PDA

View Full Version : Come One! Come All! Everyone!

Chicane
08-07-2003, 05:48 PM
Alright, this is hands down the coolest thing EVER. Does your suspension make any noise? At all? Did you try tightening everything??? Did you try doing the brakes? Did some of it help, but there's that one thing that won't go away?

1. Get can of silicone lubricant

2. Crawl undercar.

3. Spray swaybar bushings with it.

HOLY ******************!!!!!!!!!

ITS AMAZING! Whoever suggested this, you are a god.

WOW!

I just changed my transmission fluid, filter (yech) and sprayed those, and I still have to flush my coolant, and install speakers! Yippee!

Heh

- Rob

Pure_Insanity8
08-07-2003, 05:58 PM
Mine is dead silent... since it never moves.:D I'll try that when she is actually up and running, though.:cool:

JLittell
08-07-2003, 08:18 PM
Won't silicone spray attract dirt and grime though??

MNYPNNY
08-07-2003, 08:43 PM
My bushings make terrible squeaking noises... I'm ashamed to go anywhere with bumps..... someone wish to volunteer to fix it for me?

~~Michelle

Chicane
08-07-2003, 09:35 PM
Just spend 3 bucks. You don't even need to jack the car up. I'm amazed at how much quieter it is.

- Rob

DavieGravy
08-07-2003, 11:46 PM
Could somebody tell me what the swaybar bushings look like? My car sounds like it's about to friggin fall apart!

Chicane
08-08-2003, 02:35 PM
Look at the lower control arm... the bottom part of the suspension that the hub is attached to. Well, on that control arm, there is a metal pipe that is attached to it, that goes upward, then through the middle of hte car to the other side. Spray the bushings that 'pipe' goes through.

- Rob

DavieGravy
08-08-2003, 03:29 PM
Thanks. I'll post back my results.

Landshark
08-08-2003, 03:29 PM
i could be wrong, but i thought spraying silicone under your car can kill your O2 sensors.

Chicane
08-08-2003, 07:34 PM
Maybe if you sprayed it on them, or in your exhaust system somehow. BUt spraying it on the swaybar bushings?! I don't see how anything is going to get to the o2 sensors. You could also use white lithium grease, but then it would attract dirt and stuff, so I'd rather use silicon, or something like Tri Flow.

- Rob

Landshark
08-08-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Chicane
Maybe if you sprayed it on them, or in your exhaust system somehow. BUt spraying it on the swaybar bushings?! I don't see how anything is going to get to the o2 sensors. You could also use white lithium grease, but then it would attract dirt and stuff, so I'd rather use silicon, or something like Tri Flow.

- Rob

i dunno - O2 sensors ain't cheap. to be safe i wouldn't be spraying silicone anywhere under the car, but YSMV (Your Sensors May Vary.)

Chicane
08-08-2003, 07:44 PM
You do realize that the sensors are located on the exhaust system right? And that the swaybar bushing is in the wheel well?And that the backs of those sensors are basically exposed to the elements....

They'll be fine. You could give a girl breast implants in the wheel well and the sensors won't care. It's not like they're silicon sensative through osmosis or anything.

Sensor: "Oh crap! I sense a presence of silicon! I'm scared! I'm going to quit working so I'll get replaced!"

Heh. Come on.

- Rob

Subafreak
08-08-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Chicane
[Sensor: "Oh crap! I sense a presence of silicon! I'm scared! I'm going to quit working so I'll get replaced!"

Heh. Come on.

- Rob [/B]

Like they need any reason to decide to do that.

svxxx26
08-08-2003, 07:46 PM
It pains me to agree with Rob about anything...:rolleyes: ....but I don't see how spraying silicone or anything else under the car is gonna affect the O2 sensors, since they are sealed up against the elements and are exposed to damn near everything that might drip off the car or whatever happens to be on the road.

Landshark
08-08-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by svxxx26
It pains me to agree with Rob about anything...:rolleyes: ....but I don't see how spraying silicone or anything else under the car is gonna affect the O2 sensors, since they are sealed up against the elements and are exposed to damn near everything that might drip off the car or whatever happens to be on the road.

well then go ahead and spray that silicone everywhere (fumes travel)! i didn't say not to do it- just that *i* won't be doing it. they're your O2 sensors, do whatcha like. ;)

svxxx26
08-09-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Landshark

well then go ahead and spray that silicone everywhere (fumes travel)! i didn't say not to do it- just that *i* won't be doing it. they're your O2 sensors, do whatcha like. ;)

I didn't say I was gonna do it :rolleyes:

Hmmm...Pittsburgh...not that far away....better watch it I'm gonna come up and waft silicone fumes over your O2 sensors :D

Imprezzed
08-09-2003, 10:28 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well then go ahead and spray that silicone everywhere (fumes travel)! i didn't say not to do it- just that *i* won't be doing it. they're your O2 sensors, do whatcha like.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>I didn't say I was gonna do it

>Hmmm...Pittsburgh...not that far away....better watch it I'm gonna come up and waft silicone fumes over your O2 sensors :D

I don't wanna start anything, but I think you guys should scrap. :D

Solve it in true SVX style: see who can get the highest estimate to get the problem REALLY fixed :)

Mine used to make the same noises, ESPECIALLY over speed bumps...but a local mechanic greased the snot out of it and now it sounds better.

Landshark
08-10-2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by svxxx26

I didn't say I was gonna do it :rolleyes:

Hmmm...Pittsburgh...not that far away....better watch it I'm gonna come up and waft silicone fumes over your O2 sensors :D

keep your fumes in WV, pal. ;)

svx_commuter
08-10-2003, 05:59 AM
i could be wrong, but i thought spraying silicone under your car can kill your O2 sensors.

What? On the outside of the O2 sensor that is screwed in the exhaust pipes? Under the SVX? That gets splashed with water and salt and dog piss?

Or do you mean that if the sensor is removed from the exhaust and silicone spray enters the vents on the bulb???

svx_commuter
08-10-2003, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by JLittell
Won't silicone spray attract dirt and grime though??

Not any more dirt and sand than leaking engine oil that ends up on the bushings. :)

svx_commuter
08-10-2003, 06:08 AM
Hi Rob, :)

I have done this. :) I have talked to Beav about it. :) I have posted on it. :)

Come back in 500 miles and let us know if it still works. I really hope it is working for you. :)

Let us know if your SVX still feels and handles the same at 80 mph with the lubed bushings.

John

DavieGravy
08-10-2003, 02:06 PM
Well, I don't know about handling, but I'd have to say it's done wonders for the horrid knock I was experiencing. It's not totally gone, but it's much, much better.

DavieGravy
08-12-2003, 12:06 PM
Nope. Worked for about a day, now it's clunking again.

Chicane
08-14-2003, 08:10 PM
I used silicone, it worked AWESOME for a week, but now its slowly coming back. I think I'm going to try white lithium grease next.

-R ob