PDA

View Full Version : sad headlights

SVXtc
07-29-2001, 12:08 AM
does anyone have a problem with there headlights. mine look like completely nasty and drty. i know museumquilty did his own project. is this the way i should go? does anyboby have any suggestions?

Aredubjay
07-29-2001, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by SVXtc
does anyone have a problem with there headlights. mine look like completely nasty and drty. i know museumquilty did his own project. is this the way i should go? does anyboby have any suggestions?

I've successfully used the Novus product. It comes in three parts #3 - Deep Scratch Remover, #2 - Fine Scratch Remover, #1 - Clean and Shine. Start with the number 3 and rub it in "agressively." Do the same with number 2. Then, polish to a bright shine with number 1. If you have a small buffer, your results will even be more dramatic. Just be sure to mask off the areas around the headlights if you use the buffer. I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised. The guys at Rockford, for whom I did my "demonstration" were.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml;$sessionid$51QURRIAAAYX5WBBLJTSFFGYE FNGMIV0?CATID=4528&_requestid=103110

Seraph
07-29-2001, 09:00 AM
I use the 3M products. The procedure is the same as Novus product.

Lwin

sk8ing19
07-29-2001, 04:06 PM
Okay bought the car around four months ago the right side headlight was broken so I had the dealership put a new one in, as the final part of closing the deal. I then started to notice that the driver side headlight was kind of brownish in color, and was just about to buy a new one (350 bucks) when the guys over at JCS informed me of a quick fix. So I stoped in at auto zone and picked up 2000 grit 3M sandpaper, and this turtle wax Scratch/ Buff compound. Total cost around 6 dollors. All I did was wet sand the Headlight untill it looked clear again which wasn't much. Then used the turtle wax compound to buff it. It took a total of about 15 minutes and the headlight now looks as clear and new as the new one next to it. If you have any questions just PM me.

kvnobrien
08-01-2001, 02:04 PM
Randy,
I finally got my Novus Polish, since I missed you when you went to Vermont. Anyway, you can get this stuff at pool shops too and I found by a place around the corner from me.

"I have a 36,000 gallon pool so I need 70 lbs. of HTH, a new vacuum head, some PH balance, and some of that polish for headlights."

Attendant, "Uh, headlights?"

LarryIII
08-01-2001, 02:43 PM
Kevin,

Does your pool have those blue-white headlights ??

Larry III :cool:

1994SubaruSVX
08-02-2001, 04:01 PM
randy used it on my headlights at the midwest meet and they look great. :)

EveryShadeofBlue
08-03-2001, 01:15 PM
Sk8ing19,

Are you possibly damaging the clearcoat or whatever coating is on the headlights by using wet sandpaper on them???? Anyone know?

svxxx26
08-03-2001, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by EveryShadeofBlue
Sk8ing19,

Are you possibly damaging the clearcoat or whatever coating is on the headlights by using wet sandpaper on them???? Anyone know?

If it's the hard protective coating that is turning yellow, it may as well be sanded/polished/buffed off of the headlights. The down side is that the plastic in the headlight lenses is relatively soft, so it becomes more prone to stone pitting.

Personally, I use the Novus polish - about once a month or so.