those still related to the hesitation issues ?
This car does seem to more then a car suppose to.

NikFu S.
09-01-2003, 01:34 AM
even though they are very sturdy, you must be absolutely sure in not damaging the rom. the spines can bend easily.
the thing is though, you dont have the resistor. im sure you can make one and install it but im not sure if its worth all this trouble.

in this case i would just crush the bead and leave it at that.

as for the hesitation issue, my X doesnt pickup like id like it to, but i dont consider it hesitation.

and id wait for tomorrow and give everyone a chance to post just incase we are missing something terribly important about removing the chip and what-not.

FearWhat
09-01-2003, 03:44 AM
LOL. it was easier. I took off the dash part 1st. Made it much easier to get to.

Also. now my power light blinks. Prob because i dont have the tool to flush my memory.

Does just dissconnecting the Battery do the same thing?

well ttyl. and goodluck NikFu S.

elninoalex
09-01-2003, 09:01 AM
In all my dealings with Powerchip, I picked up a few things. Removing and reinstalling the ROM chip is a piece of cake. I did it several times with a small flat head screwdriver without incident. Also, there are three different models(according to Powerchip) of the 92 ECMs. Some of them required a ROM chip to be brought up to par with the others. Again, this is what I was told by Powerchip. They sent me three types of chips that were supposed to work, but only the third one worked. I don't know why they just didn't ask for the ECM model # until the third try. Oh well.

Stephen

Motorsport-SVX
09-01-2003, 10:46 AM
even though they are very sturdy, you must be absolutely sure in not damaging the rom. the spines can bend easily.
the thing is though, you dont have the resistor. im sure you can make one and install it but im not sure if its worth all this trouble.

in this case i would just crush the bead and leave it at that.

as for the hesitation issue, my X doesnt pickup like id like it to, but i dont consider it hesitation.

and id wait for tomorrow and give everyone a chance to post just incase we are missing something terribly important about removing the chip and what-not.

Ive taken out and installed chips in customers cars
for a few yrs so that wont be a problem...
Just waiting to hear about whether I should crush black
bead or not..........

Motorsport-SVX
09-01-2003, 01:36 PM
Should be a new series on FOX...
anyway, ..with ECUs like mine....
part 1
the ECU......

Motorsport-SVX
09-01-2003, 01:38 PM
well, heres the tools I used....
the Ratchet wrench shown makes life much easier...
Had to move a small bundle of wires outta the way too
by just unclipping the tiewrap
to get to 2 of the nuts better....

Motorsport-SVX
09-01-2003, 01:39 PM
and "now you see it"......

Motorsport-SVX
09-01-2003, 01:40 PM
"now you dont...."
think even David Blaine could pull this off......

Motorsport-SVX
09-01-2003, 01:42 PM
the 2 pcs left over I broke off......

button it all back together
connect battery back up....
Car starts and idles fine.
Going to the gym in a few, guess Ill post
any changes in how it runs later tonite.....
peace.....

immortal_suby
09-01-2003, 03:28 PM
I don't know whether to crush the bead in yours or not Dayle- haven't seen one with the chip installed and the noise suppressor still there.

I'd also be hesitant to go in and cut the tan resistor in one if I discovered there was a chip in there already. The tan resistor should have been cut by the chip installer if it was meant to be.

I guess what I'm saying is be careful ripping into the ecu if you dont have a backup in case the wrong wire gets cut or the wrong black bead gets crushed. I'm a proponent of the crush mod but I'd hate to see someone have to shell out for a new ecu if something goes wrong.

Motorsport-SVX
09-01-2003, 04:01 PM
no blinking lites inside....
and truthfully, any hesitation the car may of
been exhibiting off the line, does seem to be gone....
even with the AC on.
Im leaving the chip in regardless, dont see any reason
to remove it as the cars running fine.

Next project, the pearl 92, with a later build date.

Subafreak
09-01-2003, 04:35 PM
I'd say Dayl did the right thing. Mine had the chip and the noise supressor, with no trace of ever having a tan resistor. I think it most noticable if you have a 5 speed but I'm thinking you can still feel a differnce with the auto. Of course it's also alot easier to get out the ECU if you have already tossed the TCU.

AFBeefcake
09-01-2003, 04:49 PM
Is this mod only for 92 and 93 cars?
I'v got a 94 should I pull the ecu out and look at it or just leave it alone?

Motorsport-SVX
09-01-2003, 05:10 PM
My understanding is its just for 1992 cars....
Subaru engineers probably figured it out
by the time 93 cars came around .....
Pretty sure the TSbs only for the 1992 cars.

Boone
09-01-2003, 05:31 PM
Looks like the '93s are included too.... ;)

http://dcss.dyn.dhs.org/svx_iw/TSB/931004.html

AFBeefcake
09-01-2003, 09:07 PM
so if my ECM has a black dot next to the parts number label i'm set.

my car is a 94 made some time in 1993. bult 9/93 I think.

Sonar
09-03-2003, 03:56 PM
Hi everybody, I'm a new member and I've been following this thread.
Look what I found at http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2352

Under SVX "Trouble Spots"

quote:
"Poor transmission shift: Poor acceleration from a standing start is actually programmed into the computer, and can be overridden by removing a resistor in the ROM (read-only memory) socket and destroying (but not removing) the noise suppressor. (1992-93)"

Chicane
09-03-2003, 04:21 PM
weird. I wonder what resistor they meant?

- Rob

FearWhat
09-03-2003, 04:28 PM
yeah. They must be talking about the ECU mod. :mad: [hehe now reading that makes me think i did pay to much for my car i love getting stiffed lol]

NikFu S.
09-03-2003, 11:02 PM
-------------

Motorsport-SVX
09-28-2003, 10:33 PM
Build date 02/93
says S9 on outside of the box
Open it up to find:
NO CHIP
Black bead still there
Tan bead there
-----------------------------
conclusion: for sure crush black bead
what about the tan one ?

This car has more hesitation then my silver car I did
last month, alot more.

Any other ideas ?
I would of taken pics but my cameras at work
thanks..Dayle

Subafreak
09-29-2003, 05:54 PM
Yes crush the bead but leave the tan resitor alone. You only cut the tan resitor if you have a chip.

Motorsport-SVX
09-29-2003, 07:43 PM
major improvement with the black bead crushed
I cant imagine someone driving the car the last
100K miles like that.....pretty sad the dealer never
took the time to do it for the last owner.

Subafreak
10-01-2003, 06:38 PM
Exactly why I started the thread!;)

Trevor
10-02-2003, 12:41 AM
" Black bead " is not PC.:confused: Ferrite bead, please. :D :)

Chicane
10-02-2003, 12:50 AM
Heh. I'd like to do this this weekend. How long does it take to get to?

- Rob

Phast SVX
10-02-2003, 01:02 AM
rob, lets do it sat morning, i want to do mine as well. Call me 712-1906
phil
I work at 3-9 fri, 2-9 sat, and bears game on sunday so we should it it sat!
phil

Motorsport-SVX
10-02-2003, 01:40 AM
" Black bead " is not PC.:confused: Ferrite bead, please. :D :)

just ask these guys :eek:

Trevor
10-02-2003, 01:44 AM
Bloody good one. The best laugh I have had in ages. :) :) :) :) :)

P.S. The beady eyes are perfect.

P.P.S. Just showed the beady eyes to my wife. We are animal caring people and she was tickled pink. One of my sons once had a cute white rat and he named her "priss". My very large Rhodesian Ridgeback did know what to make of Priss and she used to sorely tax his patience. :D

thundering02
08-31-2004, 02:33 AM
One last thought to crush the bead are you just grabbing a pair of pliars and squishing it parrallel to the wires or the cross wise

Subafreak
08-31-2004, 04:38 AM
Parrallel, less likley to break the wire off.

JLHollowX13
04-05-2008, 08:15 PM
wow, i fell like a HUGE idiot!! and a very lucky one! i took out the ecu and tried breaking the wrong thing!!! luckily it was hard as hell and wouldnt go. i looked at some pictures and now i know what to do, back outside i go even though ive been working on her for the past 5 hours! stupid spark plugs take so much time! at least i got some maintanance done!

i also read on this thread about the ROM having something to do with the hesitation/slow start. has anyone done this and is there a how to? thanks!

siceclipse
09-25-2008, 07:08 PM
is this something ALL 92's should look out for or only the earlier build dates?

I have a build date of 9/91 and i feel hesitation but dont want to go thru the trouble of getting upside down and rummaging thru a rats nest of wires to take out an ECU that cant be modified.

JLHollowX13
09-25-2008, 07:11 PM
im pretty sure yours can be modified sic, mine has a build date in 91 and i was able to crush mine. i think its the later model 92's.

siceclipse
09-29-2008, 01:26 PM
So I pulled my ECU out and long story short the black bead was in there.

car feels a lot smoother now and pull harder than ever.

Sean486
09-29-2008, 03:05 PM
I was just reading up on this yesterday and earlier today. I have decided to give it a try. Was it hard to get the ECU out?

Pure_Insanity8
09-30-2008, 01:15 AM
I'm not sure how hard these guys found it but I thought it was a PITA to get out when I tried it 8 years ago. The worst part about it was my ECU didn't have the bead... so it was a worthless endeavor.

Anyone know if there was an updated ECU that could have been put in? Mine has a build date of 4/91.

siceclipse
09-30-2008, 08:46 AM
i am now led to believe that it was all random for the 91 build dates.

My ECU had the bead and my cars build date was 10/91

Tim
09-30-2008, 08:47 AM
The other thing to consider is that if you are not the original owner, the previous owner may have taken the car to the dealer where it was taken care of earlier. :)

siceclipse
09-30-2008, 08:48 AM
I just reading up on this yesterday and today. I have decided to give it a try. Was it hard to get the ECU out?

No. you just need to take your time and dont get too angry.

you will either need a 10mm shallow socket or a long 10mm wrench.

take the bottom one off and just loosen the top 2

Sean486
09-30-2008, 08:54 AM
No. you just need to take your time and dont get too angry.

you will either need a 10mm shallow socket or a long 10mm wrench.

take the bottom one off and just loosen the top 2

Is it just as tedious to get it back in or is it any easier?

siceclipse
09-30-2008, 09:19 AM
much easier

Sean486
10-11-2008, 07:41 AM
Finally did mine this morning. :D:D:D:D I think I might have made it harder than it needed to be, I ended up removing all three bolts because I didn't understand how that was ever going to lift up, after it was off it made more sense, but all the same I'm very pleased with myself. Hopefully it was worth the trouble.

Crazy_pilot
10-11-2008, 05:49 PM
i am now led to believe that it was all random for the 91 build dates.

My ECU had the bead and my cars build date was 10/91

My car was built 05/92 and had the bead on the ECU.

hawaii-svx
10-24-2008, 09:49 PM
I did mine this afternoon it made a big difference. I had been trying to fix the hesitation for over a year I replaced plugs, fuel filter, air filter, pcv valve, vacuum lines, tested and repositioned the tps, cleaned the throttle body, tested injectors, tested the O2 sensor, pulled all the codes, even replaced the valve cover gaskets (which was a major pain in the a$$). After all that this afternoon at at 2:12 HST I started the car for the first time after crushing some stupid little black bead in the computer an now the car has no more hesitation THANK GOD!!... (sigh)

oldss72
10-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Did mine today, build date of 11/91, and it had the bead, after the mod, it was noticeably more responsive, Thanks,
Joe

Bonestock
02-06-2010, 05:24 PM
To bump an old thread. My 92 SVX LSL is a 6/91 build. It has the ROM chip, no tan resistor and the noise suppressor is absent. The loop is there, just not the black bit.

That sucks since mine has a bit of a hesitation when pulling away from a dead stop. It feels like the ECU pulls timing (quite a bit at that) for s split second. I may have to buy the ECUtune kit anyway in order to run 87oct. No sense in running premium since I drive like a granny anyway. :lol:

CDG
02-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Your hesitation can be more than just the ecu bead crush. I've had significant changes in performance by adjusting the tps to spec, cheching that plugs and wires are still good, and the vehicle has been running the same grade fuel for at least 4 rides in your Svx.

longassname
03-03-2010, 08:29 AM
If you order a stage 1 from the ecutune website and include a note in the paypal transaction asking me to send you the aggressive software instead of the 1v5 I will. That software gets better performance and better fuel economy at the same time. The compression in your car is probably low enough for you to run 87 octane with the the "chip" running it's default tune so you won't have to install a switch to run 87 octane.

On the stage1 aggressive software the switch actually makes it run a tune with even better performance but no improvment in fuel economy.

To bump an old thread. My 92 SVX LSL is a 6/91 build. It has the ROM chip, no tan resistor and the noise suppressor is absent. The loop is there, just not the black bit.

That sucks since mine has a bit of a hesitation when pulling away from a dead stop. It feels like the ECU pulls timing (quite a bit at that) for s split second. I may have to buy the ECUtune kit anyway in order to run 87oct. No sense in running premium since I drive like a granny anyway. :lol:

92 SVX
03-03-2010, 09:01 PM
I have a 92 with build date of 12/91 I pulled the ecu out and looked, no hesitation problems just curious, and the tan resister is there but cut, ie it looks like some one took and sniped it so there is no complete circuit but able to put back together if needed. It has a rom chip installed and the noise suppressor is also gone. Loop still there of course.

teamilluminata
05-07-2011, 02:50 PM
I just did this on my 94 EG33 that is now in a 97 Legacy Outback and it may have made things worse. I thought I had slight hesitation at between 2-3000 rpm when getting on the gas so I went ahead and crushed that thing. Everything was fine initially then I noticed the hesitation again and thought "huh, it didn't fix it. Lets get an ECUTUNE" Later that day it got really bad and now pretty much struggles when I get on the gas though it is still quite driveable. What else could it be?

This is my ECU:

http://www.teamilluminata.com/Racing/Photos/ScoobyEvolution/EG33/IMG_0188.jpg

and this is what I crushed:

http://www.teamilluminata.com/Racing/Photos/ScoobyEvolution/EG33/IMG_0191.jpg

Did I mess something up?

NikFu S.
05-07-2011, 05:11 PM
http://www.teamilluminata.com/Racing/Photos/ScoobyEvolution/EG33/IMG_0191.jpg

Did I mess something up?

I don't see anything out of the ordinary other than those two trace links appear to be insulated (mine aren't).

Make sure you've still got continuity there, if you do, this is probably not the cause of your problem.

1986nate
05-07-2011, 07:59 PM
ECU bead crush was for early 92 SVXi only... You're gonna need a replacement or get a new resister for the one you just crushed.

Stevebsy
05-07-2011, 10:48 PM
I have a 93 and crushed the one in my ECU. It is possible he has an older ECU.

The how-to is here:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54133
and
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54161

Was the thing you crushed black? I did mine nearly 10 years ago, but recall that the one to crush was black, and you leave the internal wire, just crush the outside.

Some more searching on the subject should find more info.

teamilluminata
05-08-2011, 06:30 AM
I did wonder about that but only slightly. I didn't see the black dot next to the part number and to be honest I can't swear that my ECU is the same year as my engine. I got them from the same guy but that doesn't mean they came from the same car.

I believe mine was black. It did seem a little smaller than ones I'd seen on the crush threads.

I think the hesitation was initially improved but that could have been wishful thinking. I noticed it again a few dozen miles later and then a few dozen more it got worse then worse agian, quite quickly. It seems to have moderated now but is worse than the initial hesitation I was trying to cure.

Changed the fuel filter yesterday - no change.

NikFu S.
05-08-2011, 01:14 PM
I'm not certain whether doing this mod on 94+ models should have any negative effects. I don't remember this being expressly outlined by anyone.
It's worth investigating.

Anyone with a spare ECU want to give it a shot?

Maybe we can just crack a few open to see if anyone has the same design with the insulated wires and clean-looking resistor.

oab_au
05-09-2011, 01:55 AM
I'm not certain whether doing this mod on 94+ models should have any negative effects. I don't remember this being expressly outlined by anyone.
It's worth investigating.

Anyone with a spare ECU want to give it a shot?

Maybe we can just crack a few open to see if anyone has the same design with the insulated wires and clean-looking resistor.

The black ones are a ferrite tube around the wire. It acts as an inductor that delays a signal.
They didn't want you's blokes, driven too fast.:D

Harvey.

NikFu S.
05-09-2011, 06:44 AM
The black ones are a ferrite tube around the wire. It acts as an inductor that delays a signal.
They didn't want you's blokes, driven too fast.:D

Harvey.

Righty, but this guy is having problems after doing that mod, I think there is no sense in assuming it's the cause of his new problem, however coincidental.

teamilluminata
05-09-2011, 06:49 AM
Righty, but this guy is having problems after doing that mod, I think there is no sense in assuming it's the cause of his new problem, however coincidental.

I feel the same way but wanted to rule out the crush mod as the culprit. I'm fairly sure there was a delay between doing this mod and the current issue but can't be certain.

So what could be causing my current accelleration problems and where is a good forum to pose the question, Technical Q & A?

Tapani
07-17-2011, 08:17 AM
What a fantastic difference this little effort made !

After stumbling on this thread I was rather sceptical, but since it is so easy to do I decided to give it a go.

The car transformed totally. Strange things happen. Still in awe.

Tapani

claret turbo 1992

nimrod8560
10-29-2011, 11:26 AM
So just to be clear you crush the ferrite black "bead" and nothing else?

Tapani
10-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Yes, that's correct.

Tapani

THE NEW GUY
10-29-2011, 11:49 PM
What a fantastic difference this little effort made !

After stumbling on this thread I was rather sceptical, but since it is so easy to do I decided to give it a go.

The car transformed totally. Strange things happen. Still in awe.

Tapani

claret turbo 1992

yours have a turbo? what year is your car? It does not make any sense to me to delay a signal using a ferrite bridge on a system like this. What is causing this hesitation exactly: low amount of gasoline injection, leak on the vacuum during this 2-3 secs by the action of any solenoid, firing advance? Is the learning funtion affecting perfonmance wrongly? anybody with knowledge on electronic circuits to explain why did subaru used a ferrite bridge to delay a signal instead of programing it on the chip?
This hesitation just appears on my svx 94 when the ambient temp began to go down... may be this afect the signal from the MAF...