PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying a toy :)

marlettpat
08-14-2003, 07:36 AM
well, my dad has his toy and now im looking at one. 88 Tbird Turbo. I am a big tbird fan, and i love these! Its in great condition, but it has a few miles... I would like this so i can keep the svx off the road some and get some things done to her. The car is on ebay, but if the bids stay low i might take my chance. It looks really good. If the bid stays low its either this car or new rims for the svx......im starting to think this car. Dayle, if your reading what do you think. I saw you have an SVO mustang....i think. They are basically the same car so i would like your input.
PAT

wawazat??
08-14-2003, 02:09 PM
I've owned an SVO and an XR4Ti (which used the same 2.3 turbo (non-intercooled) engine) and my father has owned a couple of them. My college roomate owned an '88 Turbo-Bird with a 5 speed. All were very impressive performers even with their dated engines (two valve per cylinder design in the late '80's - WTF Ford???)

Lots of potential for mods if you're willing to deal the a platform that defines turbo-lag. Kep the revs up and they move. My college roommate and I used to go out and tease muscle car guys and 5.0 and 5.7 IROC mulletheads and blow them away from a standing start to 50 mph or so and shut down. Had a blast!

Todd

Subafreak
08-15-2003, 05:26 PM
If I remember Dayle has a 5.0 with an SVO nose, but he has brobly owned a 2.3T before, why not he seams to haved owned everything else.

Personally I would avoid it like the plauge, but I don't really care for the 2.3 T.

CigarJohnny
08-15-2003, 05:33 PM
I'm with Subafreak on this. It sounds to me like your gonna just get another money pit as bad or worse than any SVX. I'd keep perfecting the SVX were I you.

newsvx
08-15-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by marlettpat
well, my dad has his toy and now im looking at one. 88 Tbird Turbo. I am a big tbird fan, and i love these! Its in great condition, but it has a few miles... I would like this so i can keep the svx off the road some and get some things done to her. The car is on ebay, but if the bids stay low i might take my chance. It looks really good. If the bid stays low its either this car or new rims for the svx......im starting to think this car. Dayle, if your reading what do you think. I saw you have an SVO mustang....i think. They are basically the same car so i would like your input.
PAT

Hey, Pat,
I have no personal experience with the turbo t-Bird, but a friend had one, and he indicated they were a money pit. Anything needed for this car apparently had a significant premium (cost-wise) put on it because it was the turbo T-Bird. I would bet there are lots of "interchangeable" parts from other cars, like the Mustangs and other "BIRDS". But I would be concerned about high miles on it......

That said, I do understand that they ran very well.......

Harry

marlettpat
08-15-2003, 10:39 PM
hmmm, if it goes over a grand im not even gonna think about buying it. i still like em, but i do know they have problems. i will probably end up just getting rims for the svx. my svx will be a modded machine!!! MUHAHAHA....not really.....