PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering

Szalkerous
08-19-2001, 04:24 PM
My power steering in my SVX seems to be sluggish compared to my other cars...(Chevy Camaro, Ford Expedition)... Now how can I improve that? I've noticed if I let the car sit for a while and idle, say ten minutes, the power steering is incredibly loose and easy to manuver...the way I like it. Now my guess is that it's line pressure related, right? Or is it lack of electrical power? I saw a mod online from a fellow SVXer to upgrade the battery lines with aftermarket wire. I'm thinking perhaps this may help a small bit? There is plenty of PS fluid, and the pump does not leak.

IS there something obvious that I am not seeing here??

nvrmore100
08-19-2001, 06:38 PM
Power steering...unless the SVX is unlike every other car I've ever seen....has nothing to do with electrical power. My guess is the reason it is getting better
from idling is the temperature is making the fluid less viscous. This will allow more flow, and probably is allowing your steering to move more freely. Maybe
check your belts...it might be worn out and causing it to slip. You might want to try tightening your belt as well.

Other than that, I think you are just going to have to live it it. If your fluid level is correct...not much else you can do.

Ryan

Aredubjay
08-19-2001, 06:53 PM
When was the last time you changed your power steering fluid (put new ATF in your PS unit)? That made a world of difference for me. When I replaced the O-ring, I pretty much flushed the old stuff out of the system and replaced it with new. Made a big difference.

As far as electronics in an SVX steering system, yes, they do exist. Some models are equipped with Vehicle Speed Sensing Electronically Controlled Hydraulic Reaction Type PS systems, while others have the Engine Speed Sensing type. If you have an LS-L or LSi, you definitely have the electronic system. I'm not sure which other models they may be installed in.

In the electronically controlled PS system, the flow of fluid is controlled by signals from the ECU, to lighten the feel in low speeds and firm up the feel in high speeds. In the Engine speed sensing type, there is a control valve that reacts to the speed of the engine to control flow. (Kinda abbreviated, but, the general idea.) So, the short answer is, yes, it is possible that some of your sensors are sending errant signals through the ECU, which could be making your steering more firm at idle. But, it would be kinda complicated to sort them out. Or, it would be for me, anyway. I'm kinda toopid. :D

KEVINL
08-19-2001, 10:50 PM
I read somewhere that newer cars have less assist for better road feel.

Aredubjay
08-22-2001, 12:01 AM
Just in case you're interested, here's the diagram for the electronically controlled power steering unit:

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/aredubjay/vwp?.dir=/My+Folder&.dnm=Power+Steering+Elec.+Diagram.jpg&.src=bc&.view=l&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/aredubjay/lst%3f%26.dir=/My%2bFolder%26.src=bc%26.view=l

htyei
08-24-2001, 01:27 AM
mine feels a bit sluggish when going slow as well.
I got a laser thermometor, and was very surprised that the power steering resevoir is the hottest thing in the engine bay , around 220-250 degrees!

how do you drain the ps fluid from the resevoir?

nvrmore100
08-24-2001, 08:33 AM
Turkey baster? Or some other type of suction tool....no we won't go there. :D

Ryan

Aredubjay
08-24-2001, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by nvrmore100
Turkey baster? Or some other type of suction tool....no we won't go there. :D

Ryan

BAD VISUAL! BAD VISUAL! <Ardub gets sudden mental picture of nvrmore, sitting backwards in his SVX, with a turkey baster>

nvrmore100
08-24-2001, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Aredubjay

BAD VISUAL! BAD VISUAL! <Ardub gets sudden mental picture of nvrmore, sitting backwards in his SVX, with a turkey baster>

Hehe, I love throwing those in first thing in the morning...keeps you on your toes Aredub. :D

Ryan

svx_commuter
08-30-2001, 11:20 AM
Check out the bottom of the radiator. The PS tubing is there in the form of a cooling loop. Maybe it is blocked. After you change the fluid and other easy stuff, o-ring under the reservoir, it may come down to the pump being worn out! Too much clearance in the critical rotating parts. Mine acts up sometimes too, right after I slow down it is very stiff for awhile but not all the time.

rufus
08-30-2001, 01:48 PM
how do you drain the ps fluid from the resevoir?

Turkey baster? Or some other type of suction tool....

Well...

You could just blow a return hose.
:eek:

cocacola08
08-30-2001, 02:07 PM
As much as I enjoy drinking ATF fluid, I'd hafta pass on that one

Aredubjay
08-30-2001, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by rufus

Well...

You could just blow a return hose.
:eek: