PDA

View Full Version : OOOOooo!!! Shiny Wheels!

FlagstaffSVX
08-04-2001, 04:56 AM
I know I am stupid for asking a question such as this but what would be bad if I sanded off the paint on my stock rims to make them a shiny aluminum??? Perhaps buffing them even? Would I have to do them one at a time and take them off so as not to get any crap on the rotors? Is sanding off the paint going to damage anything? I really wanted to buy some neat-o shiny rims but with the recent tranny replacement I'll be working just to make the rent.

joeaux
08-04-2001, 02:07 PM
>>...what would be bad...<<

They wouldn't be stock anymore. Just me.
-joe-

ehyde111
08-05-2001, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by FlagstaffSVX
what would be bad if I sanded off the paint on my stock rims to make them a shiny aluminum??? .

Would they rust? I don't know. Maybe clear coat them in the end.

nvrmore100
08-05-2001, 07:37 PM
My rims are probably the ugliest things I have ever seen. I hate them. 80% of the paint is off them, however they will not become shiny. They don't rust at all, it's just aluminum, and I have never seem alum wheels rust before. However it isn't the bright alum you would think it is. It is this dull dark grey. Maybe just years of brake dust, but they are awful.

One thing to keep in mind though, be careful with sandpaper. I would hate to see how many swirlmarks you would get in them. They wouldn't exactly look good like that.

Here is my recommendation. Buy a $5 big bottle of Castrol superclean. Do not buy the wheel cleaner, buy the strong stuff. It says don't use on rims as it will eat right through the paint/clearcoat on them. Spray a TON of it on there (I used nearly half a bottle) let it sit, then rub with a rag. Once this is done, most of the paint will be off (except the really stuck stuff). Take your car to a hand wash pressure washer place. Spray them again, let them sit for about 5 min, then pressure spray it with tire spray setting. Then spray them off with the power rinse. They will all clean and the pain/clearcoat will be gone.

Remember they will still look like crap. I would recommend taking them to professionally polished.... However then you are talking about new rim cost if they do it right.

Ryan

ehyde111
08-05-2001, 07:50 PM
What about repainting. I had this link in my old email files. It has step by step instructions for striping and repainting rims. Check it out.

http://www.homestead.com/jbrinkerhoff/wheel.html

nvrmore100
08-05-2001, 09:14 PM
Maybe I will give that a shot. Sounds like a lot of work...but at the same token, I have a few other modes of transport I could use in the meantime. Very impressed though.

Ryan

BadDog
08-06-2001, 08:08 AM
AFAIK almost all aluminum wheels are painted silver and clear-coated. If you take the clear-coat & paint off, I think you will be very unhappy with the results. I think you only have 3 real options for better-looking wheels: 1) have them stripped and re-painted by a shop that knows what they're doing, 2) have them chromed (which personally, I don't think would look good at all), or 3) save up for a nice set of after-market wheels....

Aredubjay
08-06-2001, 08:23 AM
[i]2) have them chromed (which personally, I don't think would look good at all)[/B]

Just in case you were wondering:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/alanscouse/54.jpg

BadDog
08-06-2001, 08:26 AM
hmmmm I'm still on the fence... maybe because chroming them makes them look like they're a smaller diameter?

nvrmore100
08-06-2001, 09:14 AM
I still think the stock wheels are just plain ugly to begin with. Sorry guys that like them, they are just not that nice. I personally think Subaru did a wonderful job on the factory Legacy GT wheel (98-99 kind of years).

Maybe I will take the set I bought for my Sunfire, and put them on my SVX. Only downside is they are only 205's vs. the 225's on my SVX now. Hmm...ugly or more traction...ugly or more traction....

Ryan

Aredubjay
08-06-2001, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by nvrmore100
I still think the stock wheels are just plain ugly to begin with. Sorry guys that like them, they are just not that nice.
Ryan

Ooooo. Them's almost "fightin' words" to us purists. :D However, the wheels were not only designed to "look good." The unidirectional design was created to cool the rotors.

nvrmore100
08-06-2001, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Ooooo. Them's almost "fightin' words" to us purists. However, the wheels were not only designed to "look good." The unidirectional design was created to create "fans" to cool the rotors.

Haha sorry. :D

Fans maybe, but I like wheels that show off the discs. I can't see the fan shape being more cooling that wheels that have a lot more open exposure to the disc. Unless they have found a way to force air in, and allow for hot air to escape, I doubt they do much but make my car look uglier. ;)

jk had to throw that in to bug ya. Staying up too late has put me in a weird mood today...please forgive. :D

Ryan

Aredubjay
08-06-2001, 10:23 AM
jk had to throw that in to bug ya. Staying up too late has put me in a weird mood today...please forgive. :DRyan

You're forgiven. I'm in "one of those moods" today too. To bed at 2 -- up at 6 -- massive work overload -- not happy -- asked co-workers if they had any arsenic I could borrow. YUK!

CGLathrop
08-06-2001, 10:35 AM
I looked into getting my extra set of stock rims refinished. It was going to ccst me close to $400. I have decided ot wait for when I get the whole car repainted. Then I will get the rims painted to match. Perhaps you might want ot consider painting yours to match the color of your car.

My $.02
Chris

nvrmore100
08-06-2001, 10:37 AM

You're forgiven. I'm in "one of those moods" today too. To bed at 2 -- up at 6 -- massive work overload -- not happy -- asked co-workers if they had any arsenic I could borrow. YUK!

Hehe sounds like me, although I got up at 7 this morning. Unfortunately I have a bunch of angry developers on my butt asking for software. Too bad SUN couldn't read the email I sent for licenses for some reason. :(

Now I'm even more behind.

Ryan

nvrmore100
08-06-2001, 03:14 PM

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/alanscouse/54.jpg

Hehe, maybe it is just me...

Aren't the wheel's backwards? Shouldn't they be going anti-sawblade?

Ryan

nvrmore100
08-06-2001, 03:17 PM
Duh...i mean sawblade...not anti...

Ryan

Aredubjay
08-06-2001, 03:31 PM
Duh...i mean sawblade...not anti...

Ryan

Yes, they are. We obviously let the guy know this. He basically said "screw it, I like 'em that way." So, we didn't pursue it further. :D

nvrmore100
08-06-2001, 03:42 PM
and I thought I was going to stir some contrevery with you Aredub. :D

Oh well, I tried.

Ryan

Aredubjay
08-06-2001, 03:45 PM
and I thought I was going to stir some contrevery with you Aredub. :D

Oh well, I tried.

Ryan

If you want to stir controversy, just talk about . . . . . . on second thought, let's not. :D

The guy who had the chromed wheels and "Oreo" paint scheme was from New York. You don't push those guys very much or you end up "sleepin' wid da fishes." :D:D:D

nvrmore100
08-06-2001, 03:48 PM
AWS.....ooops I mean AWD, yeah the beuty of AWD that is it. :D

Here is a totaly crazy observation. With the avatars of the SVX you have (which I snagged the claret one for my AIM), I believe Hytei made them right? Why is it the passenger window rolling down? You would think it would be the driver going by and waving as he zoomed past on the highway or something.

Oh when will this day end........

Ryan

oneothefewproud
08-06-2001, 03:50 PM
Oh Damn AreDub,

Ryan and I wanted to give you a rash'in of **** about that. I am still "connected" over that way. If yous knows what I mean.

AreDub,

Can I move the steering from the front to the back. Then I can have RWS. (rear) wheel steering. Any contraversy there? No, I didnt think so.

Aredubjay
08-06-2001, 03:52 PM
AWS.....ooops I mean AWD, yeah the beuty of AWD that is it. :D

Here is a totaly crazy observation. With the avatars of the SVX you have (which I snagged the claret one for my AIM), I believe Hytei made them right? Why is it the passenger window rolling down? You would think it would be the driver going by and waving as he zoomed past on the highway or something.

Oh when will this day end........

Ryan

Yep, Henry Tei made them. He explained the RHD phenomena in one of his posts. I can't remember what the reasoning was. I just wish I could tint the windows.

My day is ending in ten minutes. I'll catch ya'll when I get home.

FlagstaffSVX
08-06-2001, 04:10 PM
I too like rims that show off the discs, especially when I'm looking to buy cross-drilled rotors, but since I'm fresh out of cash I think the stock rims look excellent. That chrome looks really nice too, come to think of it, I've never seen a car with rims painted the same color as the car. Someone told me it looks really slick though. Now where would I go to get my rims chromed? I know it can't cost less then striping and painting them myself but it might be easier or more convienent. (yeah right) Does anyone even know what kind of shop chromes items? Time to do a Googely search I guess...

nvrmore100
08-06-2001, 04:40 PM
call a couple wheel shops where you live. They will be bound to know a place that does. It costs (at least when I looked before) about $90 to $150 a wheel. The big problem is finding a place that will chrome dip plastic. As the center caps look awful without getting them done....anyone know where that other chrome stock wheel pic went...

Ryan

Aredubjay
08-06-2001, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by FlagstaffSVX
I too like rims that show off the discs, especially when I'm looking to buy cross-drilled rotors, but since I'm fresh out of cash I think the stock rims look excellent. That chrome looks really nice too, come to think of it, I've never seen a car with rims painted the same color as the car. Someone told me it looks really slick though. Now where would I go to get my rims chromed? I know it can't cost less then striping and painting them myself but it might be easier or more convienent. (yeah right) Does anyone even know what kind of shop chromes items? Time to do a Googely search I guess...

If you do a search on the Yahoo archive, the information on chroming the wheels is there. The guy in Reading who had his chromed had to send the wheels to one place (A wheel refinisher) and the centers to a model car company who chromed them. Interesting process. Give it a search, I think you'll find the info there.

dromano
08-26-2001, 09:15 PM

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/alanscouse/54.jpg This is da wheel police... da wheels is on da wrong side...