PDA

View Full Version : Dress-up under the hood

cocacola08
08-08-2001, 08:55 AM
Has anyonee done any dress-up work under the hood?

i.e. colored silicone vacuum lines, painted pieces, etc.

If so do you have any pics of it?

nvrmore100
08-08-2001, 09:10 AM
However I helped my friend do his on his Sunfire...

You can buy a good kit from www.rksport.com they have a universal kit. It does look very nice if you take the time to do it right. However it tends to look more "ricey" at the same time.

Ryan

cocacola08
08-08-2001, 10:11 AM
"ricey"

This is true however, I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but for all the people that are gungho! buy american cars, the SVX is also considered a rice burner.

cocacola08
08-08-2001, 10:12 AM
well at least this goes for all-uh-us here in hillbilly country usa

SVXMAN2001
08-08-2001, 10:49 AM
everyone seems to get a little agitated when the term "ricey and svx" are in the same sentence. For the record my generation is pretty much the one's who came up with the term "ricey" and the types of "ricey" cars that fall into this category are pretty much all hondas, acura integras and other cars that are totally out of the league of the svx. The svx is a sports luxury car, whereas all the other hondas and integras are wannabe's. The svx cannot be considered "ricey" because it is in a league of it's own, and to associate it with the term "ricey"( being that it falls in the same category as hondas and acuras) to me is an insult

just my two centss

chris

nvrmore100
08-08-2001, 11:51 AM
what I meant was it looks more "teenager modified honda style". I'm not exactly the oldest person either, but I've gotten away from that look. I like cusomizing but have gotten away from the flashy hose, yellow wheel, carbon fibre everything look. I prefer the more clean finished refined look now.

Believe me, if see my Sunfire, you can see I was not always like that. The blackouts all around, carbon shifter/pedals, and a 15" sub in the trunk, tend to make it pretty ricey as well. :D

Ryan

Aredubjay
08-08-2001, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by SVXMAN2001
everyone seems to get a little agitated when the term "ricey and svx" are in the same sentence. For the record my generation is pretty much the one's who came up with the term "ricey" and the types of "ricey" cars that fall into this category are pretty much all hondas, acura integras and other cars that are totally out of the league of the svx. The svx is a sports luxury car, whereas all the other hondas and integras are wannabe's. The svx cannot be considered "ricey" because it is in a league of it's own, and to associate it with the term "ricey"( being that it falls in the same category as hondas and acuras) to me is an insult

just my two centss

chris

Harley riders were using the term "Rice Burners" as a term for Japanese Motorcycles long before (late 60's early 70's) it was used to describe modified automobiles. Just for the record.

cocacola08
08-08-2001, 02:22 PM
If I have offened anyone, I do apologize.

Red SVX 92
08-08-2001, 02:41 PM
You know what? I consider my SVX ricey... and I have no problem with it.

I'm guessing that people think it's overly flamboyant, overly loud, etc. but I enjoy it. The stereo is perfect for me, 2 10's in the back... (well, once I get them working again).. unpainted carbon fiber hood that has gotten as many looks of scorn as it has admiration... and a big blue bottle in the trunk, which leaves zero trunk space.

I actually don't like most ricey cars... the big loud exhaust... the ridiculous body kits that look like they were out of a comic book... and so on... but I've come to like slightly "ricey" cars... big wheels... mild clear/euro lights... a semi-conservative body kit.. and so on....

However, I was amused when my friend said that I was driving a typical white guy's car.... seems that most people assume that 3000GTs, Stealths, 3000ZXs, Supras (not too much), and (ugh) Probes are driven mainly by rich white guys going through their mid-life crisis. To my friend, the SVX fit in the same grouping as the 3000GT and Stealth, and I found the assumption quite interesting... seeing as how most of the cars I named are Japanese machines, some with twin-turbo power... I guess people expect Asians to be driving tiny cars with tinier engines and huge body kits...

Just some random thoughts.

cocacola08
08-08-2001, 03:08 PM
So...now that we've determined that evenone has their own view on what looks good/classy/tacky.

I think that MY car could use some extra color under the hood, only because it looks pretty tore up and grungy (especially since the power streering pressure hose sprung a leak), so I thought that I'd put a little extra effort into making it look (in my own taste) nice.

But I guess the rims that I have for the car (which are not on it at this time) along with the stuff in the engine bay, instead of either getting the comment, "dang rice-boys," or, "dang loud-stereo-bling-bling..(for lack of a better phrase),"

I'll just get "damn kids"

kev

Oh BTW for those (not necessarily svx.net members, but anyone who happens to frown on a young guy driving a nice-very luxurious-sporty car) who thinks that I'm just out spending mommy & daddy's money...sorry, but I've got a wife, a son, a house, a career, 2 two cats and a dog. So don't say I don't have any resposibilities.

sorry had to vent some end-of-work-day frustration

nvrmore100
08-08-2001, 03:41 PM
Hhaha go girl! ;)

I get the same thing, after working my a$$ off all day, I hate knowing that most people don't respect my knowledge.

Like I said before though, if you want the extra color, go to www.rksport.com If you buy the extreme kit they have a decent amount of hosing that you use pretty much everywhere under the hood. I would go red if I decided to do it again. We chose yellow, I must admit it looked awesome, but you had to keep your engine like mint if you wanted it to stay that way. Red would hide the dirt better.

If you do get it done, send me some pics.

Ryan

cocacola08
08-09-2001, 06:55 AM
hey nvrmore. just an FWI it says "I HAVE A WIFE", not I am a wife.

Habesha
08-09-2001, 06:56 AM
Is a 93 Legacy RS (EJ-20TT) with a C-West kit ricey? :D

Aredubjay
08-09-2001, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Habesha
Is a 93 Legacy RS (EJ-20TT) with a C-West kit ricey? :D

Hmmm. I think it may be so much so that is falls into the "Pilaf" category. :D

Habesha
08-09-2001, 08:05 AM
that I have to wait another 2 years before I can get insured on an SVX )-: I guess dropping that EJ-20TT into an XT is out of the question? Of course, at that point, I think the size of brass balls outweighs any riceyness. PS, have any cajun chicken to go on my pilaf? (You know, an XT powered by an EJ-20TT might be able to eat up most of those ricers for lunch, no?)

nvrmore100
08-09-2001, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by cocacola08
hey nvrmore. just an FWI it says "I HAVE A WIFE", not I am a wife.

Just being facetious. There is my big word for the day, enough work, time to go home. :D

Ryan

SVXMAN2001
08-09-2001, 02:43 PM
Harley riders were using the term "Rice Burners" as a term for Japanese Motorcycles long before (late 60's early 70's) it was used to describe modified automobiles. Just for the record.

I stand corrected, boy do I feel stupid

chris

Aredubjay
08-09-2001, 04:12 PM

chris

No need to feel "stupid." However, remembering things from that era can make you feel "old." :D

fourth_beegee
08-12-2001, 12:24 PM
just remeber RICE stands for Really ignorant car inthusiast. Those are the kids who japanese writing across the hood, which is exyremely funny on a saturn, and neon lights under the car, and a resonator tip that does nothing.

Red SVX 92
08-13-2001, 05:51 PM
Actually, I think RICE has an E at the end, not an I (inthusiast). It's enthusiast, by the way. That's a nice comment, there, and I generally agree with what you say, but I think the way you said it is somewhat ignorant. Also, there's people who don't modify their cars just for speed, if you can believe it. In fact, some people here are getting better-sounding exhausts, without expecting any increase in power. Are they riceboys? And Japanese writing... actually, there's a lot of Chinese out there too... and perhaps thye know what it actually means. While I wouldn't do it myself, I like the idea of putting my Chinese name somewhere on the car, just to personalize it. Am I a riceboy? I think that, that kind of writing is semi-acceptable, depends on each situation. And neon lights, well, I'm sure it's just for looks. I'd have to smack anyone that thought a neon light gave them a 30HP boost.

People would say that I'm destroying the look of my car by putting a carbon fiber hood on it. Should I be angry with them, especially if they don't know about the benefits of carbon fiber, or because they don't care about power and speed? No, that's their opinion, and they have different priorities than I do. Should I lash out at people who say my nitrous will destroy the car's reliability? No, because they have different priorities... they care about safety and durability... I care about speed and power.

Maybe I am a riceboy, but I won't stand by when someone ignorantly lashes out at so many stereotypes of groups like an automotive version of John Rocker.

picklesbitch
08-14-2001, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Red SVX 92
stereotypes of groups like an automotive version of John Rocker.

Dood, why you be dissing Rocker? Everyone, and I mean everyone has a right to there own opinion. As a free American and Defender of the Constitution of the United States, I will uphold his right to express himself, even though I may disagree with what he is saying. Rocker may not be the brightest bulb in the box, but being PC and saying what people want to hear is pretty chickenhearted. It takes a brave(and sometimes ignorant) man to say what he truly believes in a PC world.
Mike

cocacola08
08-14-2001, 09:15 AM
once again I say, "So...now that we've determined that evenone has their own view on what looks good/classy/tacky/ricey/etc.etc.

Enough bashing eah others opinions. We're all on the same team here. Letting everyone in the world know that the SVX is one of the best--if not the best--combinations of performance/luxary/styling ever put into a car.

Habesha
08-15-2001, 06:59 AM
To be honest, body kits get on my nerves since 99% of them don't go with the lines on the car. The exceptions, of course, are those made by STi :D

*mutters something about insurance, curses, and making pacts with Shaitan* Once I finally get my SVX *mutters more about making pacts with Shaitan* I don't intend to use it for anything more than cruising around town in my white zoot suit (I love that thing) on my way to either a fancy restaraunt, a swing club, or the theater. I just don't see the SVX as anything other than *the* penultimate luxury car

The Legacy is a nice touring sedan too - 'specially when you drop a stock 280bhp EJ-20TT into it. I'd love to see what HondaBoy would do when he gets his pretty little Civic eaten up by a Subaru who's only aftermarket parts are an intake/exhaust system and a handling package :cool:

cocacola08
08-15-2001, 12:04 PM
I've got the first part of my "project" done.. I'll try to get some pictures up soon. I'll post a message once they are in the locker.

I've painted the strut tower covers and the black part of the throttle body cover and the piece in front of it.

After I started I kept saying to myself, "This is going to look like crap I wish I hadn't started painting." But to be totally honest it turned out really well. Even my wife who has no interest in cars whatsoever said it looked pretty good.

nvrmore100
08-15-2001, 12:17 PM
What color did you go with?

cocacola08
08-15-2001, 12:24 PM
"Daytona" yellow,

yellow mostly because that color is already in there, and leaves 2 less things for me to do.

the dipsticks for both oil and tranny fluid are yellow. Also the power wire for my amp is yellow so I said may as well be a bumble bee Svx....maybe once i'm done w/everything I have in mind, I'll get a liscence plate that says "SBX", oh wait no no i won't that'd just be foolish. I mean I'm already taking away from the original design...I don't want to change the name too!!!

nvrmore100
08-15-2001, 12:26 PM
Are you going with the full hose kit? Or decide against it? It's a nice looking thing once you are all done, it just takes a while cutting all the hoses the right length.

Ryan

cocacola08
08-15-2001, 01:15 PM
Ya I was planning on doing that eventually.

The Auto zones around here have colored hose kits, I think I might get those....eventually....$20 a pack, and who knows if that'll be enough in just one pack...

gonna be a slow project.

nvrmore100
08-15-2001, 02:34 PM
The big problem is getting the correct hose sizes. Yes it is a SLOW process....as you need to measure cut and replace just about everything. It does look pretty cool though when you are done. Are the kits different diameters? You will need at least 3 different sized hoses just for the small ones alone.

Ryan

cocacola08
08-15-2001, 02:35 PM
each kit comes with hoses in 3 three different sizes

picklesbitch
08-15-2001, 09:39 PM
Doesn't dale at motorsportwarehouse have silicon hose kits specifically for the SVX? Another place to check besides griots garage, when detailing, is Eastwood. They have lots of neat stuff, paints, and even powdercoating kits for sale.
Mike

svxcess
08-16-2001, 08:03 AM
Dayle sells the silicone hose kits cut specifically for the SVX. His kit also includes the windshield washer tubing (which I think is a little overkill) I bought just the kit for the engine from him in silver tubing.

cocacola08
08-16-2001, 08:07 AM
What was his price on the tubing?

svxxx26
08-16-2001, 08:49 AM
Just hope and pray that SVXphile never stumbles onto this thread . . . :eek:

svxter
08-16-2001, 09:40 AM

chris

And also, just for the record, the term "rice burner" was definitely meant to have derogatory and racist implications. I must confess that also bothers me about the current use of the term "ricey" and "rice boy".

During the 70's, I rode a Triumph 650 - a "limey" bike, but considered several notches up from a "rice burner". The Harley dealer in downtown Houston the 70's would talk to people on Triumphs, BSAs or Nortons, but wouldn't even let Honda or Yamahas onto the property.

cocacola08
08-29-2001, 09:07 PM
I finally got some pics of what I've done so far.

I'll get them on here as soon as I get a chance to get back to my mother's shop to upload them from the camera

SVX10
08-29-2001, 10:35 PM
Sounds like a cool project. One quick question, though...what hoses need replaced, and do all of the fluids have to be drained?
Mat-1

cocacola08
08-30-2001, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by SVX10
Sounds like a cool project. One quick question, though...what hoses need replaced, and do all of the fluids have to be drained?
Mat-1

I'm not on the tubing, haven't tackled that part yet.

cocacola08
08-31-2001, 10:14 PM
I have placed pictures of what has been done so far, in my locker

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?cocacola08|871

SVX10
08-31-2001, 11:47 PM
Put some yellow tubing in there and you're set!!! That looks good.
Mat-1

cmoreloc13
09-01-2001, 12:25 AM
When someone tells me I have a Rice Burner or a Rat Car(mostly from Union people), I just smile and say "It's a Rice Rocket".

dromano
09-02-2001, 07:21 PM
I have placed pictures of what has been done so far, in my locker

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?cocacola08|871
Kev, the oil filler cap on new Subs is "yellow", I've been thinking about getting one.
Pics look good.:)

dromano
09-02-2001, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Aredubjay

No need to feel "stupid." However, remembering things from that era can make you feel "old." :D :p Yah right Mister 1955, the year I started high school.:rolleyes:

dromano
09-02-2001, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Red SVX 92
Actually, I think RICE has an E at the end, not an I (inthusiast). It's enthusiast, by the way. That's a nice comment, there, and I generally agree with what you say, but I think the way you said it is somewhat ignorant. Also, there's people who don't modify their cars just for speed, if you can believe it. In fact, some people here are getting better-sounding exhausts, without expecting any increase in power. Are they riceboys? And Japanese writing... actually, there's a lot of Chinese out there too... and perhaps thye know what it actually means. While I wouldn't do it myself, I like the idea of putting my Chinese name somewhere on the car, just to personalize it. Am I a riceboy? I think that, that kind of writing is semi-acceptable, depends on each situation. And neon lights, well, I'm sure it's just for looks. I'd have to smack anyone that thought a neon light gave them a 30HP boost.

People would say that I'm destroying the look of my car by putting a carbon fiber hood on it. Should I be angry with them, especially if they don't know about the benefits of carbon fiber, or because they don't care about power and speed? No, that's their opinion, and they have different priorities than I do. Should I lash out at people who say my nitrous will destroy the car's reliability? No, because they have different priorities... they care about safety and durability... I care about speed and power.

Maybe I am a riceboy, but I won't stand by when someone ignorantly lashes out at so many stereotypes of groups like an automotive version of John Rocker. Has anyone noticed what brand of car has replaced the Chevy among the hispanic americans? I suspect they don't think their Civics, Integras & Accuras are ricey, but they do like 6 inch diameter Borla exhaust tips:D

nvrmore100
09-03-2001, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by dromano
Has anyone noticed what brand of car has replaced the Chevy among the hispanic americans? I suspect they don't think their Civics, Integras & Accuras are ricey, but they do like 6 inch diameter Borla exhaust tips:D

Dont forget the gold wire rims that stick out 2 feet outside the car....sheesh :rolleyes:

Ryan

Aredubjay
09-03-2001, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by nvrmore100

Dont forget the gold wire rims that stick out 2 feet outside the car....sheesh :rolleyes:

Ryan

EEEEEWWWWW!! NAAAASSSSSSSTEEEE!!! :D

Rev Hard
10-06-2001, 09:25 AM
I have BLUE NEONS and Blue Hoses on my 14 second talon... Is that ricey? I have yellow hoses and a c/f hood on my otherwise stock svx.. Ricey? And My Honda has all kinds of Rice Mods a.k.a. Neon lights (in and out) Led lights in the washer nozzles. a big boomin stereo and it is dropped way beyond a useable drive height..3 inches... Ricey?

Ricey is like a male opinion

Male opinions are like A$$holes
everyone hasone and wants nothing to do with anyone elses
(in most cases..UGH)

PAUL!

cocacola08
10-09-2001, 08:55 PM
Oh god, The Uncle Ben's issue has been revived again.

Aredubjay
10-09-2001, 09:44 PM
Oh god, The Uncle Ben's issue has been revived again.

That was three days ago. If it was "Minute" brand, it'd be way overdone. :D

cocacola08
10-10-2001, 09:10 AM

That was three days ago. If it was "Minute" brand, it'd be way overdone. :D

May have been 3 days ago (4 now), but its up to the minute 4 me since I haven't checked here for so long.

Aredubjay
10-10-2001, 09:17 AM

May have been 3 days ago (4 now), but its up to the minute 4 me since I haven't checked here for so long.

I know. I'm sorry. We miss ya, guy. :D

cocacola08
10-10-2001, 09:30 AM
I know. I'm sorry. We miss ya, guy. :D

Its sad, we have a forum on our intRAnet here at work. I get chewed out for using that. Its only available from comany computers tied to the network, so obviously on the clock.

Ass backwords if you ask me

WestCoastSVX
10-10-2001, 10:32 AM

Its sad, we have a forum on our intRAnet here at work. I get chewed out for using that. Its only available from comany computers tied to the network, so obviously on the clock.

Ass backwords if you ask me

Or more appropriately, Bass Ackwards. :D

Seriously though, that does suck. I've had my share of corporate regulations regarding internet use, but that is way over the top.:(

cocacola08
10-11-2001, 10:29 AM
Oh well I still jump on here from time to time, if anything at least read the new stuff, and post later.

:)