PDA

View Full Version : Hood Vents (non hooked up...)

Motorsport-SVX
06-29-2003, 03:23 AM
Think Jaun had some on his car in Mexico....could of been
these or similar. These are paintable, or can be left gloss
black. Not really functional but could maybe be made to
Wont be putting them on ebay......too much competition, haha.
Just thought some people would want to see more info
on them.......
Dayle

Motorsport-SVX
06-29-2003, 03:24 AM
from a more close up shot.....

CigarJohnny
06-29-2003, 09:01 AM
I think a functional hood vent over the airbox area would be great for those with an open element filter. I know some have already figured out how to wall of the area surrounding the air filter after they replaced the airbox with an open filter. A fuctioning vent opening to it would be a pretty sweet mod in my opinion.

Personally I liked the "Viper" style vent you posted a few days ago. One of those with some custom intake piping leading to the airbox would be really sweet. "RamAir" for the SVX! :)

Motorsport-SVX
06-29-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by CigarJohnny
I think a functional hood vent over the airbox area would be great for those with an open element filter. I know some have already figured out how to wall of the area surrounding the air filter after they replaced the airbox with an open filter. A fuctioning vent opening to it would be a pretty sweet mod in my opinion.

Personally I liked the "Viper" style vent you posted a few days ago. One of those with some custom intake piping leading to the airbox would be really sweet. "RamAir" for the SVX! :)

I like the Viper scoop too, may install one sometime..
I also have a pair of NACA scoops off the 87-88 Turbo Coupe
thunderbirds....they can be installed forwards or reverse
style for air intake or extracting hot air..
They are a little hard to find.
Ive found similar ones (see pic) they sort of need to be
molded in for a clean look.

marlettpat
06-29-2003, 01:09 PM
dayle, i like these vents also......i think a hood with these vents and the viper scoop would kick ass. i think the vents dont need to really be functional, but the scoop would be. i would definitly do some custom piping from the intake to the scoop. keep me updated please.
pat

Motorsport-SVX
06-29-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by marlettpat
dayle, i like these vents also......i think a hood with these vents and the viper scoop would kick ass. i think the vents dont need to really be functional, but the scoop would be. i would definitly do some custom piping from the intake to the scoop. keep me updated please.
pat

not much more to update, but they are all for sale
on my site. Or email me if you want to order some
thanks.....Dayle

solarsvx
06-30-2003, 07:48 AM
no dayle, :eek:

just doesnt looks right on the svx,, but a good effort on your part.

CigarJohnny
06-30-2003, 08:22 AM
Can anyone do a photochop job and install a "viper" scoop on an SVX so we can see what it would look like??:D

Landshark
06-30-2003, 09:25 AM
Can anyone do a photochop job and install a "viper" scoop on an SVX so we can see what it would look like??:D

here ya go......

SVXRide
06-30-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Landshark

here ya go......

Did I miss something:confused: the pic that loaded was a Viper with the NACA scoop and SVX headlight/'97 grill (missed this part the first time I looked at it - thus this edit :p ), not an SVX with the NACA scoop.

Dayle -- Think "Ram Air SVX"! Your customers want it:D The NACA scoop along with the hardware to locate an air intake under it....

Motorsport-SVX
06-30-2003, 10:41 AM

here ya go......

LOL !!!! thats pretty funny !!

Landshark
06-30-2003, 11:27 AM
ok, really, here's one at the front of the hood.......

i dunno - me no like.

Landshark
06-30-2003, 11:28 AM
here's the duct a little further back - a little better. :)

marlettpat
06-30-2003, 11:35 AM
i really like the second one. not quite so far up the hood. im really planning on buying one. justy gotta see if and how much my body shop guy will do it for.

SVXRide
06-30-2003, 12:13 PM
here's the duct a little further back - a little better. :)

Alan,
Nice! Now, how about a little farther forward and toward the passenger's side of the hood? This should put it in a location that we (Dayle?) could come up with a filter housing under it. I don't think the center location would allow for this (but then again, maybe I'm wrong...:D )
-Bill

Motorsport-SVX
06-30-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by SVXRide

Alan,
Nice! Now, how about a little farther forward and toward the passenger's side of the hood? This should put it in a location that we (Dayle?) could come up with a filter housing under it. I don't think the center location would allow for this (but then again, maybe I'm wrong...:D )
-Bill

I wont really have time to build any sort of box underneath..
I personally like the scoop upfront and center myself......

SVXRide
06-30-2003, 01:06 PM
I think this is going to come down to "form vs function" -- Has anyone done any measurements to see just how much space is available between the underside of the hood and the top of the engine?
-Bill (frantically looking for his blocks of modeling clay...)

Landshark
06-30-2003, 01:54 PM
I think this is going to come down to "form vs function" -- Has anyone done any measurements to see just how much space is available between the underside of the hood and the top of the engine?
-Bill (frantically looking for his blocks of modeling clay...)

there isn't ANY freakin' room in the front area under the hood. when i did the grounding mod, i had a battery cut-off terminal i was going to put on the neg, battery post (unscrew thumbwheel - ground is disconnected). i installed it, went to shut the hood and <CLUNK>! it only stuck up about an 1-1/4" - 1-1/2" above the battery, but would not allow the hood to close. :mad:

Landshark
06-30-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Motorsport-SVX
I wont really have time to build any sort of box underneath..
I personally like the scoop upfront and center myself......

here's a little more up front. i guess it looks better with the '97 grille - it looked kinda goofy with the waterfall.

SVXRide
06-30-2003, 02:45 PM

here's a little more up front. i guess it looks better with the '97 grille - it looked kinda goofy with the waterfall.

Left, left...move it to the left:D There's room next to the ABS hardware that might be useable

Landshark
06-30-2003, 03:40 PM

Left, left...move it to the left:D There's room next to the ABS hardware that might be useable

ok, here it is 924 turbo style........

CigarJohnny
06-30-2003, 04:24 PM

ok, here it is 924 turbo style........ Gee...not too sure about that one. Kinda looks like it's winking at me from an empty eye socket. I'd love to see it above and just to the front of the airbox but the crease on the hood kid of makes that impossible with the duct as it is. You think there is a way to squeeze it in there Alan? You know the location I have in mind?

Nice work btw...I really need to try my hand at that photoshop stuff. :)

Landshark
06-30-2003, 05:34 PM
I'd love to see it above and just to the front of the airbox but the crease on the hood kid of makes that impossible with the duct as it is.

exactly. a smaller NACA duct could be used to the right of the hood crease, but the Viper scoop appears that it might be too large to do that, based on Viper pictures i've seen. i could be wrong, though.

Landshark
06-30-2003, 05:41 PM
here's a little-un off to the side....

Motorsport-SVX
06-30-2003, 07:02 PM

ok, here it is 924 turbo style........

those cars where a big porsche laugh.....
good idea maybe, but dont want to be reminded
of the ol 924 everytime I look at it......
Although Im not a viper fan, I am more of it then
the 924........

Landshark
06-30-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Motorsport-SVX

those cars where a big porsche laugh.....
good idea maybe, but dont want to be reminded
of the ol 924 everytime I look at it......
Although Im not a viper fan, I am more of it then
the 924........

the 375hp 924GTR didn't have anyone laughing. ;)

marlettpat
06-30-2003, 08:58 PM
ok, i like the scoop in the middle, sorta close to the bottom. theres gotta be a way to hook up an intake to it. im gonna play around with my car a little tomorrow see what i can come up with and see where it would be a good place. theres gotta be room for a small duct to the intake. ill keep ya updated

Alycone
06-30-2003, 10:37 PM
I think the one-side looks a little unbalanced.

two scoop (http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Alycone/9946.jpg)

Bwana
06-30-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by marlettpat
ok, i like the scoop in the middle, sorta close to the bottom. theres gotta be a way to hook up an intake to it. im gonna play around with my car a little tomorrow see what i can come up with and see where it would be a good place. theres gotta be room for a small duct to the intake. ill keep ya updated

Personally, i think that looks really bad. But i also agree with the one sided thing...im a big fan of symetrical stuff :p :D .

I think the first pic of dayle's was the best so far.

Wonder how it would look with those vents a little farther towards the front...like right over the airbox? Any photochop people wanna try a good looking one? I can hack up a crappy looking one.

Bwana
06-30-2003, 11:26 PM
Hey, i said i sucked at photoshop....

edit: NVM, made a new one, if you already d/loaded it, click it again, and hit refresh.

Bwana
07-01-2003, 12:00 AM
What about something like this? Smaller version of the viper vent...and symetrical, and could be functional with a few cuts in the air box.
(sorry, borrowed Penny...first dead on shot i found.)

SVXRide
07-01-2003, 10:16 AM
here's a little-un off to the side....

Alan,
Great job with Photoshop! One last request -- could you move it farther forward so the back edge of the duct would be about where the stock air box is - I'm thinking a more direct feed into an airbox is going to be the most efficient. I personally don't mind the asymmetrical look - sends the message that the duct is actually there for a reason, and not just cosmetic.

Dayle - is the NACA duct available in this smaller size?

-Bill

Motorsport-SVX
07-01-2003, 01:27 PM
I can only get the Viper Style one size.....
I can get these smaller.....
Or you can try to find some used ones off a mid 80s 280Z
that came with a version back when.....

SVXRide
07-01-2003, 02:28 PM
Dayle,
what are the dimensions on these (naca2.jpg)? I'm thinking they might actually work better than the Viper's NACA duct, given the creases in the SVX hood.
Thanks.
-Bill

Landshark
07-01-2003, 04:12 PM
- I'm thinking a more direct feed into an airbox is going to be the most efficient. I personally don't mind the asymmetrical look - sends the message that the duct is actually there for a reason, and not just cosmetic.
-Bill

before you guys go hacking up your hood, what gains were you expecting from the scoop-fed air box? unless you do over 200mph on a regular basis, its really going to be a waste of time and money. if you're doing it for cosmetic reasons, that's one thing. personally, i didn't think any of the scoops looked good. i do like the way that carbon fiber hood w/scoop looks, though. anyways, here's an article that explains the physics of ram-air a little better:

"Ram Air, Hot Air
Marketers just can't resist it. Ram air! The words themselves summon up images of rushing wild beasts, or of secret military aircraft operating on futuristic principles.
Unfortunately, at realistic speeds, ram-air is as functional as tail fins were on cars of the ’60s.
What is it? Ram air just means using a forward-facing air intake to gain some extra intake pressure. We have all, as children, felt the pressure of moving air on our hands when we held them out the window of the family car. When moving air is brought smoothly to rest, the energy of its motion is converted into pressure. Motorcycles went through a "ram-air" period in the early 1990s, during which street bikes were equipped with the forward-facing "rocket-launcher" engine air intakes seen on many road-racing machines.
While it's appealing to imagine forward velocity being converted into free supercharge, the actual air pressure gain is extremely small at normal speeds. For example, at 150 mph, the pressure gain when air is efficiently brought to rest is 2.75 percent. Because this is a dynamic effect, it is proportional to the square of the air velocity. At a more realizable speed of 75 mph, the effect (again with 100 percent efficient conversion of velocity into pressure) will be only one-quarter as great — that is, just under seven-tenths of one percent.
In fact, velocity energy is not converted into pressure at 100 percent efficiency. A figure of 75 percent efficiency is usual, which reduces our notional ram-air gain at 75 mph to one-half of one percent.
Therefore, at normal speeds, ram air is a myth."

to summarize all the tech-talk, at 75mph you will get a 0.5% pressure gain from ram air. i don't know how to convert this pressure gain into hp, but i'm pretty sure the cost/effort to hp gain ratio is VERY bad. i'd say sink your money into the car some other way. ;)

scottheaney
07-01-2003, 04:24 PM

before you guys go hacking up your hood, what gains were you expecting from the scoop-fed air box? unless you do over 200mph on a regular basis, its really going to be a waste of time and money. if you're doing it for cosmetic reasons, that's one thing. personally, i didn't think any of the scoops looked good. i do like the way that carbon fiber hood w/scoop looks, though. anyways, here's an article that explains the physics of ram-air a little better:

"Ram Air, Hot Air
Marketers just can't resist it. Ram air! The words themselves summon up images of rushing wild beasts, or of secret military aircraft operating on futuristic principles.
Unfortunately, at realistic speeds, ram-air is as functional as tail fins were on cars of the ’60s.
What is it? Ram air just means using a forward-facing air intake to gain some extra intake pressure. We have all, as children, felt the pressure of moving air on our hands when we held them out the window of the family car. When moving air is brought smoothly to rest, the energy of its motion is converted into pressure. Motorcycles went through a "ram-air" period in the early 1990s, during which street bikes were equipped with the forward-facing "rocket-launcher" engine air intakes seen on many road-racing machines.
While it's appealing to imagine forward velocity being converted into free supercharge, the actual air pressure gain is extremely small at normal speeds. For example, at 150 mph, the pressure gain when air is efficiently brought to rest is 2.75 percent. Because this is a dynamic effect, it is proportional to the square of the air velocity. At a more realizable speed of 75 mph, the effect (again with 100 percent efficient conversion of velocity into pressure) will be only one-quarter as great — that is, just under seven-tenths of one percent.
In fact, velocity energy is not converted into pressure at 100 percent efficiency. A figure of 75 percent efficiency is usual, which reduces our notional ram-air gain at 75 mph to one-half of one percent.
Therefore, at normal speeds, ram air is a myth."

to summarize all the tech-talk, at 75mph you will get a 0.5% pressure gain from ram air. i don't know how to convert this pressure gain into hp, but i'm pretty sure the cost/effort to hp gain ratio is VERY bad. i'd say sink your money into the car some other way. ;)

I think the idea was "cooler air" than under-hood engine heated. air, not necessarily "RAM air", to the under-hood-type cone filters...am I correct here guys? Basically an alternative to the air duct into the wheel well setup tried by many people...

Landshark
07-01-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by scottheaney

I think the idea was "cooler air" than under-hood engine heated. air, not necessarily "RAM air", to the under-hood-type cone filters...am I correct here guys? Basically an alternative to the air duct into the wheel well setup tried by many people...

oh, the "short ram." i kinda think those are just a bad idea. they look nice, but hurt performance.

with the stock airbox it would be cheap and easy (but not necessarily pretty) to wrap the entire airbox/intake tube with that aluminum/insulated foam wrap. i've seen that done on 928's with temp sensors hooked up at various points- it did lower the temps a good bit with the insulated foam wrap.

Motorsport-SVX
07-01-2003, 05:47 PM
Dayle,
what are the dimensions on these (naca2.jpg)? I'm thinking they might actually work better than the Viper's NACA duct, given the creases in the SVX hood.
Thanks.
-Bill

Can be mounted for ait intake or reversed for an air exit. However the area must be semi-flat and measure at least 8"x 6" for best results. They are 100% hand laminated for the highest quality. The dimensions are approx. 7" x 5" and 1" at the deepest point.

Uncamitzi
07-01-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Bwana
What about something like this? Smaller version of the viper vent...and symetrical, and could be functional with a few cuts in the air box.
(sorry, borrowed Penny...first dead on shot i found.)

SH*T

Bwana
07-01-2003, 10:35 PM
is that good or bad?

Bwana
07-03-2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by Uncamitzi

SH*T

Good or bad SH*T???

CigarJohnny
07-03-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by scottheaney

I think the idea was "cooler air" than under-hood engine heated. air, not necessarily "RAM air", to the under-hood-type cone filters...am I correct here guys? Basically an alternative to the air duct into the wheel well setup tried by many people... You're right on target with my thinking. ;)

Motorsport-SVX
06-06-2004, 11:16 PM
just wanted to post them here for now, got really
good response the last time I put a few up.

Ill have them up for sale on the site soon, this was
just an FYI for all those interested...

Motorsport-SVX
06-06-2004, 11:18 PM
and this style can be installed a number of ways....

Motorsport-SVX
06-06-2004, 11:20 PM
you can do this...
these are all paintable and easy to install too.

Motorsport-SVX
06-06-2004, 11:21 PM
you could install them

Motorsport-SVX
06-06-2004, 11:22 PM
Evo for your Svx
this comes in black or simulated CF look too....

theres more on our site
under Whats New and Exter Mods

www.svx101.com

Landshark
06-07-2004, 06:29 AM
Dayle,

how much extra is it for a 'hooked-up' scoop? :D

NomadTW
06-07-2004, 11:48 PM
that cowl looks like it would be perfect for cramming that dune buggy roots supercharger under the hood...

The Hunter
10-31-2007, 03:47 PM
How about like this on my SVX?
Later,
:cool:Gary:cool:

SVXRide
11-01-2007, 08:43 AM
Gary,
very nice. my only question is, "what do they feed?" a little farther down the hood and they could "feed" dual TB inlets:cool:
-Bill

The Hunter
11-01-2007, 12:02 PM
They feed cold air to the Strut towers. :rolleyes: :D LOL. They do the only thing that I wanted them to do. Look D@M* :cool:cool:cool: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If the scoops were put up front to feed the airbox It would have been Ugly. That's not my goal!! Most of the vents on this post go on the car with 2 way tape and arn't functional. I guess they do let extra air into the engine compartment. But realy I'm never going to try to make my SVX fast. I have a Suzuki Hayabusa for that. And If I want a Quarter mile car or autoXer, well my turbo 4 banger Merkur XR4ti for under $2000.00 worth of performance mods will out perform any performance modded SXV out their.

Later,
Gary

svxash
11-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Would this look cool:cool:?
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/data/500/scoops.JPG

Mike621
11-03-2007, 01:52 PM
haha madmaxxin' it! NEVER.

Not a fan of scoops...

immortal_suby
11-03-2007, 03:08 PM
They feed cold air to the Strut towers. :rolleyes: :D LOL. They do the only thing that I wanted them to do. Look D@M* :cool:cool:cool: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If the scoops were put up front to feed the airbox It would have been Ugly. That's not my goal!! Most of the vents on this post go on the car with 2 way tyape and arn't functional. I guess they do let extra air into the engine compartment. But realy I'm never going to try to make my SVX fast. I have a Suzuki Hayabusa for that. And If I want a Quarter mile car or autoXer, well my turbo 4 banger Merkur XR4ti for under $2000.00 worth of performance mods will out perform any performance modded SXV out their.

Later,
Gary

Your brake pads are on backwards

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/The_Hunter/14070.JPG

The Hunter
11-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Yea I know. I took that like 3 years ago and Was told 3 years ago the same thing. I changed it around before I put the wheel back on. I caught it when I did the other side.

The Hunter
11-03-2007, 06:52 PM
Oh and thanks for reminding me. I deleted it from my locker.:D
Later,
:cool:Gary:cool: