PDA

View Full Version : Auto-X

marlettpat
08-10-2003, 05:53 PM
oh my gosh, i love it! The crab meet got me addicted. I need more. I was told i was pretty good, but i felt i wasnt consistant. BUT oh well, its fun none the less. I NEED MORE!! but the best thing about it, my dad said on the way home im gonna have to get some street tires and rims! :D

LarryIII
08-10-2003, 06:13 PM
Check out the SCCA web site local to you.

Phast SVX
08-10-2003, 06:52 PM
im with ya, its a great rush. Consistancy comes after a few events, when all your worries and "oh god im next!" goes away(well to the point where you can focus and hanker down, you never loose the rush!)
:)
phil

mikecg
08-10-2003, 07:21 PM
Im in. got ta save money for tires and rims too.(not to mention a back up tranny just in case) Now the only thing is I wanted a nice set of 17in rims for everyday use. Should I get them and use them for race, or put street tires on them for everyday and use my stock rims for race day?? Ohhh the hard decisions always give me a headache. This must be the hardest one ever. Even hard than geting married(and I made the wrong one there).

marlettpat
08-10-2003, 07:24 PM
my dad said to use the stock wheels and what tires i have on now and get some street ones. definitly goin 17's.im gonna take his word for it, but for now its back to looking for auto-x's and wheels.....

mikecg
08-10-2003, 07:36 PM
Ya I think Im gonna do the same nd maybe down the road see if I can snag some cheapy rims. I deffiently think 17in is the way to go. SVXGIRL182 just got some nice 18's, but I think they look a little too big. Plus I might do some suspention work in the distat future and I think the 18's might have problems then. Her SVX just looks like it sitting to high for my taste. Dont get me wrong its a sweet car. I just think it would be even better looking with a little less ground clearance. 17's with the right tire size should keep the overall diameter close to what the stock is. The closer you keep it the less it messes up the accuracy of the speed-o-meter. I wouldnt mind get those same rims in a smaller size. Wonder if I could go a little wider and still not have any problems when I do the suspension??

Ron Mummert
08-10-2003, 08:57 PM
You guys would have loved Sunday's Mercedes Club Auto-X about 25 miles south of the Crab Meet. Keep in mind that raw horsepower & rim size ain't necessarily the winner. Driving skills & knowing your car's capabilities are more important. The fastest time of the day was by a Mercedes CLK320 AMG coupe with 349 HP. He turned a screaming 42 something second lap. Guess what Harry's SVX did?
45 + seconds. How about a 110 HP Suby Impreza sedan driven by Rufus?
48 seconds. A couple of WRXes did 44-48 seconds.
It's the driver!
Now go practice. No - not on the interstate either!

Ron (white knuckles on the Wal-Mart parking lot).

mikecg
08-10-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
You guys would have loved Sunday's Mercedes Club Auto-X about 25 miles south of the Crab Meet. Keep in mind that raw horsepower & rim size ain't necessarily the winner. Driving skills & knowing your car's capabilities are more important. The fastest time of the day was by a Mercedes CLK320 AMG coupe with 349 HP. He turned a screaming 42 something second lap. Guess what Harry's SVX did?
45 + seconds. How about a 110 HP Suby Impreza sedan driven by Rufus?
48 seconds. A couple of WRXes did 44-48 seconds.
It's the driver!
Now go practice. No - not on the interstate either!

Ron (white knuckles on the Wal-Mart parking lot).

45 SEC!! Guess it was either shorter, or a straighter set-up to allow more speed. Noone got below 46 in SVX at our meet.

mikecg
08-10-2003, 09:04 PM
We need a Dover DE meet at Dover Downs. 30Lap race anyone??

Ron Mummert
08-10-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by mikecg

45 SEC!! Guess it was either shorter, or a straighter set-up to allow more speed. Noone got below 46 in SVX at our meet.

Every Auto-X set-up is, or can be different. This one was at least twice as long, but allowed for much higher speeds. The size of the parking lot will dictate the course.

Ron.