PDA

View Full Version : Rear Strut Tower and cross bar group buy

cdigerlando
08-20-2001, 09:36 AM
Hey guys:

Well after having my rear window busted out, I figured it would be a good time to make lemonade from my lemons. It is now very easy to get to the rear struts.

I just got done putting a rear strut tower and rear cross bar system in my WRX. Of course this was commercially available for that car. I noticed some big improvements in body roll and a big reduction in understeer, and improved stiffness and steering response. The setup is similar in the SVX. I discussed this project with a local shop. They said they would be interested in this type of project. They are a very reputable race shop specializing in race car chassy work. Please let me know if you all would be interested in a group buy. Typically these towers cost around $250. I'm sure ours will cost more. I can have a more definite estimate when I have a feel for what you want, and how many we can produce. The things I need to know are.

What is the max you would pay. (don't worry I will keep this under my hat. I just want to have a price goal.)

What materials do you want (I would go with aluminum 40mm)

Do you want a tower and cross members. This will raise the price another $150 to $200.

What deposit would you be willing to put up?

How long between deposite and payment would you be willing to wait? I will try to get a schedule, but you know how that goes.

Let me know. I don't want this to end up dead like the rear sway bar.

Chuck D.

Mr. Pockets
08-20-2001, 10:23 AM
I'm confused. I understand what a strut tower brace is - those rods you bolt on between the two strut towers either in the front or the back of the car.

But you're saying that you want 'strut towers' manufactured.

Please explain exactly what it is you want to organize a group buy for. Hey, maybe you'll get more interest that way.

cdigerlando
08-20-2001, 03:52 PM
A bracket attaches to the top three bolts of the top strut mount these two brackets are connected to a 40 mm bar, effectively stiffening the suspension. The optional cross bars form a V from the mount to the bottom of the trunk area. If you need to see an example of this check out the following link for the WRX. I was thinking of something similar.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/projectwrx/wrx-stage1.html