View Full Version : Finished C/F Hood

Jaylinb
07-26-2001, 11:03 AM
Okay, here's the pictures of my painted hood with the two racing stripes:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Jaylinb/674.jpg
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Jaylinb/675.jpg
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Jaylinb/676.jpg
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Jaylinb/677.jpg

Let me know what you think. I realize it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I am happy with the result. They said it couldn't be done, they said it would be a big mess, but this hood came out absolutely beautiful painted. Don't ask how much it cost, though! :eek:

Seraph
07-26-2001, 11:08 AM
CF hoods can be painted. It just cost a lot. I love the painted hood sans the stripes. But even with the stripes, it looks nice.

Good job!
Lwin

oneothefewproud
07-26-2001, 11:58 AM
Hey that looks good. What did you do about the hood struts? And how much was it?

Caio
Wayne

kvnobrien
07-26-2001, 01:38 PM
AWESOME!:cool:

Jamsvx
07-27-2001, 01:40 AM
That looks excellent!!!!

Any chance of some shots that show the whole car so that we can see the effect that the c-f and bonnet scoop has on the look?

Outstanding!:D

Jamsvx

Jaylinb
07-27-2001, 06:21 AM
The shop was too scared to drill the holes necessary for the hood lifts. They didn't want to be responsible for the hood itself. I sent a message over to museumquality asking how he mounted his, but I don't know if he received it or not. The spots for the holes are there, I just need to tap them out and put on the lifts.

Does anyone else have their stock lifts on the new hood? If so, please let me know how you mounted it and how it's been working out for you. The shop was concerned there would be too much flex in the hood itself and wouldn't hold up under the stress very long. Any feedback to this? I may end up just doing it myself.

As a side note, I'm looking into relocating the windshield washer nozzles to the wiper blades. I've seen them on other cars and I believe I can retrofit the hoses to our blades. Will keep you posted on that.

cdigerlando
07-29-2001, 10:45 AM
Good job. Looks nice. What kind of paint did you use?

Jaylinb
07-30-2001, 10:05 AM
They used the kind of paint formulated for fiberglass, which has some flex to it to allow for the natural movements that this kind of material exhibits. The brand, I believe, was Sikkens. The color match to the stock is excellent, but they warned me that if I did not keep the car out of the sun as much as possible that the hood may fade differently from the rest of the car - which makes sense from what I've heard about the lower plastic body panels fading differently; I'm guessing the paint reacts differently to different substrates.
The painter also warned me against using wax on the hood. He suggested using just a good brand of polish, which is what I do anyway. From what he says, the wax gets built up over time and can eventually form small hairline cracks in the paint. But this wouldn't start showing until years down the line, so I'm not too worried right now.
I'll be giving updates on how the hood lifts install goes, as well as the washer nozzle relocation.

FYI: T.C. Spoilers confirmed that the clear gelcoat they used on the hood was petroluem-based, not water-based, for anyone else wanting to do modifications to their own hood.

Seraph
07-30-2001, 10:25 AM
- Jaylin
'95 L AWD "Daemon"
Beware he who would deny you acces to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
- Pravin Lal

I thought the "L" series in 94 and 95 are only FWD. If I did my homeworks right, AWD comes only in Ls and Lsi in 94 and 95 SVXes.

Lwin

Jaylinb
07-30-2001, 11:17 AM
My car is listed as an L model, but it is definitely AWD with the transfer clutch between the rear wheels. It has (had) cloth interior, gray/black trim instead of woodgrain, and no sunroof. No power driver's seat, no CD player, no other options at all.
:(
I'm upgrading the interior slowly. I just bought some used leather seats off eBay and am working on installing them now.

Seraph
07-30-2001, 11:35 AM
this is odd. thanks. Perhaps it might be an LS. What is your first 10 digits on your VIN. That should tell you if yiou have an L, LS or LSi or even the non-existant LE.

Lwin

Jaylinb
07-31-2001, 06:05 AM
My VIN starts JF1CX335XSHxxxxxx, so that tells us (from the manual):

JF1 = Type of vehicle: passenger car
C = Line: Subaru C series
X = Body type: 2-door coupe
3 = Engine type: 3.3 liter engine
3 = Model: L
5 = Weight class & restraint type: (not sure, this info from '92)
X = Check digit: varies
S = Model year: 1995
H = Transmission type: Full-time AWD 4AT

From the 1992 manual, the models listed include a base model (code 2), the L (code 3), the LS (code 4) and the LS-L (code 5).