PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Sender question

scottsubarus
05-15-2003, 11:46 AM
Didn't get any response in the Babble forum so I'll try here.

Has anyone replaced themselves the sending unit in the tank??

I bought a used fuel pump assuming it would come with the "float" as most do to cure my gas gage problem. Should the float assy be part of the fuel pump??? Subaruparts.com has a pic, but it's not clear if it does or not.

Scott
Omaha

mattski
05-15-2003, 12:26 PM
I had the sending units in my Legacy replaced, not in my SVX. There were two of them and they were accessed through the top of the tank, under the rear seat. Tank had to be less than 1/2 full to work on them. Had to run the car and disconnect the fuel pump to relieve the pressure.

Matt

scottsubarus
05-15-2003, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the reply. Our Impreza also has the "duel" set up, but not the SVX. Most cars with electric pumps the pump and sending unit are all one unit that pulls out the top of the tank..the SVX is a little different....more of a challnage.

Scott

Aredubjay
05-15-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by scottsubarus
Thanks for the reply. Our Impreza also has the "duel" set up, but not the SVX. Most cars with electric pumps the pump and sending unit are all one unit that pulls out the top of the tank..the SVX is a little different....more of a challnage.

Scott

Scott,
The only person I know who's done this successfully is Bill Wagner (Billsvx) and hasn' t been part of the forums for a while. He sold his SVX a couple of years ago to his brother.

Perhaps, if you go to his profile, he still has a valid e-mail address.

I was going to buy a pump/sending unit from Harry Newman, but, he is having difficulty removing it, and he's got the tank out of the car. :(

I remember Bill describing it as "An Octopus." I have a diagram of the setup on my home computer, that might help. I'll try to get access to my computer tonight (not easy these days) and post the diagram. It might help. FSM instructions don't help much either.

scottsubarus
05-15-2003, 02:05 PM
WOW. It sounds like quite a project. My son was trying to remove it from the SVX last night. Being all hunched over and smelling the gas fumes and not making any progress, he was starting to loose his cool. He said he was sure the guy who designed this set up for Subaru probably was fired by now for having such a crappy design. LOL the joys of working on a car yourself.

Scott

Aredubjay
05-15-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by scottsubarus
WOW. It sounds like quite a project. My son was trying to remove it from the SVX last night. Being all hunched over and smelling the gas fumes and not making any progress, he was starting to loose his cool. He said he was sure the guy who designed this set up for Subaru probably was fired by now for having such a crappy design. LOL the joys of working on a car yourself.

Scott

Yeah, I had popped the cover and was trying to see how to knock the ring off the unit. Still didn't get it figured out. O'course, I didn't take much time. I figured, if I was going to really tear into it, I'd have to put out my cigar and I didn't wanna do that. :D:D:D

The saddle tank with the jet that (via vacuum) pulls gas from the passenger's side to the main side to be pumped is the goofy part, as I recall by looking at the diagram. Again, I'll see if I can find the diagram I scanned. I hope I still have it. I posted it to this forum at one time, but can't seem to find it with a search.

scottsubarus
06-06-2003, 10:05 PM
well a used set of floats fixed the problem. Got the floats, and fuel pump from Tom at Aarons subaru wrecking yard in Seattle for $75
Son installed them from the access hole and gage is working great!!

Scott
Omaha