PDA

View Full Version : Car is dead!

NJSVX
06-03-2003, 02:50 PM
My SVX is getting power from the batter when I have the ignition in the ACC position. When I try to turn the car over everything goes dead. If I leave the ignition in the ON podition I see a little power get to the indicator panel. Also, if I do get power to when in the on position the car still will not turn over. Also if I step on the brake pedal everything shorts out.

Could this be a faulty ignition switch?

ANy help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Adam

Zeppelin
06-03-2003, 02:54 PM
Just a guess, but is your battery completely charged? Sounds like an almost dead battery to me..

NJSVX
06-03-2003, 02:56 PM
I tried two different bateries in it. I also hooked up a batery jump start to the car and it still died.

Do you know anywhere that sells aftermarket OEM parts?

Cheers,
Adam

Zeppelin
06-03-2003, 03:11 PM
Did you charge the new batteries? Most only come with a minimal charge, so they're no good until you charge them.. I'd try charging them for a few hours, then try to get it to a parts store like Autozone, they can check your charging system for you.

For OEM parts, try www.subaruparts.com

NJSVX
06-03-2003, 03:28 PM
I tried that. Still did not work.

Andy
06-03-2003, 03:41 PM
I had similar symptoms on an old car of mine. Turned out to be a corroded connection on the earth strap. A quick clean and grease soon sorted it out.

Zeppelin
06-03-2003, 03:51 PM
If you haven't, I'd suggest doing the alternator wiring upgrade (with grounds) before tackling anything else.. Easy to do, and works wonders for the electrical system.

NJSVX
06-03-2003, 04:15 PM
Thanks, I'll do that.

I appreciate all the adive and help.
Adam

Earthworm
06-05-2003, 05:04 PM
I too think it's a connection issue (either battery post or ground). Good luck getting it resolved!

NJSVX
06-05-2003, 05:47 PM
Thanks. I ordered the stuff and should get it in soon.

Cheers,
Adam

SUBIE TECH
06-20-2003, 05:06 AM
is this mark b's little brother from colls nj?

NJSVX
06-20-2003, 05:31 AM
Yeah. Actually I am much taller then him....

The car started the other day and ran fine. But now she is dead again. I think it is the ignition switch. All the lights are on and the power goes to the car when the ignition is in the ACC position. When I try to turn her over she cuts out. When I turn the car off and put it back in the ACC position she re-sets everything.