PDA

View Full Version : My 88 RX turbo!

Green1995SVX
07-10-2003, 09:26 AM
I just got all the stuff for the car from the original owner. She kept everything! I've got the entire service history since the car was new, the original window sticker, and the lighted key even still works!! This car was totally maintained. She had it professionally waxed and detailed 3 times a year at a shop in town, and did all the oil changes. I'm so excited!

Mike

SVXRide
07-10-2003, 09:30 AM
Careful! There is a growing "I hate Mike" group (j/k):eek:

benebob
07-10-2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by SVXRide

My XT6 will still blow it away as a winter car:D . First things first since its a cheap car with some rust issues.
1. Clean out the bottom of the front fender real good. Fill it with some oil. I like to start with some wd 40 or the like to make it sticky then gear oil.
2. Take the trim off the rockers. Do the oil thing in there as well.
3. Put oil above the rear strut area. Water gets stuck in there too.

Real easy and cheap rust proofing that'll help slow the rot until you decide what your gonna do and what's worth doing.

Green1995SVX
07-10-2003, 09:55 AM
The car had rust proofing all over the place, it's just where it's not rust proofed that the problems are. Do you want to check it out some weekend? I can bring it to lancaster.

Mike

benebob
07-10-2003, 10:00 AM
Of course I'd love to see it. The bad thing about rust proofing is it really doesn't work with Subies. Just like the cars from across the puddle they get water inside and rust inside out. It is tough to try to proof it. There is a RX sedan at Harry's if you need some parts but I'd suspect it would just be engine stuff.

nubs
07-10-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
The car had rust proofing all over the place, it's just where it's not rust proofed that the problems are. Do you want to check it out some weekend? I can bring it to lancaster.

Mike

I would like to see it too. I think they are really cool little cars.Let me know when you are coming. I see that it even has a Slippery Rock sticker in the rear window.Seems like destiny:D

huck369
07-10-2003, 04:54 PM
Get that "green house" rear window tinted to save the interior, and keep it much cooler inside, you're gonna love it...I know we loved ours:D

StaceyVX
07-10-2003, 08:14 PM

Damn straight! haha j/k

Green1995SVX
07-10-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by StaceyVX

Damn straight! haha j/k

I can start some more hate here.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Green1995SVX/10094.JPG

Mike

StaceyVX
07-10-2003, 11:50 PM

Mike

So yea, am I allowed to say "smartass" on here? Ah, too late. :p

SVXRide
07-11-2003, 08:08 AM
Okay, you've succeeded:p ......enjoy the ride

StaceyVX
07-11-2003, 11:40 AM
Okay, you've succeeded:p ......enjoy the ride

Awww, I take it back. Seriously though, you've had a string of good luck! I'm happy for ya. Enjoy. :)

Green1995SVX
07-11-2003, 04:13 PM
My luck took a turn for the worse...

I got a letter from the state today that I will be having a hearing because of my less than perfect driving record. I hope I dont lose my license, but I probably will. :( And the worst part, the hearing is the day of that STi ride and drive, and it's about 4 hours away from here! What a bunch of poop. I'm gonna call the state and see if they will change my hearing date. :(

Mike

Subafreak
07-11-2003, 06:08 PM
Oh sure get me all mad at you then make me feel bad for you, such a cheap shot. Anyway if you can't get get out of your hearing date just blow it off to go drive, whats the worst there gona do, take away your license?

nubs
07-11-2003, 08:14 PM
My luck took a turn for the worse...
I'm gonna call the state and see if they will change my hearing date. :(

Mike
That really sucks Mike.
You could let someone with the same first name go in your place.:) Anyway with your poor driving record maybe you should not be driving such a fast car to begin with.:D

Green1995SVX
07-11-2003, 10:38 PM
I got the RX home. It started right up (even after sitting for years) and runs just as smooth as my svx. The turbo spins up freely, and the car has a lot of power. The R-12 AC even works, and is ICE COLD!

Problem areas-

*Battery is shot. (Under warranty, ordered replacment)
*Needs Windshield. (getting appointment on monday)
*Hood reliese cable is broken (not really sure what to do about this)
*Hole in the floor (gonna try to fix this myself with some steel from home depot and some pop rivits)

That's really about it. I'm very excited about the car, and i feel I got a very good deal on it!

Mike

PS- Pics will be in my locker in a few.

Green1995SVX
07-11-2003, 11:23 PM
Ok here are some pictures. Keep in mind I did nothing to this car but give it a basic exterior wash. I didnt wax it or even touch the interior. This is how clean this car is.

http://www.subarusvx.org/mike/rxt/

Mike

StaceyVX
07-12-2003, 12:18 AM
Damn you...I felt bad, now I'm jealous again after looking at the pics. :) Why is your driving record bad? I had the maximum amount of points on my license last year and what they did was let me take some test and if I passed, I got 3 points taken off...Then if I kept a clean record for a year, they'd remove the other 2...Too bad I got a ticket a couple months ago. :( I wasn't even speeding, but who will they believe, me or the officer? :(
Good luck w/it and I hope you get to drive the STI...Usually, you can reschedule hearings and such. But still, congrats on the RX.

NomadTW
07-12-2003, 10:51 AM
i got a ticket myself it'll put me over the point limits i'm sure, but i haven't even paid it because i don't have the money i gotta call them and see if they'll take a portion of the money

how'd you pick up the car mike?

huck369
07-12-2003, 06:07 PM
I got the RX home. It started right up (even after sitting for years) and runs just as smooth as my svx. The turbo spins up freely, and the car has a lot of power. The R-12 AC even works, and is ICE COLD!
Problem areas-

*Battery is shot. (Under warranty, ordered replacment)
*Needs Windshield. (getting appointment on monday)
*Hood reliese cable is broken (not really sure what to do about this)
*Hole in the floor (gonna try to fix this myself with some steel from home depot and some pop rivits)

Looks really good:cool: , makes me miss my old RX:(
On the hood release, buy a new cable...untill it comes in tie a cable to the release under the hood, where you can pull it from outside the car to pop the hood.

Sweet deal for sure.....

SVX26517
07-12-2003, 06:39 PM
Nice car. Seems like you guys cant get outta tickets like my dad, just go to court and blame it on the newbie police guy. he were targeted at 84 in a 55 mph zone (wasnt us though, guy passing us) and the guy said we were in a 4 dr and the car was white (it was a 2dr and silver) and we just got free of that and the trooper was suspended for 2 days:cool: so yeah. next time just go to court and blame it on the guy passing or if the copper loooks new, make sure your in your SVX so he can write it down as a saturn:p

Subafreak
07-12-2003, 07:22 PM
Ok here are some pictures. Keep in mind I did nothing to this car but give it a basic exterior wash. I didnt wax it or even touch the interior. This is how clean this car is.

http://www.subarusvx.org/mike/rxt/

Mike

Looks good Mike, I doubt the RX I'm aquiring from Adam tommorow will be that clean, but thats OK, I'm only getting it for the tranny anyway. I may put it back together with another tranny thoe, I havn't had a RWD tire burning Subaru since my XT and I'm hungry for some smokey doughnuts.

BTW. I would have thought the RX had digital dashes?

huck369
07-13-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Subafreak

BTW. I would have thought the RX had digital dashes?

None of the RX's I've seen had a digital dash,...that's not to say it wasn't available;)

Subafreak
07-14-2003, 05:45 PM
I'v not seen any inside untill recently, I just figured the GL-10 had them why not the RX? I got alot of seat time in my new RX sunday. Driving it from Keene N.H. to Plainfield CT. at 85-90 MPH with the occasional death wobble from the junk front axles, OH YA, it was fun.

Porter
07-16-2003, 11:43 AM

Mike

Cool! I'm going in August.