PDA

View Full Version : My Poor Car

cdigerlando
08-18-2001, 03:56 PM
My mechanic was trying to call me to tell me that my rear window was busted out by a garbage truck. When I got there the whole think was ruined. Fortunately they will be paying for it.

I am a little dissapointed in Level 10. They were supposed to give my mechanic some instructions for the installation. Not only did they fail to do this, but they also did not send the shiftronic unit with the tranny. In addition they hit me with an additional $500 to rebuild my center diff. I thought that was included! The total for this rebuild is about $5000 not including the cost of taking it in and out. It had better be good! I will reak havock on these guys if there is a problem.

I will be replacing the rear deck cover and speaker covers along with new Infinity speakers and the new glass. I am going to look into getting glass from subaru with no hole for the wiper, as mine is removed. I live in Florida and don't need this or the defroster.

Venting

Later

eddycat2000
08-18-2001, 04:20 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your problems Chuck. (or do you prefer Charles?) I once had a garbage hauler back into a freshly painted side box on a pickup I owned, if it weren't for a very nice person that witnessed the event telling me about it, I wouldn't have known who did it.

Normally I don't post on Mod-mainia as you know. But your tale is strikingly familiar to me as to the cost of the overhaul. (BTW-you don't have a center diff, you have a front, a rear, and a transfer assy). Seems like every post I have read states that the cost was far and above what was quoted. I certainly do hope you guys are getting your money's worth. With your setup, I'd like to hear how it performs, not only on initial installation, but over time.

Keep us posted, I for one am quite (intensly) interested in how level 10 holds up...you *know* I'm a documentation freak.;)

cdigerlando
08-18-2001, 04:27 PM
Yes you are right. The transfer case. At this price you may have been better off to go with a standard subaru rebuild. I think unless you are a hard driver this might not be necessary. I would not consider myself an easy driver, but not a hard driver. My tranny stock lasted 130,000 miles. A cooler and synthetic tranny fluid might be enough for the everyday driver.

My mods require something bigger and better. I too hope that it is worth it. I will keep you guys posted on how it performs. Guess I'll have to wait to break it in until my new window comes in.

KEVINL
08-18-2001, 06:19 PM
bummer sorry to hear about that. MY car just got back from the body shop. Well now since you have had so much trouble with level 10. I think If I ever have to replace a tranny again I'll use a Manual Dog box

cdigerlando
08-18-2001, 09:34 PM
Exactly my thought Kevin. I'm a little dissapointed that I didn't go that route. I so much love my WRX 5speed. A dog box is the only thing that would work. Ever driven one? I never have but I hear it is very difficult. I thought that it would too radically change the luxury of the SVX. My springs and struts already did a job on that .

KEVINL
08-18-2001, 11:47 PM
I hear its not that bad once you get used to it although your luxury goes out the window

1994SubaruSVX
08-20-2001, 11:28 AM
it is stiff but it makes me feel like i am in a sports car. i didnt buy the svx because of its luxury. i bought it for the looks and the speed. you dont really need 0-60 acceleration on the track. that is where the svx shines.

sorry about your car that sucks. $5000 is a lot for the tranny, especially considering they didnt even send you the shifttronic parts. my tranny is still going strong with my cooler and the resistor mod.

i am taking the car this weekend to get me suspension checked out. something is not right because i am getting some vibration throught the steering wheel. i had some local place rebuild my cv axles and i think they did a ****ty job. so i will probably replace the with brand new subaru axles here in the next month or two. but beyond the axles i thing something else is off....just dont know what. this guy i know mods out hondas and other imports so it there is a problem he will see it. i hope it is not my rack and pinion. good luck my friend.

cdigerlando
08-20-2001, 05:55 PM
When does your car vibrate? If it is when you get on it, it might be the driveshaft.

kvnobrien
08-21-2001, 01:44 PM
Sorry to hear.

I hope things go well with you tranny after this. I had a surprise on the pricing when I went to pick up the car. They didn't tell me over the phone that they had to replace the spider gear. After some convincing (and crying :D ), I didn't pay for it. Their customer service can use some work, but for me, their product has made up for it.

cdigerlando
08-21-2001, 02:11 PM
That is what happened to me. When I got a quote, it was for a rebuild, not a repair. Their should have been no suprizes. Makes me worry that they are not rebuilding, just repairing. Big time lack of documentation too on the process they use. Poor warranty as well. They would do a whole lot better if they would just tighten up in these areas.

Good to hear your tranny is working well. I will be slamming it much harder with the turbo than any of you will be. That is my concern. Eddycat voiced a lot of these concerns too. Only problem is, I know there is no other option, other than the stock, which we know has difficulty handling 230 HP let alone 400+.

cocacola08
08-21-2001, 02:36 PM
What about putting on the legacy 5-speed that supposedly fits onto our car?

cdigerlando
08-21-2001, 03:05 PM
I doubt the legacy tranny would be very strong either. Probably weaker than the SVX tranny. It has been discussed. It has a closer gear ratio from what I have been told.

cocacola08
08-21-2001, 03:28 PM
HMMM....
There goes my idea of putting a manual, if---no, no I mean WHEN my tranny goes out

1994SubaruSVX
08-23-2001, 04:05 PM
when i am making a sweeping corner......it is sporadic, it does it sometimes when i am driving straight. like i said i am going to replace my struts with oem and replace my left rear (with the bubble) as soon as i can. i am taking it to a friend of mine this weekend. wish me luck....:confused:

i am have almost lost the desire to battle with my svx......i can feel myself losing interest......it is like everything and anything you do to the car is difficult.

take it easy all.......:)

kvnobrien
08-23-2001, 04:36 PM
I doubt the legacy tranny would be very strong either. Probably weaker than the SVX tranny. It has been discussed. It has a closer gear ratio from what I have been told.

I'm surprised that no one has mention, at least I haven't seen, the '00 WRX manual gear box. People have said that you would need a longer drive shaft after that, but I'm guessing you would need it for the Legacy trans as well.

(I would love to see someone do a manual transmission, but I love the way my car shifts now, especially coming out of a fast corner and it drops down into second gear. It's so quick and crisp and the car just moves!)

eddycat2000
08-23-2001, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by kvnobrien

I'm surprised that no one has mention, at least I haven't seen, the '00 WRX manual gear box. People have said that you would need a longer drive shaft after that, but I'm guessing you would need it for the Legacy trans as well.

Most likely because they changed the configuration of the bell housing in '00. 6 bolts instead of 4. They also did some other engineering tricks in the '00 and up suspension to try and eliminate the slight shaking when coming out of corners.

kvnobrien
08-23-2001, 07:25 PM
Is there a WRX transmission that might fit?

cdigerlando
08-23-2001, 09:17 PM
Damn........you sound depressing. Cheer up. If your CVs are bad, see if you can find a place that does lifetime CVs. If you continue to have problems, just raise the car a bit. No biggy. I would not trash the whole setup just yet. If you really don't have time for it, sell the car and get a WRX to modify. You will probably have similar problems, but at least a lot of people will be there to share them with you. Anyway, give me a call if it becomes unbearable. Us SVXadicts should stick together in the good times and the bad.

cdigerlando
08-26-2001, 09:51 PM
We discussed doing a WRX standard trans. I think a modified' 99 MRT WRX gearbox would be best.

For my modifications I would need Dog gears. I considered a RWD, but there was little interest in this, and I felt that this would add a great deal of complexity to an already complex project.

I think the Level 10 mod should give me the performance insurance I need, while still maintaining some of the stock features of the car.

I think if you had a stock SVX and decided to go with a MRT tranny this would be a great modificaton in itself, but I would not do very much more to enhance power unless you go to dog gears. Ever drive a tractor? Are you good at double clutching?
Check out this link.
http://www.mrtrally.com.au/

kvnobrien
08-27-2001, 06:58 AM
"Ever drive a tractor? Are you good at double clutching? "

Yeap, I use to "drag" the sand with a tractor at a swim park I worked at. I think I'm good at double clutching, but I see your point, the SVX shouldn't drive like a tractor.

1994SubaruSVX
08-27-2001, 07:13 AM
my guy said everything is fine. apparently all the chatter i thought i was hearing up front is the strut hitting the rubber stopper. there is just not quite enough suspension travel because i lowered the car two inches. he said it will not hurt anything but their may be a little chatter. the rattle i heard is the strut mount occasionally moving side to side and hitting the strut. he said my springs and struts were installed correctly. my cv axles are great. so all is good in suspension land for my svx, whew.....good!! if the occasional chatter begins to get on my nerves i will just raise the car one inch. but i doubt that will ever happen.

as far as the vibration goes.....it was the damn tire with the bubble. i can not believe that a bubble could cause that much vibration?? anyway all the places in town were going to charge me between $250-300 to replace the one tire! that includes installation and the whole nine yards. so i said the hell with it and decided to buy four new tires. i putting Z rated 225/45/17 Bridgestone Potenzas on the car. these are the latest potenzas and they are pretty bad a$$. if i am not mistaken all new svx's came with v-rated potenzas. it feels good to bring the car back to its roots....

I am finally at peace with my SVX again.....ahhhhhh....:cool:

cocacola08
08-27-2001, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
my guy said everything is fine.

Bet that's a relief!

as far as the vibration goes.....it was the damn tire with the bubble. i can not believe that a bubble could cause that much vibration?? anyway all the places in town were going to charge me between $250-300 to replace the one tire! that includes installation and the whole nine yards. so i said the hell with it and decided to buy four new tires. i putting Z rated 225/45/17 Bridgestone Potenzas on the car. these are the latest potenzas and they are pretty bad a$$. if i am not mistaken all new svx's came with v-rated potenzas. it feels good to bring the car back to its roots....

The tread on mine are getting low I'm not looking forward to buying new for mine. I can't even put the custom wheels that I have on because the tires on those are down to the belts :(

Come on POWERBALL!!!!!

cdigerlando
08-27-2001, 07:20 PM
I'm glad to hear you are at peace! I still am not. I did get the car back. I would like to give a full explaination of my experience with Level 10, but I will save it for another Thread. Check the Mods thread for the complete story.

cocacola08
08-28-2001, 08:14 AM
I keep hearing bad things at Level 10, I hope the mods they do is worth all the trouble

1994SubaruSVX
08-31-2001, 04:18 PM
out to be awesome, including me, maybe they are not all that we thought.....that would suck!

cdigerlando
08-31-2001, 04:56 PM
Well....everyone has slumps and makes mistakes. Only time will tell if the tranny mod is worth it. The way I see it I had no other economical choice. We know the subaru rebuild would not hold up to a modified engine.

eddycat2000
08-31-2001, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
out to be awesome, including me, maybe they are not all that we thought.....that would suck!

*Ahem*...not "everyone".:D