PDA

View Full Version : EastCoast Blackout??

JLittell
08-14-2003, 05:17 PM
Someone hogging the power out there in the East coast?? Quick the beer is gonna go bad!!

SVX26517
08-14-2003, 06:05 PM
sorry, my air conditioner broke so i just left my freezer door open :p

Kerven Subaru
08-14-2003, 06:14 PM
We're OK here at Kerven, but I live a little north of here and I heard the power is off at my house. :(

Mike

Trevor
08-15-2003, 01:05 AM
It is difficult to comprehend that this could occur where there should be a properly designed power distribution network. No single event, or several associated events, should cause such a mammoth problem. It should be realised that as a result North America must be rated as extemely vulnerable and near indifensible against serious attack. Electrical engineers in this part of the planet are dumb founded.

LarryIII
08-15-2003, 03:58 AM
After living through the blackout in 1965 we were told that safeguards were installed and it couldn't happen again.....yeah, right.

or

The north east power grid obviously has a transmission problem.
Maybe they should consult us. :D :D :D

My sister-in-law was stuck in a train car on the Long Island Railroad in Jamaica, Queens, NY for about 4.5 hours. She finally got to her daughter's house in Hicksville LI about 11:00 PM last night. She's OK. She lived through the one in 1965 and now this.

mattski
08-15-2003, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by Trevor
Electrical engineers in this part of the planet are dumb founded.

The EEs in this part of the planet must just be plain dumb.:D

marlettpat
08-15-2003, 07:13 AM
hey no problems here, i really thought i wouldnt have any, but yey!

GreenMarine
08-15-2003, 07:39 AM
That was pretty interesting, I go into the chow hall to get dinner after I got off work and I see that most of the NorthEast is without power... Strange...

ww111
08-15-2003, 07:51 AM
http://www.fanta.dk/showmovie.asp?mid=2A3725F0-15FD-4E31-8E7E-A870FD1F6A73

I really don't think we'll ever know the real reason it happened... I mean are we really going to tell "brand X" how to shut down the entire NE by leaving the fridge door open in Ontario, or Ohio???

Still, there's no profit in upgrading the grid. It'll be out of sight, out of mind by late next week. Funny how quick the administration jumped on the bandwagon. I wonder if Haliburton will get the job of building the new grid?

Collins
92 Pearlie
Conspiracy?

Power was off here, but not across the street. Odd.

JLittell
08-15-2003, 08:22 AM
3 Words about all of this: Wake-Up Call!!;)

RSVX
08-15-2003, 09:14 AM
virus, or worm related, maybe?

Bobb
08-15-2003, 09:59 AM
Hi Power freaks, Left my mother-in-laws just after four PM. She did not have power. Went through several traffic lights without incedent,they were not working. Drove 30 miles on the e-way . Got off , and the first traffic light we come to is also not working. I start humming the theme song from the twilight zone. Well we got power back this morning a little after eight AM. The powers are recommending that you not run high wattage appliances like AC. how long I don't know, but when I have to start wringing out my socks the AC is coming on. I hope all of the estimated 50 million people without power come through this without any problems other than a little discomfort. Take care, BOBB

petesvx2
08-15-2003, 10:49 AM
I live in torrington ct but work the next town over, 90% of CT lost power and surprisingly where i work did not, and thats right in the middle of NE. confusing, oh yeah and im a telemarketer so if i come across an owner of an svx expect a long conversation. i call about car repair orders.:cool:

mattski
08-15-2003, 11:45 AM
Yesterday afternoon, my 16 year old son and 4 of his friends were on his way to NYC for a concert. My wife got through to his cell phone but they were allegedly in the city already, and decided to go forth with their plans instead of trying to get home. How they planned to enjoy the music with no electricity escapes me.

For hours I tried to reach them to tell them to go to one of the boy's aunt's appartment and spend the night, instead of trying to get out of the city. When I did get through, I thankfully found out that they were actually across the river still in Hoboken NJ because their bus was turned around at the Lincoln tunnel. Two of them were actually still trying to figure out how to get into NYC, which offers clues how these "yout's" brains operate.

I told them to get their a**es on the first bus home. Thankfully they complied after only mild protests.

Matt

Subafreak
08-15-2003, 05:34 PM
Anyone remember the blackout of 1776? I'm guessing not.

Noir
08-15-2003, 10:26 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Trevor
Electrical engineers in this part of the planet are dumb founded.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The EEs in this part of the planet must just be plain dumb.

yeah, we in the south are dumbfounded as well. not too long after the blackout we had a rep from georgia power come on tv and tell us that this would never happen in georgia. we are smarter than the yanks and have full control over the mules that are turning the wood turbines. when we need more power we whip them a little more. see we hicks have it all undercontrol down in the dirty south. :D