PDA

View Full Version : Did I ever do that...?

OZ_SVX96
06-18-2003, 07:16 AM
It is funny how you notice it so much more now. You know the look of an amused motorist and or passengers when they realise that they have not seen a "funny looking car like that around much". The kids that point and stare at the windows in windows, and the 'know it alls' that just have to come up and tell you..."gee do you know how much these things cost when they were new, and by the way there were only 248 sold here you know..did you know.. huh?"
Then of course there are the real winners, the ones who just need to tell you at a party that they had one of the first ones imported, but sold it to move back to their favoured german ride, of which they have 4 different varieties in their garage.
Ever bumped into this kind of pest? I'm sure you have.

Jamsvx
06-18-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by OZ_SVX96
It is funny how you notice it so much more now. You know the look of an amused motorist and or passengers when they realise that they have not seen a "funny looking car like that around much". The kids that point and stare at the windows in windows, and the 'know it alls' that just have to come up and tell you..."gee do you know how much these things cost when they were new, and by the way there were only 248 sold here you know..did you know.. huh?"
Then of course there are the real winners, the ones who just need to tell you at a party that they had one of the first ones imported, but sold it to move back to their favoured german ride, of which they have 4 different varieties in their garage.
Ever bumped into this kind of pest? I'm sure you have.

Well said! I particulary like the "they were a bit of a dog weren't they? And an automatic transmission...why would you buy that?"

"Oh, I don't know"

Later that night....

Moron other person in his leased A4 poverty spec wondering why that Subaru he mocked earlier keeps pulling alongside him, matching his speed and then tearing off, and him wondering why his Teutonic badge-cred poser mobile has not seen which way that strange Subaru went let alone be able to catch it.

I also like the "well I have an awd Jaguar X-type, much better than the SVX"...."ah yes, the Ford Mondeo in a different body. Did I mention the SVX had awd 11 years ago". "But this is a Jag" - lets compare- interior build quality in Subaru is better, still looks like a new car "Oh, but the X-type is much quicker and handles better"

Off we go again....

SVX - 1
X-type - 0

People who simply repeat the mantra that the car magazines bandied around since about 1993/4 is what gets to me. It was not a sports car, never designed to be a sports car...its a GT...the fact that they stuck in road tests with GTR, 3000GT's and RX7's escapes these "book quoters" completely.

If you want to drive the boot in, to the "I bought one new, I am rich, traded it" brigade, ask, as I did once to a particulary arrogant and obnoxious person, "so what's it like to lose $50,000"? That shut him up quicksmart!!

And the creme de la creme "Have you actually ever even BEEN in an SVX?"

:D

OZ_SVX96
06-19-2003, 07:38 AM
James. no doubt you have seen the "AUTOCAR & Motor" comparo from 5 August 1992.
It was assessed against:
Audi Coupe S2
Honda Legend Coupe
Jaguar XJS 4.0
Mitsubushi 3000GT
Nissan 300ZX

A bit of a mixed bag to put it up against but, you guessed it- it came out as "Our Choice" by the testers.

How about this for praise, "....the SVX is worth every penny of its asking price, because more than any other it successfully bridges the gap between the sports coupes and the bigger luxury coupes. The fact that it does so in such individualistic style is a triumph"
Of course there is much more of that elsewhere in the test report, but it just goes to show that it was well and truely ahead of its time and still is in most instances.

When you read through the threads on this site from O/S and here, there is a real feeling of owning something unique and special.

Sure I could drive a beemer, a ZX, an 'owdi' etc but they are like backsides aren't they? Everyones got one.

Jamsvx
06-19-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by OZ_SVX96

Sure I could drive a beemer, a ZX, an 'owdi' etc but they are like backsides aren't they? Everyones got one.

:D

I think I have scanned and uploaded that article to my website, along with a few others - its still under construction but the address is in my signature below

SVX for me, SVX for me

Would have been great to follow Mr Remington 'I liked the product so much, I bought the company!'

Form a SVX Pty Ltd, get all us raving lunatics on here to buy shares, buy the rights and tooling (although all gone now :mad: ) and build them...of course we could sell them to the public but better that we keep the supercharged manual versions for members of the Network only!

*rubs hands, evil laugh*

Clearly, I have not gotten enough sleep! *laughing*