PDA

View Full Version : (R)everse stopped working... time to change tranny???

SVX_2000
08-07-2001, 09:17 AM
Well,

I shift the car into (R)everse and the transmission doesn't engage. If I give it gas, the engine just revs as in (N)eutral. Has my time arrived to look for a rebuilt tranny or is there something else that can be done that will fix the problem?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Juan

Aredubjay
08-07-2001, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by SVX_2000
Well,

I shift the car into (R)everse and the transmission doesn't engage. If I give it gas, the engine just revs as in (N)eutral. Has my time arrived to look for a rebuilt tranny or is there something else that can be done that will fix the problem?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Juan

Over the past two years of reading of similar experiences, I regret to inform you, it's time for a new tranny.

Likely, if you get the car going forward, you'll notice a slippage in the 2-3 shift, which is also a sign of . . . well, you know.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, so, will someone else confirm this? I *could* be wrong, but, I don't think so, in this case.

nvrmore100
08-07-2001, 10:04 AM
but did you check the fluid? Low on fluid can sometimes keep an auto from going in to gear....chances are it's shot though.

Ryan

SVX_2000
08-07-2001, 11:17 AM
Ryan,

I'll check the tranny fluid when I get home this evening. I'll post the info tonight.

Aredubjay,

I have not noticed any slippage in any of the gears, but I guess that could start hapenning anytime.

Thanks for the tips,
Juan

SVX_2000
08-08-2001, 08:52 AM
I checked the transmission fluid and it marks half full. So, it looks like I am going to have to look for a place around San Jose, CA where I can have the tranny replaced with a rebuilt one.

Has anyone mentioned in this board of places nearby San Jose where they had their tranny replaced?

I know there is a Subaru dealer on Stevens Creek, but if someone knows of a different place I could look for the best deal possible.

Thanks in advance,
Juan

nvrmore100
08-08-2001, 09:05 AM
Here is my suggestion. I agree your tranny is probably shot. However I have seen vehicles that need fluid right to the top or they have problems. The couple bottles of ATF you will need will probably cost you about $5, a new tranny is going to you cost you $2900+.....

Wouldn't you think you would wan to try topping it up first? I don't know about you, I had a ***** of a time getting the cash to fix mine. I would think you would want to go the cheap route first as well.

Ryan

SVX_2000
08-08-2001, 09:23 AM
Ryan,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll get some ATF and fill the fluid to the top and see if that solves the problem. I'll post again after I get it done.

-Juan