PDA

View Full Version : So, you think you've got traffic...

rufus
07-10-2003, 08:20 PM
I thought you might enjoy a few shots of the morning commute in Jakarta, Indonesia. I snapped these on the way in to the office this morning. Still photos don't really do it all justice, as you really need to see the assorted vehicles in motion to really appreciate the controlled chaos, but if you use your imagination a little, you'll get the idea :D

rufus
07-10-2003, 08:23 PM
Another...

rufus
07-10-2003, 08:25 PM
One more...

Subafreak
07-11-2003, 05:48 PM
They seem to have a bit of an over population problem.
What kinda cars do they mostly drive in that place.

SVXRide
07-11-2003, 06:53 PM
Mike,
Hope you're not sucking up too many exhaust fumes sitting in that traffic:eek:
Hear they're auctioning off your autoX slot :D
-Bill

rufus
07-11-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Subafreak
They seem to have a bit of an over population problem.
What kinda cars do they mostly drive in that place.

The most popular car here seems to be the Toyota Kijang. It is an Isuzu trooper looking thing, but a little smaller. There are lots of "SUVs" but they are all of the smaller variety. For cars, there are several different small Toyotas, some Hondas, Suzukis, and Mitsubishis, a few Peugots, and every now and then a BMW/Mercedes/Jaguar. I did see a Subaru dealer in town, but I have yet to see one on the road.

The most common vehicle here, by far, is the scooter. Lots of Vespas, and all the various Japanese makers. All like 80cc - 125cc. They call them ducks. :D

There are a lot of people here indeed. Jakarta is the 10th largest city in the world, about the same size as L.A. And a lot of smog. On a clear day with no wind you cannot see the city at all from an airplane.

-Mike (already pi$$ed off about missing the autocross, doesn't need anyone rubbing it in :p )

SVXRide
07-12-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by rufus

snip*

-Mike (already pi$$ed off about missing the autocross, doesn't need anyone rubbing it in :p )

Mike,
If it helps any, I'm not making the trip over to Winchester. They're up to 4 slots available. I'm going to make sure I'm "ready" for August 13 (?) at WSSC.
Be safe! (why am I even typing this to "Mr. Dangerous"?:D )
-Bill (trying to figure out what to do first - calipers/rear rotors, or rear sway bar bushings...)