PDA

View Full Version : I went to n2k3

Chicane
07-21-2003, 04:51 PM
WARNING: THIS IS AN OFF TOPIC FORUM, SO I'M GOING TO TALK ABOUT WHATEVER I DAMN WELL PLEASE. IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT, HIT YOUR BACK BUTTON AND STFU!

Okay, now that we got that out of the way, I just thought I'd share the last 4 days with you. I went to Neon 2003. MAN! I was only there for 2.5 days but I had a ton of fun! (there were 6 SRT-4s there too!) The first night somebody blew their engine, so we all helped on an all night motor swap! :D Day two we headed out to Hahn Racecraft; they make turbos for Eclipses, Neons, and Cavaliers. I don't like cavies much, but a new Z24 with the ecotec was running high 12s with just a stage 2, and stock everything else. CRAZY! I also talked about getting an SVX turbo kit made, Hahn does EVERYTHING in house, and was interested into getting into the Subaru Turbo market, and I explained that the SVX basically has NOT ONE TURBO KIT FOR IT, even though it should. I'll be emailing him in a few months about it, right now they're REALLY busy. But yeah! Possible Turbo Kit for hte SVX! HELL YEAH! HEre's a link if you want to snoop around:

http://www.turbosystem.com/

I also won a fuel jug from them, its 5 gallons for race gas but I think I'm going to use it for my scooter. Heh.

We then went to the strip, ROUTE 66. YEAH. IT WAS HUGE. ANd it was FILLED with neons. :D THere were a TON of them in 14s, probably about 15 in the 13s, and a few in the 12s... pretty impressive. Only one of hte cars was trailered. A friend of mine snapped an axle so we swapped in a new one in the parking lot; it took about 20 minutes or so. :D heh.

Anyway... at the end of the night... Len Aleya shows up. He races the Hahn Racecraft Turbo neon... only he was driving his STREET car... a 1st generation Neon Coupe. It looked stock. LOOKED. Stock brakes. Stock interior. Stock exterior.

IT RAN AN 11.6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

JEZUSSS CHRIST! IT LOOKED SO STOCK TOO! :D WOWEE! That was cool!

And on friday I headed out to redrock state park in IL for a BBQ, car show. There were a ton of neonites interested in my SVX, so I answered most of their questions about it... a lot of people really liked it, even if it was slow! :) I also won an award at the car show, even though I didn't enter it: "The Honary Neon Award". Heh.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun. The SRT4s were badass, the 1st gens were great too, and the 2nd gen 4 doors sucked it up, because they're ugly, heavy, don't handle, and lame. :p

- Rob

PS: I'll post pics of the fast cars, maybe a vid or two. Pretty impressive.

Subafreak
07-21-2003, 05:34 PM
Sounds like you had a good time in Neon land. Car guys are car guys but just don't know if I could be surrounded by that many Neons and not screem. Anyway how the hell did you win a Neon award in an un entered SVX?

Chicane
07-21-2003, 06:13 PM
Cuz I'm me. I have a bit of a reputatation over there at neons.org... basically, I get along with everyone, EXCEPT the head admin, Matt Wiggins. He doesn't like me, personally, so he banned me. I came back on popular request, and he banned me again. He's a dick.

Anyway, it was cool, though I have to admit a lot of the neons there were pretty lame, but there were a few that were SOOO sweet. :)

- Rob

Subafreak
07-21-2003, 07:31 PM
Thats what I thought. I guess anyone on as much of a conquest with the Neon as you should get an award just for being at the show. Didn't you catch a lot of flack for not owning one anymore tho, or did you turn a few over to the SVX side?

Chicane
07-21-2003, 07:48 PM
Eh. Sorta. I got a few "Hey, who let the Subaru in here!" and stuff like that, but people honestly like that. There are quite a few neon enthusiasts that have their neon as their 'toy' car and a WRX as their daily driver, and it seems that they really aren't all that different... I mean, neon enthusiasts and subie enthusiasts are both 'different', and not your normal 'I want a honda civic/integra type R/ camaro Z28/ Ford F150/ Everyone else has one' crowd.

And as for 'not owning one anymore', well its true, I don't own one right now...but I'm going to get another one. A coupe with a 5spd, and do the 2.4 thang. It'll run 13s, have a mega phatty powerband, and outhandle almost anything. All for a paltry 3 grand. :P

- Rob