PDA

View Full Version : Battery Installation/Starting difficulties

Dave J.
05-26-2003, 01:17 PM
Here's the situation. I removed the battery from my 1992 SVX last November since I did not use the car during the winter. At that point it started and ran fine.

I kept the battery charged and re-installed it a few weeks ago. Everything electrical works except the starter. When I turn the key to start nothing happens. Headlights, turn signals, radio, power windows, door locks etc. all work fine. Thinking the starter had failed I used a remote starter switch to see if it would turn the engine - works just fine.

At this point I suspected that the security system could be at fault. When I got the car last summer I never used the security system. The previous owner did not use it and I guess had disbaled it somehow. There is a toggle switch beneath the steering column and I thought that would disable the security system but it doesn't seem to do anything.

I read the various posts in the tech forum about programming the remotes. Though there are at least three versions involving pressing the remote button anywhere from two to five times (to program a single remote), I tried them all with no luck getting the car to start. Howvever, the remote locks and unlocks the doors, and arm/disarms the alarm.

I also tried using the security system over ride procedure in the owners manual (for lost or defective rmotes). That didn't work either.

When I was programming the remote, the only thing I noticed that is different from the standard procedure specified in the posts is that the horn does not beep when the remote button is pressed the 2, 4 or 5 times necessary to program the remote. The parking lights do flash though, and the doors unlock and lock.

Other than the over ride procedure in the Owners Manual is there a way to disable the factory alarm/security system or by-pass it?

Will getting another remote make any difference? Has anyone had the same problem? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave J.

Earthworm
05-27-2003, 05:46 PM
Well unfortunately I don't have a factory alarm in my SVX so I can't help you there. As I was reading your post my initial suggestion was going to be the neutral select switch.

Have you tried starting the car with the shifter in neutral?

Dave J.
05-29-2003, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the reply. In fact I did try that with no luck. Another thing I noticed though is that there is a second red LED on the dash near the drivers door. It just stays lit (red)all the time. It looks to be a factory installation but I've never found a refernce to it in the owners manual or anywhere else.

Maybe I have a hybrid system with combination factory and after market parts. I guess I'll have to remove everything to find out!

Thanks again for your help.

Dave J.

lee
05-29-2003, 08:24 PM
there is a relay under the dash (driver's side I think) that is normally closed, and the alarm system opens the relay to disable the starter when the alarm goes off (or at least that's the theory). While it seems unlikely, I suppose it's possible for this relay to be frozen open when the power was reapplied to the system after the battery issue.

Anyway, I would poke around under the dash, find the relay and check the wiring. Should be relatively easy to spot because the wires are thick enough to interrupt the starter. If you want to try this, and do not have the wiring references, post back and I'll look it up.

Dave J.
05-30-2003, 05:59 PM
Lee,

Thanks for the reply. That sounds reasonable to me since everything else seems to work fine. I'll take your advice and try to find the relay. Any references you have are greatly appreciated!

Thanks again.

Dave J.

BLKSVX92
05-30-2003, 07:50 PM
the toggle switch you found, is most likely the winter summer switch for the windshield wipers just so you know

lee
05-30-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Dave J.
Lee,

Thanks for the reply. That sounds reasonable to me since everything else seems to work fine. I'll take your advice and try to find the relay. Any references you have are greatly appreciated!

Thanks again.

Dave J.

maybe this will help, note the connector for the relay is a 4-wire plug. note this is for a 92 model year SVX

Dave J.
06-03-2003, 10:04 PM
Lee,

Thanks for the diagram. I'll see what I can do this weekend and hopefully its the relay!

Though the weather is cooler than normal for this time of year, it would be great to get this car back on the road. Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Dave J.

Dave J.
06-09-2003, 09:49 PM
Well thanks to everyone's help I finally figured out the problem with my security system. There are both factory and AM systems in the car! The AM system works with the OEM fob. It is the AM system that is the origin of the second LED indicator on the dash near the vent, and the toggle switch under the dash. With the key on, moving the toggle switch left/right activates/deactvitaes the AM alarm system.

But I'm not out of woods yet. In order to get the car to start I have to arm the alarm (locks the doors, four beeps from the siren etc.) And even when the car runs it won't idle. If you turn the engine off and open the door the alarm sounds. You have to use the fob to disarm the alarm and get out of the car. It seems like the starter interupt relay wiring is backwards or the two alarms are aat odds somehow. Anyway I'll keep at it and when I get it straight I'll let you know!

Thanks

Dave J.

Earthworm
06-19-2003, 05:08 PM
rip it all out! j/k

but maybe find a place that sells alarms with free installation :D

Dave J.
06-23-2003, 09:19 PM
Well-after five months, a ton of perseverance and a lot of help and advice from all you network members, my Subaru is running normally again!!!

Picking up on Lee's advice I found the AM alarm starter interupt relay and removed it. It seems to be working normally but since the alarm wouldn't, I made a jumper wire to replace the relay. Turning the key on, I moved the toggle switch, which (when going to the right) disables the AM alarm. That got the car to start without any alarm hang ups or interference.

As for the idling problem, a somewhat large vaccum hose had come lose from the air intake duct between the air filter and the throttle. Slipped it back on and now everything is normal again. My neghbors came out and gave a round of applause!

Everyone's help and support on this network has been invaluable. It's great to know there is a place where help is just a message away.

Thanks to each and everyone (esp. earthworm, lee, Randy, blksvx92)for all the assistance, humor and interest.

Dave J.