PDA

View Full Version : MD/VA/D.C. Crab Meet

SVXRide
06-11-2003, 08:03 PM
I talked with Rufus and Ron during the AutoX and it looks like we should be able to make this happen. Rufus (Mike) is checking on the availability of parking, etc. around his work, so I figured I'd take the lead on seeing just how many people might be interested. I think it's safe to say the meet will include the best crab cakes on the planet and one or two technical/ how-to demos. My guess is that the meet will occur within the next month or three.
So, who's interested in coming?
-Bill

Ron Mummert
06-11-2003, 08:17 PM
Who's interested? LarryIII is.

Ron (Yeah, me too).

ensteele
06-11-2003, 08:39 PM
I'd like to try the crab cakes, but it is a little too far for me to get there.:(

SVXRide
06-11-2003, 08:40 PM
Ron,
While I'm only going on limited knowledge here, I'm guessing it wouldn't be a party without you:D
And then there were three....
-Bill

SVXRide
RonM
Larry III

LarryIII
06-12-2003, 04:39 AM
Count the Naviguesser and me in for a bushel.

I'd like a 'teknickol' demo on how to get all the meat out of a hard shell crab without making a mess of my shirt.
I believe Ron is up to this task.

Also, which Box-O-White goes with the best crab cakes in the world? Is it 'Chateau de Old Bay 1976' or maybe 'Sauce Le Tartar 1982, ?

I'll leave it up to the experts from MD who are crabby.

SVXphile
06-12-2003, 12:55 PM
....you crusty crab lovers had a meet.

So when is the appointed time for the shell-out?

Don

Green1995SVX
06-12-2003, 10:29 PM
Sign me up. :) I will be there as long as it's not on a conflicting date. :)

Mike

SVXRide
06-13-2003, 10:50 AM
Mike, great!

So, we're now at

SVXRide
Rufus
Ron M
Larry III
Naviguesser

svxcess
06-13-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by SVXRide
Mike, great!

So, we're now at

SVXRide
Rufus
Ron M
Larry III
Naviguesser

So, we're now up to 6

SVXRide
Rufus
Ron M
Larry III
Naviguesser
Svxcess

svxcess
06-13-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by LarryIII
I'd like a 'teknickol' demo on how to get all the meat out of a hard shell crab without making a mess of my shirt.

At the autocross Rufus told us of the oriental technique of using compressed air to blow the crabmeat out of the shell in large pieces. Maybe we can rig something up for you using a portable air compressor or something.

Will Christina be able to make us official SVX crab or lobster bibs in time for the event? Gotta save the shirts, you know.

benebob
06-13-2003, 01:19 PM
MMMMMMMM.... I should be able to make it. So long as the date doesn't conflict with the Smokies meet Huckster is working on.

SVXRide
06-13-2003, 02:09 PM
Okay, so it's not Reading-class yet, but a fun group in the making..

SVXRide
Rufus
Ron M
Larry III
Naviguesser
Svxcess
Trish "Mad Puppy"
Benebob

newsvx
06-13-2003, 05:36 PM
By all means add me to the list, which is now the following:

SVXRide
Rufus
Ron M
Larry III
Naviguesser
Svxcess
Trish "Mad Puppy"
Benebob
newsvx

I may even get Ruth to attend this meet - and maybe "Maria the Speednut" too.:cool:

Harry, newsvx

nubs
06-13-2003, 05:49 PM
I might be able to make it if I know the dates soon enough so I can schedule off work.

newsvx
06-13-2003, 06:26 PM
Mike, You better be there as close as you are!!!

Say, how you doing? Haven't seen you on site lately.
Harry

nubs
06-13-2003, 06:42 PM
Been really busy lately building my deck.I am almost completely done with it. I will try to get to your project soon:)

newsvx
06-13-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by nubs
Been really busy lately building my deck.I am almost completely done with it. I will try to get to your project soon:)

No hurry, Mike.

BTW, when is the BBQ on the new deck?? :D
Harry

nubs
06-14-2003, 01:02 AM
It was this past Sunday,I had it complete enough for that.Just need to add some finishing touches.I would have been finished awhile ago but the weather has not been cooperating at all:(

ToySoldier
06-18-2003, 11:51 AM
Depending on the date & work, you can count me in. That makes 8 :D
See you there.
DOc

marlettpat
06-18-2003, 08:06 PM
yeah, i might go. sign me up tenitivly and ill see about makin it. i wouldnt be comfortable drivin down by myself. anyone else from lancaster pa area goin down let me know ie. nubs, benebob, or possible mike

BluebyU
06-22-2003, 04:33 PM
Hey!!

count me in as long as I'm free that weekend and not working.....

SVXRide
06-22-2003, 09:19 PM
Wow, this is starting to get serious :D :D

SVXRide
Rufus
Ron M
Larry III
Naviguesser
Svxcess
Trish "Mad Puppy"
Benebob
newsvx
Green1995SVX
Nubs
ToySoldier
Marlettpat
BluebyU

-Bill

benebob
06-26-2003, 02:55 PM
What's going on out there crab got your tongue's? We gonna try to come up with a date and location?

SVXRide
06-26-2003, 03:40 PM
Mike and I haven't been able to catch up with each other yet...hopefully we will soon and will have info to pass along, so stop being so crabby:D

SVXphile
06-26-2003, 07:17 PM
<What's going on out there crab got your tongue's? We gonna try to come up with a date and location?>

(head resting on one hand....the other hand drums fingers on table top.....)

Crabcake Don

SVXRide
06-27-2003, 11:08 AM
Just traded emails with Rufus and he's working on a meeting with his company's President to get the needed permission and then he's got to talk to the company lawyer about writing up a liability waiver so we can have a mini-autocross! So, the wheels are turning:D
-Bill

SVXphile
06-27-2003, 12:32 PM
<so we can have a mini-autocross!>

But I don't own a Mini!

(car, Ron.....not the skirt) :rolleyes: Don

SVXRide
06-27-2003, 08:55 PM
Don,
No skirt .....no service :D

Seriously, though.....Mike will be posting soon to ask for feedback on time (think late August/early September) and what everyone is willing to pay for food. He's got approval from upper management to hold the meet (yeah!!), so the logistical race is now on! I can't say enough about the job Mike has done to make this meet happen:D
Stay tuned for future words from Mike (Rufus).
-Bill

UStifosi
06-30-2003, 12:08 PM
Count me in. Where is this place at?

SVXRide
06-30-2003, 01:13 PM
It will be (Mike/Rufus - correct me if I'm wrong) up around Baltimore.

calmone
07-15-2003, 12:12 PM
add 2 more to the list, even if ron won't put out a trot line and get the crabs for us at the cost of a few chickem necks.

SVXRide
07-15-2003, 01:23 PM
Okay, here's the list so far:

SVXRide
Rufus
Ron M
Larry III
Naviguesser
Svxcess
Trish "Mad Puppy"
Benebob
newsvx
Green1995SVX
Nubs
ToySoldier
Marlettpat
BluebyU
UStifosi
calmone +1

-Bill (holding down the crab meet fort while Rufus is wandering the Far East in search of rare and exotic sea life....)

newsvx
07-15-2003, 04:42 PM
And Bill, do we have a definite date yet? Or did I miss it?
Thanks,
Harry

mikecg
07-15-2003, 05:58 PM
Im interested, but I need a were and when before I can commit.

svxcess
07-15-2003, 06:29 PM
Tenatively it is scheduled for sometime during the first half of August at the Phillips Seafood plant. Rufus has permission to use the parking lot there to have a mini-autoross as well.

Hopefully he will give us more info when he returns from Indonesia on the 23rd of July

mikecg
07-15-2003, 07:37 PM
not sure were phillips sea food is

Ron Mummert
07-15-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by mikecg
not sure were phillips sea food is

The Phillips Sea Food plant is on East Fort Avenue which runs along the SOUTH side of the inner harbor, & dead ends at Fort McHenry, of Star Spangled Banner fame. You take the Key Highway exit off of I-95 near the south/west McHenry tunnel entrance, & follow it 'til you get lost & have to ask a Bawla-moron directions. Anyway, by now you're in the neighborhood. (Look for the neon - yes NEON! crab climbing up the big brick chimney).
The EXACT date has not yet been established. Rufus (Mike) will let us know when his Asian tour is over.

Ron (crustacean climber).

rufus
07-15-2003, 09:01 PM
Well, I have a few minutes and an internet connection (a rare combination for me recently) while I'm waiting to get on yet another flight...

I want to shoot for late August or early September for the event. It will be held at the Phillips Seafood Headquarters building on East Fort Ave in Baltimore, about a half mile west of Fort McHenry. We have permission to use the parking lot for an autocross, but the size and shape of the lot will mean it is going to be a slow, tight course. No problem though, it will still be lots of fun. We also have an auditorium available with a projector and sound system if anyone wants to put something together for that.

As far as the food is concerned, we have a couple options. We can get crabs, or we can fire up a couple grills and have some grilled tuna steaks and shrimp and what not. Or a combination of the two. If we can reach a consensus here on what we feel is a reasonable per-person fee, I can get a couple menu options put together. I can also get a few people down there to cook and clean up for us, but that will add to the expense. Might be better to do that stuff ourselves.

I was planning to include beer and sodas too, so factor that into the per-person cost. The beer will not be served until AFTER the autocross however... that part is not negotiable. :D

We will hopefully be borrowing or renting the cones and timing equipment from another group. We will need to coordinate the event with their schedule to make sure said equipment is available.

This should be fun.

I'll get the event cost discussion going right now. I think our target cost per person for the event should be around $25-30 each. I can put together something nice for that price, but we will probably be cooking and cleaning up ourselves.

What do the rest of you think?

-Mike

newsvx
07-15-2003, 09:10 PM
All sounds good, Mike. I believe you are right on target! What kind of help do you need?
Harry

SVXphile
07-15-2003, 09:55 PM
LATE August? Shucks....

Well, that sticks a fork in it for me..... :( :( :( Don

SVXRide
07-16-2003, 08:18 AM
Mike,
I'm definitely in at the 25-30 price. Anyway we can have it by the next to last week in August? My kids start back to school the last week of August, so things start to get a might "frazzled" getting everything ready for them.
-Bill
p.s. ditto what Harry said re: help

benebob
07-16-2003, 09:35 AM
I can smell the crabs cookin already!

nubs
07-16-2003, 12:24 PM
Mike,
Anyway we can have it by the next to last week in August? help

If it is the next to last week in August, I am out.:( I will be taking my daughter to college that weekend.:)

marlettpat
07-16-2003, 01:16 PM
if we can assure the date(s) soon i can ask off for work. i dont get paid vacation, but i do get a full week if i ask soon......ill be starting full time in the next couple weeks tho :D

mikecg
07-16-2003, 03:20 PM
evrything sounds great. I'd love to do it, but I can't commit until I get a hard date for it. I think I can locate a large grill, just need someone with a vehicle that can tow it. If you think we need it let me know and I can get more info.

StaceyVX
07-16-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by benebob
I can smell the crabs cookin already!

Talk Jason into going to one of these with me!!!

dEaD
07-16-2003, 09:52 PM
Hiya all

hmm meet!!! sounds fun am hopping to have my work done by then but you could count me in in in in, lol
I wonder if every1 from the north meet at on of the reset areas on 95 and drive down togther ( just sounds fun )

let me know the date and I hope to make it :cool:

rufus
07-17-2003, 08:13 AM
Got to keep this short, I'm connected via an international phone call right now $$$$$$$.

We've got grills down there already, and actually a full indoor kitchen, so don't worry about that. We also have picnic tables, dishes and silverware, pretty much everything we're going to need.

I want to schedule it so as many of you can make it as possible. Does the weekend of the 16th/17th work better for those of you with problems later in the month? We can do it that weekend as long as it doesn't conflict with the MBCA autocross and I can get some help with the set up (which doesn't sound like it is going to be a problem). Hrrmmm... the 16th is my girlfriends birthday... I may be getting myself into some trouble here :eek:

OK, gotta go. Talk amongst yourselves :D August 2nd is definitely out. The 9th could work, or any Saturday after that.

-Mike

mikecg
07-17-2003, 02:26 PM
just tell her it's her birthday party, we'll all chip in a buck for a gift.:D

LarryIII
07-17-2003, 03:58 PM
Ok, We will chip in. Mike Rosie & I cannot make the 16th & 17th of August. I hope you mean Sept.

benebob
07-17-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by StaceyVX

Talk Jason into going to one of these with me!!!

Just tell him that your going regardless and if he's not there Larry will spend the whole night hitting on ya.;)

StaceyVX
07-19-2003, 11:38 AM

Just tell him that your going regardless and if he's not there Larry will spend the whole night hitting on ya.;)

Haha, he wouldn't believe it. Then I can say, "Well, that's what Ben said so you better go." :p

LarryIII
07-19-2003, 02:06 PM

Frst, if it is the weekend of Aug.16, 17 , we cannot go.
Second, I hope you don't mean Larry III (Larry iii). I'm already in enough trouble with the Beautiful Naviguesser.

benebob
07-19-2003, 04:17 PM

Frst, if it is the weekend of Aug.16, 17 , we cannot go.
Second, I hope you don't mean Larry III (Larry iii). I'm already in enough trouble with the Beautiful Naviguesser.

First :( .

Second, did you forget the three lines you said every man needs to remember?:)

Green1995SVX
07-21-2003, 08:41 AM
The 9th of august works for me. I already have the day off, and was planning on going to lancaster that weekend. I HOPE HOPE HOPE it's then. Then I can go. :)

Mike

LarryIII
07-21-2003, 10:22 AM
Rufus (Mike),

What is the real date of this meet; 8/09/03, 8/16-17/03, or other ?
Inquiring minds want to know. :confused: :confused:

SVXRide
07-21-2003, 12:06 PM
My vote is for the 9th!
-Bill

Note: Mike (Rufus) won't be back in the States until this Wednesday.

nubs
07-21-2003, 12:28 PM
My vote is for the 9th!.

I vote for the 9th also,if it is any other weekend I will not be able to make it.

svxcess
07-21-2003, 12:48 PM
How about the 10th? Sundays are traditional autocross days anyway.

mikecg
07-21-2003, 04:00 PM
what could be more romantic than a parking lot full of SVX's.

LarryIII
07-21-2003, 04:02 PM
John,

Are you sure that you're up to an Auto-cross on Sunday morning after a romantic Saturday ?

Congrats to you and Trish.

marlettpat
07-21-2003, 08:29 PM
The 9th or 10th are perfect. Could we even do both? Some of us could commute or get hotel rooms for the night. just an idea.

Green1995SVX
07-21-2003, 09:17 PM
I can only do the 9th. that is the only day in the entire month that i can make it. :( Stupid working all the time.

Mike

rufus
07-22-2003, 12:55 AM
Saturday the 9th seems to be popular.

I have to confirm that there is nothing else going on at the facility that day (I have been out of the office for a couple weeks). If it is all clear, then that is the date.

John, I'm real sorry about the conflict, but the Mercedes Benz club autocross is already scheduled for the 10th, and Harry and I will both be there. Hopefully you can at least stop by for a couple hours.

Here are a few of the things I have planned; please chime in with more ideas if you have them:

Some sort of "competitive" driving event in the morning. Probably an autocross of some sort.

Lunch (the important part)

Steamed Crabs
Grilled Tuna Steaks
Seafood Pasta Salad
Eastern Shore Corn on the Cob (if I can find any)
Probably Cole Slaw or similar
Soda, Beer, and Box-O-Wine

After lunch, I though we could drive up to Fort McHenry, get some real nice photo ops, and tour the park. It is about a 2 minute drive. There is an admission fee to the fort (not the park though).

It would also be cool to station someone on the foot bridge over Light Street with a camera and take the SVX caravan up Light Street in the middle of the day. That would only take a few minutes, too.

There are tons of museums and other attractions within 10 minutes of the event site.

What do you all think? Saturday the 9th of August, 10 AM until whenever.

I will check in here when I get home.

rufus
07-22-2003, 01:00 AM
Oh yeah, for those of you who are looking for something to do on Sunday, come on out and watch the Mercedes Benz club autocross. It is a good time, and you get to see lots of cool cars, including Harry Newmans sweet red SVX.

:D

LarryIII
07-22-2003, 04:29 AM
Mike, Aug. 9th is A-OK with me & the Naviguesser.
Wha' happened to the crab cakes. Phillips is famous for those.

afsquid
07-22-2003, 06:17 AM
I'll be there if it's in early Sept. Look forward to finally meeting some SVXers.

afsquid
grn '92

SVXRide
07-22-2003, 08:55 AM
Mike,
aces all around! Have a safe trip back.
-Bill

mikecg
07-22-2003, 03:17 PM
Scheduled to work that day, I'll have to see If I can trade someone. I found the place the other day, you guys werent kidding. It is going to be a small course.

Ron Mummert
07-22-2003, 08:01 PM

Steamed Crabs
Grilled Tuna Steaks
Seafood Pasta Salad

Sorry, Mike, but I attended the Phillips grand opening this afternoon. Yeah...I ate all the crabmeat.
I'm sure Larry won't mind hot dogs.

Ron (Burrrrrrrp!).

afsquid
07-23-2003, 08:12 AM
So, is everyone saying the 9th of Aug? I can make it if it goes into the night or I can make the 10th.

afsquid
grn '92
:confused:

calmone
07-23-2003, 04:44 PM
why grill the tuna?

SUSHI RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how we gonna pay for this anyway, you need $ up front and if so how do we get it to you????????????????

newsvx
07-23-2003, 08:33 PM
Mike,
Sounds good. Looking forward to the event. Glad you will make the next Mercedes Autocross too. Drop me an e-mail when you are back in town...
Harry

Originally posted by rufus
Saturday the 9th seems to be popular.

I have to confirm that there is nothing else going on at the facility that day (I have been out of the office for a couple weeks). If it is all clear, then that is the date.

John, I'm real sorry about the conflict, but the Mercedes Benz club autocross is already scheduled for the 10th, and Harry and I will both be there. Hopefully you can at least stop by for a couple hours.

Here are a few of the things I have planned; please chime in with more ideas if you have them:

Some sort of "competitive" driving event in the morning. Probably an autocross of some sort.

Steamed Crabs
Grilled Tuna Steaks
Seafood Pasta Salad

After lunch, I though we could drive up to Fort McHenry, get some real nice photo ops, and tour the park. It is about a 2 minute drive. There is an admission fee to the fort (not the park though).

It would also be cool to station someone on the foot bridge over Light Street with a camera and take the SVX caravan up Light Street in the middle of the day. That would only take a few minutes, too.

There are tons of museums and other attractions within 10 minutes of the event site.

What do you all think? Saturday the 9th of August, 10 AM until whenever.

I will check in here when I get home.

rufus
07-24-2003, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by mikecg
Scheduled to work that day, I'll have to see If I can trade someone. I found the place the other day, you guys werent kidding. It is going to be a small course.

Did you drive around to the back of the building? :D

rufus
07-24-2003, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by calmone
why grill the tuna?

SUSHI RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how we gonna pay for this anyway, you need $ up front and if so how do we get it to you????????????????

No need to pay up front, I'll pay for it and collect at the event.

I actually have rather considerable sushi making skills. A little too much work for a cookout, though. You can have your tuna grilled rare, though :) I'll bring the soy sauce and wasabi.

rufus
07-24-2003, 04:27 AM
Mike, Aug. 9th is A-OK with me & the Naviguesser.
Wha' happened to the crab cakes. Phillips is famous for those.

There seemed to be a lot of demand for steamed crabs, so I went with those.

If you guys would rather have crab cakes, I would prefer to do that. Way less mess to clean up, way more convenient for me, and cheaper to boot. Let me know if everyone is OK going that route...

rufus
07-24-2003, 04:31 AM
Well, in case you have not guessed, I am back in town. Severely jet-lagged, but back. If I can make it out of the house today, I am going to head in to work for a couple of hours, just to finalize the plans for the meet.

Can I get a fresh count of the people who are planning to attend, now that the date has been set?

Thanks

LarryIII
07-24-2003, 04:45 AM
Ruf,

We will come on the ninth but not on the sixteeth.

Ron Mummert
07-24-2003, 06:51 AM
Well, in case you have not guessed, I am back in town. Severely jet-lagged, but back. If I can make it out of the house today, I am going to head in to work for a couple of hours, just to finalize the plans for the meet.

Can I get a fresh count of the people who are planning to attend, now that the date has been set?

Thanks

1. Me

2. Crab CAKES - no mess! Yes!

Ron.

Green1995SVX
07-24-2003, 08:27 AM
I will be there. May I bring my parents? I mentioned something about it to them and they really want to come and make a family event out of it.

Mike

marlettpat
07-24-2003, 08:33 AM
Im coming! Crab cakes definitly!

SVXRide
07-24-2003, 09:34 AM
Mike,
Looks like we'll make it a family event (Wife, Austin the Navigator, Devin the Navigator-in-training, Lauren - 5yrs old and not sure what to make of the SVX, and me)

Our votes are for crab cakes!

-Bill

Clydesvx
07-24-2003, 10:37 AM
Rufus,
Have you ever run into Harry Murphy?

mikecg
07-24-2003, 02:18 PM
NopeI didnt go around back. The place was closed when I went by. I didnt want to cause any trouble. Im defanitly in. I was wrong, got to work on the 10th. I have 9th off. As for the menu, Im in it for the meet, so whatever you serve will be fine. Even burgers and dogs.

benebob
07-24-2003, 05:45 PM
I'm still in!

Green1995SVX
07-24-2003, 08:51 PM
mmmm crab cakes.....

Mike

Green1995SVX
07-24-2003, 09:02 PM
I think we need to get a count again

Green1995SVX (plus mom and dad)

nubs
07-24-2003, 09:13 PM

Nubs (Hoping for tuna steaks)

LarryIII
07-25-2003, 04:19 AM

Larry III & The Beautiful Naviguesser (I'm starting to get all crabby)

newsvx
07-25-2003, 05:14 AM
Yep, always good to know for sure, and Mike will need the count as close as possible.

newsvx

See ya there.....

Harry

calmone
07-25-2003, 07:56 AM
the little woman and i will me there (please don't tell her i said that!)

SVXRide
07-25-2003, 09:16 AM
newsvx
calmone (plus wife)
SVXRide (plus wife and kids)

mikecg
07-25-2003, 09:57 AM
newsvx
calmone (plus wife)

Add me, and well just me (need a life, and a girl)

Ron Mummert
07-25-2003, 12:17 PM
newsvx
calmone (plus wife)
Ron (plus box)

marlettpat
07-25-2003, 09:20 PM
and me! just me this time tho i think. ill let ya know if im bringin anyone, my dad may wanna come

Green1995SVX
07-25-2003, 09:33 PM
newsvx
calmone (plus wife)
MikeCG
Ron Mummert
marlettpat

rufus
07-27-2003, 02:45 AM
newsvx
calmone (plus wife)
MikeCG
Ron Mummert
marlettpat
rufus and guest

Looks like 19 so far. I went in to the ofice on Thursday to talk to the company president and confirm the date; everything is a go. I will have a menu and a final cost-per-person on Monday.

We could rename this meet the:

"The Great Crab Cake and Tuna Steak Shake and Bake with a Box-o-Grape"

mikecg
07-27-2003, 05:24 AM

We could rename this meet the:

"The Great Crab Cake and Tuna Steak Shake and Bake with a Box-o-Grape"

Or just "The GCC/TS S&B w/BOG" for short

CigarJohnny
07-27-2003, 07:47 AM
I want to come to this SO FRIGGIN' BAD!!! The wife and baby will be away all the week prior and possibly that day (depends on when I have to pick her up). My dad lives in Baltimore. He is way over due for a visit from my son and I. He might just love such an event. Notice how things are starting to add up here? I love all things crabby (even you Ron) but the wife really loves crab cakes and would wring my neck if she missed out on them. The SVX is sidelined for power steering issues but should be fixed by then. I do love it down at Inner Harbor and any excuse to go is a good one. At this point I am rambling and mumbling to myself... And I do have off that weekend and the following week as well. Most of all I just REALLY, REALLY wanna go! I will have to approach this one carefully and wait for the right opportunity to approach my other half. Right now she has a headache and it would not be a good time. Then again I was born there and you are supposed to make regular pilgrimages to your birth place, right?

Hrrmmm....

benebob
07-27-2003, 05:00 PM
newsvx
calmone (plus wife)
MikeCG
Ron Mummert
marlettpat
rufus and guest

Looks like 19 so far.

Not sure how I got deleted. I'm still in. Doubt I'll have the SVX but the XT will give everyone fits if the autox does get set up.:D

Ron Mummert
07-27-2003, 09:00 PM
Then again I was born there and you are supposed to make regular pilgrimages to your birth place, right?

Hrrmmm.... [/B][/QUOTE]

Johnnie - Yer a native Bawla-moron & have to THINK IT OVER?!?!
Get wifey a bee-hive doo, some Hawaiian stretch pants & platform fuzzy slippers, & come on down'a harbor, Hon!
Crab cakes'er on 'da barby.

Ron (itchin' fer crabs...Uhh, I mean...oh never mind).

Green1995SVX
07-28-2003, 09:32 AM
YAY! I'm getting very excited!

Mike

marlettpat
07-28-2003, 09:39 PM
newsvx
calmone (plus wife)
MikeCG
Ron Mummert
marlettpat
rufus and guest

Looks like 19 so far.

I am most likly bringing a guest now. So lets change that to 21 including benebob. oh, greensvx nubs, and benebob, u all wanna go down together?
Pat

LarryIII
07-29-2003, 04:16 AM
Rufus,

Can you post an address and/or directions?

Thanks

rufus
07-29-2003, 11:56 AM
Rufus,

Can you post an address and/or directions?

Thanks

The address is:

1215 East Fort Ave
Baltimore, MD 21230

I'll post directions later.

nubs
07-29-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by marlettpat

I am most likly bringing a guest now. So lets change that to 21 including benebob. oh, greensvx nubs, and benebob, u all wanna go down together?
Pat

Count me in. Let me know were and when to meet.

rufus
07-30-2003, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by CigarJohnny
I want to come to this SO FRIGGIN' BAD!!! The wife and baby will be away all the week prior and possibly that day (depends on when I have to pick her up). My dad lives in Baltimore. He is way over due for a visit from my son and I. He might just love such an event. Notice how things are starting to add up here? I love all things crabby (even you Ron) but the wife really loves crab cakes and would wring my neck if she missed out on them. The SVX is sidelined for power steering issues but should be fixed by then. I do love it down at Inner Harbor and any excuse to go is a good one. At this point I am rambling and mumbling to myself... And I do have off that weekend and the following week as well. Most of all I just REALLY, REALLY wanna go! I will have to approach this one carefully and wait for the right opportunity to approach my other half. Right now she has a headache and it would not be a good time. Then again I was born there and you are supposed to make regular pilgrimages to your birth place, right?

Hrrmmm....

If it helps any, I could probably arrange for a couple frozen crab cakes to make their way home with you :D

rufus
07-30-2003, 06:39 AM
Everything is coming together nicely.

Here's my tentative schedule for the event:

8 AM - I am showing up to start getting everything set up. Anyone local who would like to volunteer to help is welcome.

10 AM - SVX competitive driving event begins

12:30 PM - LUNCH!

2 PM - Drive up to Fort McHenry for photo op and tour of the fort

4 PM - Downtown Baltimore SVX video filming

5 PM - Goodbyes, possible trip to local watering holes if anyone is interested

Input is appreciated.

-Mike

newsvx
07-30-2003, 07:30 AM
Everything is coming together nicely.

Here's my tentative schedule for the event:

8 AM - I am showing up to start getting everything set up. Anyone local who would like to volunteer to help is welcome.

10 AM - SVX competitive driving event begins

12:30 PM - LUNCH!

2 PM - Drive up to Fort McHenry for photo op and tour of the fort

4 PM - Downtown Baltimore SVX video filming

5 PM - Goodbyes, possible trip to local watering holes if anyone is interested

Input is appreciated.

-Mike :

Mike,
Sounds good. My son Tom and I will also be there early to look over the lot and set up the autocross course and assist you in any way possible. With my advancing age, good directions will be appreciated :D :D . How many cars to you think we will have participating? Just thinking about the two hours allocated for the driving event.........

BTW, a little something to do that I had forgotten. We need a form for everyone to sign negating any responsibility to you and your company should anyone get hurt (remember the form you sign at the Mercedes autocross?). I would think the PhillipsFood folks would want that if they have not thought about it. I hate to bring up the "legal stuff", but this day and time, it is all too necessary - one never knows.

Later,
Harry

mikecg
07-30-2003, 10:03 AM
I live about 7 miles from FT. McHenry. Let me know what you need. I'll try to be there early too. I, also, know a couple of the Park Rangers at Ft. McHenry if you want a contact. Sometimes we let there people ride along with us to do some cerimonies for Ft. McHenry.

benebob
07-30-2003, 02:57 PM
I'll follow Greenie with some excitement entered here.

If there is any thing you need as far as assistance I'm more than willing to help.

rufus
07-30-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by newsvx
:

Mike,
Sounds good. My son Tom and I will also be there early to look over the lot and set up the autocross course and assist you in any way possible. With my advancing age, good directions will be appreciated :D :D . How many cars to you think we will have participating? Just thinking about the two hours allocated for the driving event.........

BTW, a little something to do that I had forgotten. We need a form for everyone to sign negating any responsibility to you and your company should anyone get hurt (remember the form you sign at the Mercedes autocross?). I would think the PhillipsFood folks would want that if they have not thought about it. I hate to bring up the "legal stuff", but this day and time, it is all too necessary - one never knows.

Later,
Harry

Hey Harry. That's great that Tom can make it. I hope he is planning to bring the Focus as well. It is going to take a little creativity to set up the course :D . It is not so much the size of the lot, but the shape and surface irregularities that will be the biggest challenges. I think we can pull off something fun, though.

I think you are right about the time. We can do the driving event around lunch, a couple runs before and then a couple rounds after. It looks like we are going to have around 15 cars at the most, so everyone should get plenty of chances.

Do not worry about the legal issues; we have an in house lawyer who is writing up the waiver documents for me. If you have a copy of the MB club waiver form that you could email me, that would be great, but if not she can do it from scratch, no problem.

This should be fun!

I'll post a video "preview" of the parking lot tomorrow.

UStifosi
07-31-2003, 12:49 PM
I have something else planned on the 9th but I'm trying like mad to rearrange it so count me in at 90%. I will be coming from Reston, VA.

See you all there.

LarryIII
08-01-2003, 06:42 PM
Mike (Rufus),

Please post the address of the meet & a phone no. so all of us can get directions.

Thanks

Blu Laguna
08-01-2003, 10:14 PM
when you all get a firm date and location...let me know!!
E,

marlettpat
08-04-2003, 09:04 AM
this thread has been pretty slow as of late. is everything still good to go and everything?

rufus
08-04-2003, 10:40 AM
Yeah, everything is still a go.

Saturday, August 9th

Phillips Foods Headquarters Building
1215 East Fort Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21230

From I-95, you take the Key Highway exit. This is the last exit before the Tunnel if you are heading north, first exit after the tunnel if you are heading south.

Key Highway only goes one way from the exit ramp. If you are coming from the south, pay attention to the signs at the bottom of the exit ramp and do not turn until you see the Key Highway sign.

Follow Key Highway (through a couple sweet turns) for a short distance until you see the Royal Farm store on your left. You will turn left at this light (Lawrence Street).

Go one block and make another left onto Fort Avenue. Phillips will be on your right in about a tenth of a mile. It is very clearly marked, and I will try to have some sort of sign out front on the day of the event.

As you are facing the building complex, there is an alley on the far right hand side. Follow this to the back parking lot where the event will be held.

The menu will be crab cakes and grilled tuna steaks, some salads, corn on the cob, an appetizer buffet, and soda and beer.

The event starts at 10 AM, but if you can get there earlier to help set up, that would be great.

Cost will be around $20 per person for everything.

I have some nice give-aways and a raffle prize, and there will be a competitive driving event and a visit to historic Fort McHenry.

Did I miss anything?

afsquid
08-04-2003, 12:55 PM
After 3 1/2 years of owning my '92, I have only personnally talked to one other fellow owner. I will be there and I'm looking forward to it. I'm draggin my fiance to it also but I think she'll enjoy it. I've been on this site and yahoo's site for some time and I have learned some very good tips. Look forward to meeting you all there. Is it OK if I get there at 11am though?

green '92

:cool:

LarryIII
08-04-2003, 03:18 PM
Did I mention special Crab Meet Bibs ?

Ron Mummert
08-04-2003, 09:01 PM
Look forward to meeting you all there. Is it OK if I get there at 11am though?

Sorry, Squid - Larry & Rosie will have devoured most of the crab cakes by then. Bring hot dogs.

Ron.

newsvx
08-05-2003, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
Look forward to meeting you all there. Is it OK if I get there at 11am though?

Sorry, Squid - Larry & Rosie will have devoured most of the crab cakes by then. Bring hot dogs.

Ron.

Ron,
You have to get up a little earlier than that!

Be there and be square - and don't forget your box!!!

Harry

afsquid
08-05-2003, 07:46 AM
Crab cakes are good but I'll be into the fillets more.

afsquid

what's the weather going to be like, should I wash her up for the event?
:confused:

Ron Mummert
08-05-2003, 08:00 AM
what's the weather going to be like, should I wash her up for the event?
:confused: [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, please do. In fact you may want to clean up the car too.

Ron.

afsquid
08-05-2003, 08:20 AM
Looks like Ron is the SVX group comedian in the group here, or should I say that your username should be Private Joker. Good joke!

afsquid
:)

calmone
08-05-2003, 08:39 AM
ron is the comis, but most of his jokes are old!!!

Ron Mummert
08-05-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by calmone
ron is the comis, but most of his jokes are old!!!

Almost as old as some of my SVX friends, Bill.

Ron.

newsvx
08-05-2003, 10:51 AM
A little known fact - Ron is always serious! :)

CigarJohnny
08-05-2003, 07:42 PM
As of now it is pretty safe to add me to the list of attendees. I may need to drop the wife and kids off at her sister-in-law's home on Saturday. If so it will be done at sun up so I can make it to the meet by 10am. If I do not need to take her there until Sunday then I can just head straight to "Ball-more" from home. We had some nice surprises this week in the way of extra money so I may actually be able to afford to buy my own food at this meet this time! lol And maybe a drink or two afterwards. :)

I still need to see if my dad is interested in joining us. Will it be a problem as far as food goes if I bring him as a short notice (prolly that day) arrival? Let me know and I will plan accordingly.

LarryIII
08-07-2003, 04:36 AM
I'm beginning to feel quite "Crabby."

Did I mention Crab Meet (Meat ?) bibs?

newsvx
08-07-2003, 06:48 AM
Just so everyone knows: I have the traffic cones and timing equipment for the "SVX" autocross on Sat.

BTW, if you intend to participate, be sure to pump your tires up to 10 lbs over normal - it will make a difference.

My son, Tom, will also be with me to design the course (he runs the driving events for the Mercedes Club), and he promises to keep it simple. I think it will have to be since the size of the lot will dictate that.

And will this be the "FIRST KNOWN" SVX ONLY autocross?

Can't wait - this should be fun.
Harry

rufus
08-07-2003, 10:04 AM
I would like to get a final attendee count by tomorrow (Friday) for purposes of food prep. I would also like to make name tags for everyone. In answer to an earlier question, last minute guests will not be a problem, but we should try to keep it to a minimum.

The weather report for Saturday is not too encouraging, but there is plenty of space available indoors, and plenty of indoor activities available in the immediate area if things get too nasty outside.

So, if we could, one final count of the DEFINITE attendees:

Rufus (Mike) - 1

PS- Harry, I will bring a decent air compressor with me if I can fit it in my car.

Ron Mummert
08-07-2003, 10:15 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rufus
[B]I would like to get a final attendee count by tomorrow (Friday) for purposes of food prep. I would also like to make name tags for everyone. In answer to an earlier question, last minute guests will not be a problem, but we should try to keep it to a minimum.

The weather report for Saturday is not too encouraging, but there is plenty of space available indoors, and plenty of indoor activities available in the immediate area if things get too nasty outside.

So, if we could, one final count of the DEFINITE attendees:

Rufus (Mike) - 1
Ron & box - 1.5

LarryIII
08-07-2003, 10:36 AM
Rufus (Mike) - 1
Ron & box - 1.5
Larry & Rosie - 4.875 (I'm watching my calorie intake that's why I only counted myself as 3.875 instead of the usual 4. :D)

Did I mention SVX /Crab Meet Bibs?

Did I mention C. R. A. B. " Crustacean Ron And Box " ?

calmone
08-07-2003, 11:59 AM
me and the mrs. oh, make that 2.5 if i am sucessful in getting my hands on ron's b.o.w.

nubs
08-07-2003, 01:17 PM
I will be there.

newsvx
08-07-2003, 01:42 PM
I'm still coming....
so, that is,

1) Rufus (Mike) - 1
2) Ron & box - 1
3) Larry & Rosie - 2
4) newsvx, plus one (Tom) - 2

Harry

SVXRide
08-07-2003, 02:49 PM
1) Rufus (Mike) - 1
2) Ron & box - 1
3) Larry & Rosie - 2
5) SVXRide, plus one (wife - Jackie), plus 3 kids (we'll bring food for them, as they don't eat seafood - why? I have no idea...)

nubs
08-07-2003, 03:57 PM
1) Rufus (Mike) - 1
2) Ron & box - 1
3) Larry & Rosie - 2
5) SVXRide, plus one (wife - Jackie), plus 3 kids (we'll bring food for them, as they don't eat seafood - why? I have no idea...)
6) Nubs - 1

benebob
08-07-2003, 06:49 PM
1) Rufus (Mike) - 1
2) Ron & box - 1
3) Larry & Rosie - 2
6) Nubs - 1
7) Benebob - 1

marlettpat
08-07-2003, 07:16 PM
1) Rufus (Mike) - 1
2) Ron & box - 1
3) Larry & Rosie - 2
6) Nubs - 1
7) Benebob - 1
8) Marlettpat - 2

Green1995SVX
08-07-2003, 07:35 PM
1) Rufus (Mike) - 1
2) Ron & box - 1
3) Larry & Rosie - 2
6) Nubs - 1
7) Benebob - 1
8) Marlettpat - 2
9) Green1995SVX - 3

CigarJohnny
08-08-2003, 08:05 AM
1) Rufus (Mike) - 1
2) Ron & box - 1
3) Larry & Rosie - 2
6) Nubs - 1
7) Benebob - 1
8) Marlettpat - 2
9) Green1995SVX - 3
10) CigarJohnny - 2

afsquid
08-08-2003, 09:29 AM
I'll be there by lunchtime, someone take a video of the autocross.

WooHoo!
1) Rufus (Mike) - 1
2) Ron & box - 1
3) Larry & Rosie - 2
6) Nubs - 1
7) Benebob - 1
8) Marlettpat - 2
9) Green1995SVX - 3
10) CigarJohnny - 2
11) afsquid - 2

newsvx
08-08-2003, 10:42 AM
We need to also think about a "GROUP" photo............

RUFUS in the center as THE person putting this together!!!

Harry

CigarJohnny
08-08-2003, 10:58 AM
We need to also think about a "GROUP" photo............

RUFUS in the center as THE person putting this together!!!

Harry Agreed! We really appreciate your effort on this, Rufus! :)

mikecg
08-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Lets not forget me.

Originally posted by afsquid

WooHoo!
1) Rufus (Mike) - 1
2) Ron & box - 1
3) Larry & Rosie - 2
6) Nubs - 1
7) Benebob - 1
8) Marlettpat - 2
9) Green1995SVX - 3
10) CigarJohnny - 2
11) afsquid - 2
12) MIKECG- 1

rufus
08-08-2003, 02:21 PM
OK, everything is being set up as I am typing this. Should be a pretty nice spread, and it looks like we're coming in under budget so it is actually going to be $16 per person instead of the initially stated $20-25. Nothing like getting food at cost, huh?

ONE IMPORTANT NOTE:

We have a cash and carry store here on the premises that sells all manner of seafood products. I talked to the company president, and he OK'ed a one-day-only 25% discount for the club tomorrow. The prices are very reasonable to begin with (much lower than grocery store pricing) so you might want to consider bringing a cooler if you have a long drive ahead of you and you plan on stocking up. We have insulated shopping bags for those of you who live a little closer.

As an example, a 1 pound can of pasteurized backfin crab meat sells for $12.50, so with your discount it would be $9.38. Not a bad deal.

Here's the final menu:

Crab Cake sandwiches
Grilled Jamaican Jerk Tuna Steak sandwiches
French fries
Corn on the cob

Appetizer buffet:
Crab claw cocktail
Coconut shrimp
Cheese and crackers

Sodas
Beer

See you all tomorrow!

-Mike

LarryIII
08-08-2003, 05:00 PM
We are really exciterd about this meet tomorrow.
Rosie is so pumped up that she's even bringing her jugs.

[Don't go there, Ron]

PS: Did I mention the Crab Meat Meet Bibs?

CigarJohnny
08-08-2003, 05:48 PM

If it helps any, I could probably arrange for a couple frozen crab cakes to make their way home with you :D Jackie would be greatful if you could make that happen. :D

nubs
08-08-2003, 06:25 PM
Well the meet monster has struck me.:(:(:mad: I went out to get my car ready for tommorrow and found that the hairline cracks in my radiator (that I have been watching) have started to weep. I tried to repair it with a repair kit and it did not work so well. I just got finished putting a coat of JB weld on. I am going to put another coat on later tonight.
I am going to get up early tommorrow and take it for a drive to see if I can make the trip. If not I will catch a ride with someone else or just drive down in in my other car.

newsvx
08-08-2003, 06:49 PM
Damn, Mike. What a bummer! I hope you get it fixed ..... But I'm glad you are coming regardless of the ride you take!

See ya there!

Harry

SVXRide
08-08-2003, 08:46 PM
OK, everything is being set up as I am typing this. Should be a pretty nice spread, and it looks like we're coming in under budget so it is actually going to be $16 per person instead of the initially stated $20-25. Nothing like getting food at cost, huh?

ONE IMPORTANT NOTE:

We have a cash and carry store here on the premises that sells all manner of seafood products. I talked to the company president, and he OK'ed a one-day-only 25% discount for the club tomorrow. The prices are very reasonable to begin with (much lower than grocery store pricing) so you might want to consider bringing a cooler if you have a long drive ahead of you and you plan on stocking up. We have insulated shopping bags for those of you who live a little closer.

As an example, a 1 pound can of pasteurized backfin crab meat sells for $12.50, so with your discount it would be $9.38. Not a bad deal.

Here's the final menu:

Crab Cake sandwiches
French fries
Corn on the cob

Appetizer buffet:
Crab claw cocktail
Coconut shrimp
Cheese and crackers

Sodas
Beer

See you all tomorrow!

-Mike

Well, a totally new breed of "meet monster" got me -- we just got a call telling us that we (Jackie, kids and me) can rent a house over at Dewey Beach for a week.....but we have to be there this Saturday!! Guess this fits under the universal "Dad's duties" heading. No Crab meet....not AutoX...I'm sooo bummed:(
-Bill (starting to hear the sound of the waves and a box-o-wine calling his name)

SVXRide
08-08-2003, 08:47 PM

ONE IMPORTANT NOTE:

Here's the final menu:

Crab Cake sandwiches
French fries
Corn on the cob

Appetizer buffet:
Crab claw cocktail
Coconut shrimp
Cheese and crackers

Sodas
Beer

See you all tomorrow!

-Mike

Well, a totally new breed of "meet monster" got me -- we just got a call telling us that we (Jackie, kids and me) can rent a house over at Dewey Beach for a week.....but we have to be there this Saturday!! Guess this fits under the universal "Dad's duties" heading. No Crab meet....no AutoX...I'm sooo bummed:(
-Bill (starting to hear the sound of the waves and a box-o-wine calling his name)

benebob
08-08-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by nubs
Well the meet monster has struck me.:(:(:mad: I went out to get my car ready for tommorrow and found that the hairline cracks in my radiator (that I have been watching) have started to weep. I tried to repair it with a repair kit and it did not work so well. I just got finished putting a coat of JB weld on. I am going to put another coat on later tonight.
I am going to get up early tommorrow and take it for a drive to see if I can make the trip. If not I will catch a ride with someone else or just drive down in in my other car.

Mike, I know it's late but JB won't hold right for a decent amount of time. I just has trouble bonding with the plastic. Magnum Steel is the way to go. I got 60 miles out of JB. 5000 out of Magnum Steel.

newsvx
08-09-2003, 05:38 PM
The Crab Meet was tremendous. Many thanks to RUFUS and Phillips Seafoods for a great time. And I believe a great time was had by all!

Mike, you did a wonderful job with setting up the meet! It was super to see old friends and meet new folks. The crab cakes and tuna steaks were delicious. The facility was top drawer (and very pleasantly cool considering the hot, humid conditions outside!. What was the temp of the meat locker? 10 degrees????) And Tom did a great job in setting up the autocross. I do believe we have a few "converts" now. I was especially impressed with Big Ron - he is really into this now, and did well. Who would have thought? Ron, you are a surprising fellow!:D And Johnny came out to run too, didn't he?! And Ben, with the XT, almost drove the wheels off of it - good job, Johnny and Ben!

And the tour of the Phillips and the history behind it were very interesting, and it is really an impressive facility.

For all that missed the Crab Meet, you missed a great time and some very good eating!

And thanks again to Mike for setting this up and making it happen!!!!

Harry

LarryIII
08-09-2003, 06:17 PM
Harry,

You took the words out of my mouth.

Mike....you did a terrific job. Thank you.

benebob
08-09-2003, 06:25 PM
Shucks. Harry and Larry beat me to the punch. I had a wonderful time!

Ron Mummert
08-09-2003, 07:05 PM
I suggest that an autocross be a mandatory feature of every future meet. "NO GO ZOOM, NO CRAB SOUP FOR YOU!!!!!

Ron (polishing helmet).

mikecg
08-09-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
I suggest that an autocross be a mandatory feature of every future meet. "NO GO ZOOM, NO CRAB SOUP FOR YOU!!!!!

Ron (polishing helmet).

Ron you gonna use the gas pedal next time??:D Just kidin.

So next week end again right?? I'm ready, but maybe we can do ait at the mall and have a speed loop around the mall. Lots of room.

Hmmmmm Wonder what kid of speed we were hitting?? I glanced down once, Speedo read 60, but you all know the tires were going faster than the car in my case.

I had a great time. I'm defenitly going to make as many events as I can. I may even drive all the way from Wildwood, NJ for the next MD crap meet. Big thanx to all, for making my first Meet a blast. So who got the loudest lap prize?

Ron Mummert
08-09-2003, 08:19 PM
I may even drive all the way from Wildwood, NJ for the next MD crap meet. Big thanx to all, for making my first Meet a blast. So who got the loudest lap prize? [/B][/QUOTE]

CRAP meet??? No, Mike - that'd be Larry's AC Casino & Gamble yer Tranny Away Fest. Larry also took the loudest lap award with his unique, "We don' need no steenkin' cones", approach to driving.

A special thanks to MikeCG all the new guys & gals who showed up today.

Ron (I need a vroom mate).

jimagoo
08-09-2003, 09:31 PM
I'm a new member and am interested in attending. Just tell me when and where.

Thanks

jimagoo

mikecg
08-10-2003, 07:28 AM
Ok Maybe another Crab meet inloe of the CRAP meet:p

Green1995SVX
08-10-2003, 08:56 AM
Thanks, Mike for organizing this. My parents and I had a great time. Now they understand why I like going to SVX meets so much.

On another note, we stopped at IKEA on the way home. As usual, my mom bought way too much stuff, and we had to take it all out of the boxes to make it fit in my car. :rolleyes:

Oh well... ;)

Mike

LarryIII
08-10-2003, 10:29 AM
This is getting way too much. I'm all Miked out.
"Step up to the Mike and and say we are from France."

Cones, what cones ? " I don't see no steenking cones."

rufus
08-10-2003, 05:19 PM
I've got a bunch of thank you's (or thank youse, depending on where you're from :D) to throw out there too...

Thanks to Harry and Tom for getting the equipment together and setting up the autcross, and for running the scorer's table all day.

Thanks to Larry and Rosie for the bib (soon to be proudly displayed on my office wall). Additional thanks to Larry for serving as meet treasurer. I hope he didn't threaten any of you with a visit from "the boys".

Thanks to Ron for sticking around to the bitter end and helping me clean everything up, and for serving as grocery store runner.

And to anyone else who helped out in any way, thank you very much.

Finally, thanks to all of you for coming. I had a lot of fun and I hope you all did too. We should be able to do the same thing next year, although I think I'll hire someone to do the cooking next time ;)

Harry expressed interest in sending a thank-you note to Phillips for letting us hold the event on their property. I appreciate this, and it certainly cannot hurt our chances of having the opportunity to do this next year. If you are interested, here is the contact information:

Mark Sneed
President, Phillips Foods, Inc.
1215 East Fort Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21230

-Mike

LarryIII
08-10-2003, 05:48 PM
Good idea Harry & Rufus.

I brought 3 cameras and did not take 0ne picture.

Did any one take any photos?

marlettpat
08-10-2003, 06:46 PM
my dad took a few autocross pics. thats it tho. i dont think since it was a small group anyone thought to take any. oh forgot, THANKS RUFUS!! that was one of the best times of my like and you did a great job setting everything up A++++

mikecg
08-10-2003, 07:26 PM
HEY!! I had so much fun I forgot to take pictures. We need to do it again. Anyone busy Sunday??? If anyone gots pictures I'd appriate it if you could e-mail some to me.

Ron Mummert
08-10-2003, 08:25 PM
Hey Rufus - clean out your PM box. It must be all filled up with kudos...or crab shells.
Ron.

CigarJohnny
08-10-2003, 10:53 PM
I finally have a chance to sit down at the computer now that I am back home. First off, thanks again, Mike! In spite of my wrassling with the meet monster to get there (I kicked it's @ss!) I had a really great time. You dod a wonderful job with everything.

As always, it was a great pleasure to see the gang again. I've said it before and will say it again, I can't imagine a nicer group of people than are found on this board! :) I look forward to seeing you all in person again sometime in the not too distant future.

As for pictures, I took a few but will not have them developed and scanned until next week. I will announce once they are posted. I was a bit bummed that we never got that group photo. :(

Thanks to Harry and Tom for setting up the autoX! I had a freakin' great time racing but my wheel bearing didn't. I shaved a ton of time off of it's already doomed life but it was all worth it! Now I just need to shave a second or so off my times to give Harry a run at the track. For those who did not make it or never saw Harry race his SVX, it really is impressive what he can make it do! Saturday was the first time I ever pushed my SVX on dry pavement and I had no idea what I could expect from it. Harry invited me to ride shotgun on his runs and really opened my eyes to what is possible with a heavy AWD coupe. I cannot stress enough my recommendation for finding an opportunity for running an autocross with your SVX. It will greatly increase your confidence in your everyday driving knowing what the limits really are and will help develope the skills to use them.

Mike and Ben, I hope you had little difficulty following me out of Baltimore and had a safe trip home from there. I'd love to see you "local" guys a little more often. :)

afsquid
08-11-2003, 06:14 AM
To all,

I took some pictures out in the parking lot of all the cars before I left. Me and misses-to-be had a picnic to go to but at least I finally made it to a meet. The crab was good and we even bought some coconut shrimp. Well, I can email people some digpics later this week, whoever wants them. Take care all and I look forward to more local meets in the future or just plain get-togethers at a rest. or bar.

afsquid
grn '92
almost 110K

marlettpat
08-11-2003, 07:21 AM
yeah, that was definitly an interesting drive out of Baltimore. People are nuts in the city and highways around it. And what was with the football field-sized cross walk. that thing was huge.

newsvx
08-11-2003, 12:02 PM
If are so inclined, please do write a letter to Steve Sneed , the President of Phillips Food, Inc and let him know how much we all appreciated Phillips hosting the Crab Meet. There is no question that most companies would not be willing to do that. And to give us a discount on the Cash and Carry too? Wow, what a guy! Now what would you like to bet that RUFUS had a LOT to do with that too?

As for pic of the event. I have a roll of film in to be developed now and should have them back tomorrow or Wed. I will post them in my locker. If everyone that took pic could post them in their lockers, that would be great.

BTW, do we have a list of attendees (names, etc). With my advancing age, memory is a problem. How many did we have attending? I would guess 15-18 SVX's (some with 2 + people)?

Anyway, great time and great people. Certainly enjoyed it and looking forward to next year already!
Harry

newsvx
08-11-2003, 03:44 PM
OOPS.

I meant "MARK" Sneed, not "STEVE" Sneed.

Harry

CigarJohnny
08-11-2003, 06:51 PM
OOPS.

I meant "MARK" Sneed, not "STEVE" Sneed.

Harry You could have said "Sam" Sneed and really showed your age and golf-fandom. :D

newsvx
08-11-2003, 09:06 PM
But Johnny ......... I...uh..... Oh, I forget. You know the mind is the second thing to go - I forget what the first is :)

And I don't even know who Sam Sneed is. Not a reflection of my age - I just don't do golf.:D

Harry, Still sitting Up and Taking "Nurishment" .....

CigarJohnny
08-12-2003, 06:37 AM

afsquid
08-12-2003, 06:50 AM
To all that attended the meet,

I'll put what I have in my locker sometime this week hopefully. It's about time I put something in there, maybe my HOG also.

afsquid
just turned 110K
grn '92:D

newsvx
08-13-2003, 01:34 PM
I have just put several photos in my locker - ENJOY.

I did not get as many pics as I had hoped, but there are some good ones inside the building with Mike and Ron cooking and several of the group throughout the building......

Harry

mikecg
08-13-2003, 04:24 PM
Great pics. I really like the looks of the RED SVX on the track. I woder whose that was. Looks fast!!!:D

newsvx
08-13-2003, 05:18 PM
Yep, you (and the car) looked pretty good, Mike! Hope you enjoyed it!

Harry

CigarJohnny
08-13-2003, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the pics, Harry! You made my day with the ones you got of my car. Especially "Crab Fest 7"! I made it my new wallpaper. :D

BTW, How did you do in the races the following day?

LarryIII
08-14-2003, 04:30 AM
Loved the pictures Harry. Especially the one with the old, fat, bald guy in the background, stuffing his face.

I also looked at the 10th Anniv. Meet pix in your locker.
(I'm beginning to get the itch again).

newsvx
08-14-2003, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by CigarJohnny
Thanks for the pics, Harry! You made my day with the ones you got of my car. Especially "Crab Fest 7"! I made it my new wallpaper. :D

BTW, How did you do in the races the following day?

Johnny,
Glad you liked the one )or two) shots of you.

Re the Autocross on Sunday, I finished third in class. My son, Tom, (in the Focus SVT) ekked out a 44.6 sec run compared to my 45.1 sec (BUT I even beat the Cobra SVT, supercharged, but he was on street tires and the course was tight:)). And of course, my buddy in the 3 Series BMW beat both of us at 44.3 sec. The Fastest Time of the Day was a Mercedes AMG SLK 32 - he only has 300 HP at the rear wheels! He turned in a 43.8 sec!!!!!!!!! And as you know, a tenth of a sec is forever in autocross! Overall, we had a great day - and NOW I have new race tires. My old race tires (used Sunday) had two seasons of autocross on them and were worn out. Got the new ones mounted and balanced yesterday.:D

Larry,
So when is the next "NATIONAL EVENT"???

Harry

Ready to go for next month!
Harry

LarryIII
08-14-2003, 10:53 AM

Larry,
So when is the next "NATIONAL EVENT"???

Harry

The 20th Anniv. SVX Meet.