PDA

View Full Version : Went to the Strip in my friend's modded WRX Wagon...

GreenMarine
08-09-2003, 02:25 PM
Good god!!! I drove my frst WRX in america yesterday night.... It was almost insane!!! We went to the drag strip in Savanah, GA lastnight... It was a blast!!! I saw a Brand New WRX STi run against a mustang Cobra.... Cobra beat it though... think it was blown too (supercharger)... Anyway the real fun happened when this guy in a camaro challenged my friend Aaron (owns the WRX) to a race... Aaron said he'd even put 3 of his friends in the car and still beat him... So Aaron, Myself, and two other guys got in the WRX Wagon... Anyway, everyone was laughing at us because we had four people in this little turbo wagon and were racing a V-8 Camaro... But Aaron supprised them all when he got all 4 tires to light up on the start!!! Dumping the clutch at 6,000rpm's is not really the best thing to do in a WRX, but it held up, and we beat the Camaro!!! Next he let me drive it once... This thing is amazing!!! He has a Turbo XS Stage 4 turbo kit on it a massive front mounted intercooler, BOV, Electronic boost controller and some other really nice things.... Unbelieveably fast!!!! 2nd gear when boost came on full My eyes felt like they were pushed into the back of my head or something... Well I ran a 8.5 in the 1/8th.... That was all the track is... Just an 1/8th of a mile... That's alright though... RT was a really sucky 1.13sec But that's alright cause it was the first WRX that I had driven in the US... And it was one hell of a blast.... If I wasn't going back to Australia I think that I would go buy a 2004 WRX Wagon and start modding it!!!!!!

SHISVX
08-10-2003, 08:31 AM
okay....that is some place i would like to go...when are you headed up there next? i got a mustang cobra i can steal for a run or two ;)

Kelli

Subafreak
08-10-2003, 11:28 AM
Thats cool, but I think even the STI could use a little more boost against a new Cobra. It's funny how a new Cobra can walk on the old Cobra R thoe. Damn Marine your all over the place, where the hell are you most of the time anyway? You gota get that SVX to a real strip to see what that 5speed did for ya.

GreenMarine
08-11-2003, 05:55 AM
Yea, I know... I'm going to go pick it up from storage this coming weekend... I got my plated and got the insurance switched over and all that good stuff... Just waiting to get up there and pick it up.... Hey SubaFreak, are ya coming to the Smokies Meet in Oakridge, TN??? or the Dragon meet as well???? I'm going to both.... Lets meet up again... I feel the need for two SVX's to go down the hi-way at a stupid speed :D:D:):cool:

Subafreak
08-11-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
Yea, I know... I'm going to go pick it up from storage this coming weekend... I got my plated and got the insurance switched over and all that good stuff... Just waiting to get up there and pick it up.... Hey SubaFreak, are ya coming to the Smokies Meet in Oakridge, TN??? or the Dragon meet as well???? I'm going to both.... Lets meet up again... I feel the need for two SVX's to go down the hi-way at a stupid speed :D:D:):cool:

Tenn. now? You do know I live in RI right? I don't know I'm still thinking about the Dragon, (someone should put it up in the meets forum), but I'm not sure yet. If not there will always be Reading. To bad there wasn't a strip nearby, I'd like some hard numbers to prove how bad I woop your ass this time.

GreenMarine
08-13-2003, 08:18 AM
Well this time I am gonna have my SVX, and I am up for a little competition... Last time I had that little Miata... Oh yea, "MissMarine" (Shannon) wrecked the Miata... Stupid B**ch!!! She ran off the road when she was trying to learn how to double clutch and hit a phone terminal... Ya know those little grey things that stick out of the ground, yea that's what she hit... Serves her right for taking her mom's boyfriends car without permission... Anyway, yea your SVX did kick THE MIATA's Ass, not mine though... I was doing everything in my power to make that little 4 banger keep up with ya... What is the final drive on your SVX??? mine is 3.90... If you have the 4.11 then I might have a bit of trouble keeping up with ya... Might have to resort to "Ricer Modding" to keep up with ya... I saw a really big sticker that must add about 15hp to my car... I bet if I stuck that on then I'd be gone!!! :p :D Anyway, we'll have to see how the dragon turns out this year!!!

Subafreak
08-13-2003, 06:23 PM
Hmm. You guys seemed to be getting along at Reading I guess that all went to hell, to bad, my wife liked her. Why the hell was she trying to learn how to double clutch? Anyway I got the 3.90s too so unless you got some good power mods (big stickers don't count) or one of our cars runs like crap it would be a pretty close race. I know I can get mine up to at least 145mph thoe.

alacrity024
08-16-2003, 08:15 PM
hey i'm down for some highway cruising at stoopid speeds :D fortunately i can STOP now, too :D

-adam

Subafreak
08-17-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by alacrity024
hey i'm down for some highway cruising at stoopid speeds :D fortunately i can STOP now, too :D

-adam

I thought 80mph over grovved pavment was a pretty stupid speed, in the RX anyway.

GreenMarine
08-19-2003, 07:21 AM
Man, she was just being to much for me to handle... I can't stand chicks that think they're guys... Anyway, I don't know why she was trying to Double Clutch, almost pointless unless you are racing and stuff... Yea, well I don't think that I'll be doing that little speeding thing like we were gonna do... I just got my first speeding ticket last weekend... That really sucked... 85 in a 70... Good thing he didn't catch me when I was doing 120 about 5 minutes prior... Anyway, my court date is Oct 13th... But the good news is that the Judge is a General in the Marines :):) One of my friends got a stupid speeding tickett and he reduced it to almost nothing and told him to slow down... Mine is alot less than his... All I have to do is go in there and look good in my uniform, give him a little warm and fuzzy about the marines again and I should be home free... :):D:cool:

Subafreak
08-20-2003, 05:57 PM
70mph speed limit? Never heard of one. Damn you southerners and your high speed limits.

I was thinking the same thing about Reading, maybe just few accel tests to 100mph, thats a little more sain.

Good luck in court. Oct 13? Ha Ha Ha.

GreenMarine
08-21-2003, 02:53 AM
Haha, found a way to beat the system... The Judge is a retired Major General (USMC)... He likes to keep his Marines clean... So he said that if I mail the fine in with a letter stating what I did wrong and asking for it to be reduced then he will reduce it to 4 over and my insurance company will never find out!!! It is good to ba a Marine sometimes;) :D :cool: Just playing... But yea, it is kinda cool that I get out easy like that... Still sets me back $130 though... Oh, well I won't be speeding for a while...

Subafreak
08-21-2003, 08:16 PM
I hear that, kinda like it's good to have my dad working at State Police headquarters. Got me out of a 85 in a 35 say good by to your license ticket.

alacrity024
08-22-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Subafreak
70mph speed limit? Never heard of one. Damn you southerners and your high speed limits.

we've ben enjoying SEVENTY-FIVE MPH SPEED LIMITS!!!!!

oh do i long for the meaty torque of my flat-six on those long stretches of highay...... they tease me, the sons of *****es tease me..

-adam

Subafreak
08-23-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by alacrity024

we've ben enjoying SEVENTY-FIVE MPH SPEED LIMITS!!!!!

oh do i long for the meaty torque of my flat-six on those long stretches of highay...... they tease me, the sons of *****es tease me..

-adam

Ha, Ha, definitly a teaser when all you got is a 2.2L Legacy.

GreenMarine
08-11-2004, 01:08 PM
Gotta revive this thread :):)

Aaron, the guy that owned the WRX (first post) wrecked his WRX and is getting a Jeep now... :rolleyes:

Chiketkd
08-11-2004, 01:59 PM
Ouch! Sorry to hear that Chris... Your friend had one sweet and quick WRX wgaon!!!! :)

-Chike

GreenMarine
08-11-2004, 02:05 PM
It was a blast to drive too :):)

Pics are in my locker in the "ESX Drag WRX / NOPI 2003" folder :):)

Chiketkd
08-11-2004, 02:08 PM
Nice pics! An 8.5 sec 1/8th translates to a low 13 sec 1/4 mile. You're friend Aaron had one nice wagon...

-Chike

GreenMarine
08-11-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Chiketkd
Nice pics! An 8.5 sec 1/8th translates to a low 13 sec 1/4 mile. You're friend Aaron had one nice wagon...

-Chike

Don't forget that was with my terrible RT of 1.13 sec. :eek: :eek:

I know that was bad, but it was my first left hand drive WRX that I'd ever driven, and also the first time that I had gone to the strip... :p :p

Chiketkd
08-11-2004, 02:25 PM
The reaction time has no effect on your final time, as the clock isn't started until the car crosses the starting line.

Shifting for the first time in a left-hand drive car would be kinda weird. I grew up in Barbados and learned to drive on right-hand drive cars. It did feel kinda weird at first when making the switch...

-Chike

P.S. You're right though. With a good seasoned driver, Aaron's car could have gone much faster. A 12 sec pass wouldn't be out of the question...
Don't forget that was with my terrible RT of 1.13 sec. :eek: :eek:

I know that was bad, but it was my first left hand drive WRX that I'd ever driven, and also the first time that I had gone to the strip... :p :p

benebob
08-11-2004, 05:17 PM

Tenn. now? You do know I live in RI right? I don't know I'm still thinking about the Dragon, (someone should put it up in the meets forum), but I'm not sure yet. If not there will always be Reading. To bad there wasn't a strip nearby, I'd like some hard numbers to prove how bad I woop your ass this time.

There's a strip about 10 minutes from the hotel at Reading.

Earthworm
08-11-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Chiketkd
The reaction time has no effect on your final time, as the clock isn't started until the car crosses the starting line.Yes that's right.

In an official race though if you ran 13.5 ET with a 1.13 RT that's like running a 14.13 ET with a perfect reaction time. Not so good for bracket racing.

Subafreak
08-11-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by benebob

There's a strip about 10 minutes from the hotel at Reading.

Is that an idea for Reading VII then?:D

Chiketkd
08-11-2004, 06:43 PM
If you guys get a bunch of daily driver SVX's out to the drag strip for a day of fun, then the 'meet monster' will rear it's ugly head by the end of the day! ;)

If I can make it next year, you can count me in! :D

-Chike
Is that an idea for Reading VII then?:D

Shadow248
08-11-2004, 09:40 PM
Good god!!! I drove my frst WRX in america yesterday night.... It was almost insane!!! We went to the drag strip in Savanah, GA lastnight... It was a blast!!! I saw a Brand New WRX STi run against a mustang Cobra.... Cobra beat it though... think it was blown too (supercharger)... Anyway the real fun happened when this guy in a camaro challenged my friend Aaron (owns the WRX) to a race... Aaron said he'd even put 3 of his friends in the car and still beat him... So Aaron, Myself, and two other guys got in the WRX Wagon... Anyway, everyone was laughing at us because we had four people in this little turbo wagon and were racing a V-8 Camaro... But Aaron supprised them all when he got all 4 tires to light up on the start!!! Dumping the clutch at 6,000rpm's is not really the best thing to do in a WRX, but it held up, and we beat the Camaro!!! Next he let me drive it once... This thing is amazing!!! He has a Turbo XS Stage 4 turbo kit on it a massive front mounted intercooler, BOV, Electronic boost controller and some other really nice things.... Unbelieveably fast!!!! 2nd gear when boost came on full My eyes felt like they were pushed into the back of my head or something... Well I ran a 8.5 in the 1/8th.... That was all the track is... Just an 1/8th of a mile... That's alright though... RT was a really sucky 1.13sec But that's alright cause it was the first WRX that I had driven in the US... And it was one hell of a blast.... If I wasn't going back to Australia I think that I would go buy a 2004 WRX Wagon and start modding it!!!!!!

Why put people in the car? You should always race evenly. If you don't, there will always be excuses.

Are you sure that was a V8 Camaro? Was it in one piece? If that was a 98 or newer V8 then your friend got VERY lucky to run an 8.5 1/8th and beat the Camaro. Some of the worst f-body drivers I know of can pull better than 8.5 in the 1/8th. Even an average driver would have easily been able to pull 8.4 or better. These are cars that run 13.0-13.2 ETs and can trap 110 or better bone stock. So he definetly got lucky, or was just racing an older car. Hope he won some money or something, cause that won't happen often.

Oh and where is this that they allow passengers in cars on the strip? I don't believe i've ever seen that before.

GreenMarine
08-12-2004, 07:09 AM
We put people in the car to proove a point... Because when we first showed up at the track (Remember, this is a year ago) everyone was laughing at the "little red wagon"... :D:D:D Some Camaro (musthave been a 2002 or something, had those newer looking lights) was talking all sorts of $hit to Aaron and me. If you know me, I don't back down from an argument about "who knows more about Subaru's". So finally I told Aaron to race him. Aaron told me and two other people to get in the car too. The camaro was probably stock, except for a pretty good sounding exhaust.

Yea the strip in Savannah, GA, allows passengers. But all the windows have to be up and the lights have to be on.

We had the Camaro from the very start. As soon as the lights went the AWD really launched the car, imediatly jumping out infront of the camaro. We thought the Camaro was gonna close in on us but after 1st gear, it was all over. That little wagon was absolutly insane!!! 2nd Gear pulls SO STRONG!!! The first time I rode in it my breath was literally taken away!! By the end of the 1/8th we were about a car leingth ahead of the Camaro... We got it all on video too :):) I just have to find out who has the Video now :rolleyes:

Shadow248
08-12-2004, 12:05 PM
Remember, the more they talk, the less they know. A past member of this site showed us all that in great detail. Alot of F-body drivers are assholes. Then again, alot of drivers are assholes. If this guy was willing to race a WRX WAGON, with 4 people in it, with a V8 Camaro, then he obviously doesn't know what he's doing. I don't think any of the f-body owners I know would have even given a second look to a WRX wagon with one person in it, let alone four. You would have really had to work to convince a good driver to race you. Which I guess is good news, cause that means most of the guys willing to race you will almost definetly lose.

Friendly warning from a 4th gen F-body owner - your friend got lucky that he came across a bad driver. Use caution in the future. Even a Z28 will easily pull 13.2 in the 1/4 in stock form with a solid driver. With a 110mph trap speed, that's an 8.3 or less 1/8th.

I still can't believe any dragstrip out there would allow passengers in the car. That's insane.

GreenMarine
08-13-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Shadow248
I still can't believe any dragstrip out there would allow passengers in the car. That's insane.

:D:D:D Come on down to Savannah, GA.... We roll getto down here :):) :p

Subafreak
08-13-2004, 07:02 PM
You can have passengers at NewEngland dragway:confused: But if you get in the 12,s you both have to where helmets:D

GreenMarine
08-13-2004, 09:03 PM
What about all 4 of us??? do people in the back seat have to wear them too??? :D::D:D:D