PDA

View Full Version : Question about a 911.

Chicane
08-03-2003, 07:24 PM
Hey... alright... lets say I knew about a screamin deal on a 1977 non turbo Porsche 911. Black. Black interior.

Lets say I also, out of curiosity, checked into insurance.

Why would it be a really bad idea to get that?

- Rob

wawazat??
08-03-2003, 07:34 PM
worry about parts and service costs Rob.

Ron Mummert
08-03-2003, 07:42 PM
Why would it be a really bad idea to get that?

- Rob [/B][/QUOTE]

Because you'd eventually have to tell your new wife about it.

Ron (just trying to pre-save a marriage).

Chicane
08-03-2003, 07:45 PM
Uh... she would LIKE a porsche, much more so than the automatic yachtlike SVX.

Hrm

AWD is good for the winter though< PLUS, this car has an airbag

- Rob

nubs
08-03-2003, 07:46 PM
What Todd and Ron already said about sums it up. How good of a deal are we talkin here?

lee
08-03-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Chicane
Uh... she would LIKE a porsche, much more so than the automatic yachtlike SVX.

Hrm

AWD is good for the winter though< PLUS, this car has an airbag

- Rob

there's always the Carerra 4 :D

mohrds
08-04-2003, 10:04 AM
Rob,

You cannot assume that the car will be reliable. I don't know about your financial situation, but I would expect you'll need to budget about $3000 a year for repairs/maintenance on a 911.

The shop I take my SVX to does mostly Porsche service. They tend to need alignments more frequently and they are not cheap. I think they are around $250 for a four wheel alignment.

In addition, most minor parts are more expensive than on our SVXs and the major parts are quite a bit more than a typical car.

If you have the budget, go for it. They are awesome to drive. If you are just able to make car & insurance payments, you will be giving yourself a lot of extra stress.

Doug

Landshark
08-04-2003, 04:34 PM
go to the 911 forum on rennlist.com and lurk around/ask questions - its the 'SVX Network' for Porsches. :)

get a Performance Products catalog for cheap OEM and rebuilt parts (and aftermarket/performance stuff, too.)

the cool thing about 911's is, you can put a little work into it, drive it for a few years, and sell it for what you paid for it (or more.) too bad this ain't the case with the SVX. :(